Cleaning after range time

This is a discussion on Cleaning after range time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was in the military we used to take our rifles in the shower with us and clean them with shaving cream. I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning after range time

When I was in the military we used to take our rifles in the shower with us and clean them with shaving cream. I have no idea why it works but you could never find a spec of residue on or in the rifle afterward. You can flame away all you want, but be forewarned that this was the practice of at least the entire battalion of one of the finest infantry brigades in the U.S. Army.

Now I would never even think of cleaning my firearms like that... I have no rational reason why I wouldn't, its just that I cringe at the thought.

Detail Strip

I normally detail strip my CCW stuff after shooting it. I work in a gunshop and range, so I have a whole workbench at my disposal and basically all the lubes, goo, and chemicals I want. Small investment of my time is all it is, and I like doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    When I was in the military we used to take our rifles in the shower with us and clean them with shaving cream. I have no idea why it works but you could never find a spec of residue on or in the rifle afterward. You can flame away all you want, but be forewarned that this was the practice of at least the entire battalion of one of the finest infantry brigades in the U.S. Army.

Now I would never even think of cleaning my firearms like that... I have no rational reason why I wouldn't, its just that I cringe at the thought.
    We used to do the shower thing with our rifles too. Never tried the shaving cream thing though. My guns nowadays don't get the shower treatment, course they don't get covered in Ft Benning mud either.
    Be reasonable. See things my way.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    How do you clean your gun after you shoot it? Do you just take off the slide and do a basic solvent/lube job? Or do you completely break everything down and scrub it clean?
    I detail strip every time. For cleaning and lubrication, of course, but equally for inspection because I rotate my 3 pistols between range and self-defense duty. Since my life could theoretically depend on the carry pistol functioning, I must know that every part was not broken or damaged the last time I used it, and that the pistol still passes the function tests specified in the manual.

For this purpose, I have at least two of any gun I would carry (G17, G19): primary CCW gun, and a second practice gun.

The actual CCW gun, once broken in and tested thoroughly, stays clean and low round count. A couple times a year I shoot out the carry ammo and put a few hundred rounds in it for good measure. But then it gets cleaned thoroughly and stays that way for another 4 - 6 months.

The second G19 or G17 is the practice gun: used at the range and in training classes. Being Glocks, I let them run 1,000 rds before doing anything. Then they get thoroughly cleaned and lightly relubed.

I always take the entire top half of my glocks apart when cleaning. At first I didn't do this but then when I took it to the armourer for something, he took the striker assembly out and cleaned the channel out of a bunch of gunk that I didn't even think could get there. I am assuming that the solvent that i used to clean the rest of the gun with seeped in there and gathered grit and dirt. I also take the lower apart regularly to make sure that everything is clean and working properly.

The best thing is to detail strip it and give it a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner every so often.

my range day i shoot 500 plus rounds. so with my glocks i break all of it down(inside slide, trigger comes out, etc,,) . no place for junk to hide. with the wheel guns i open them up about every other range day. you should see what can get inside wheel gun. other guns it just depends on the brand and how much i shoot them.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I clean my range/practice/training gun after 1000 rounds or so. It is a Glock 17, so no need to clean everytime. I did push it once to nearly 3k rounds before I started having failures to go into battery(2x in 3k rnds). After thorough cleaning that went away. My carry weapon(Glock 27) I clean every 500 rounds or so and I shoot the SD ammo through every 2months or so.

SY

I break everything down and clean throughly within 24-36 hours. I've paid too much not to take care of them.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I field strip everything I've shot from the preceding week, every Wednesday, while I'm in my man watching the shooting programming on the Outdoor Channel.

And then once a month a complete disassembly.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

All depends on a carry gun it gets wiped and sometimes the slide removed to clean but usually its a bore snake down the barrel and swab out the other stuff i can get to ..

i dont like taking one down i know was working before .. come 1k to 1.5k rounds it gets detailed Stripped.. To much take down also increases wear

A range gun if its a high volume shooter gets cleaned about every 1k rounds and detailed 3-5k

If its going to be shot once every 6 months it gets normal cleaning and oiling before storage and then 3-5k rounds a detail strip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links