S&W 442 with CT Laser-First Range Trip

This is a discussion on S&W 442 with CT Laser-First Range Trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been shooting and carrying J frame S&Ws for a good many years, usually with a Hip grip and stuck in the front of ...

Thread: S&W 442 with CT Laser-First Range Trip

S&W 442 with CT Laser-First Range Trip

I have been shooting and carrying J frame S&Ws for a good many years, usually with a Hip grip and stuck in the front of my pants. After starting to pocket carry and wanting a lighter weapon, I bought a 442. A great little gun by the way, and decided to try a Laser Grip with it.

I had never fired any weapon with a laser before so this was a new experience. First for the Laser, I went with the Crimson Trace LG-105. This is a newer model and I really like it. It is a small open backstrap type grip made from a hard polymer material with some stippling in it to enhance the grip. I noticed no more felt recoil and the polymer material is not as grabby as rubber and still keeps the guns profile small.

I used my carry ammo of Speer Gold Dot 135 Gr +p and a bunch of my reloads in 158 gr RNFP Poly Coated Lead and also 158 Gr JSP from Winchester. Both of my reloads were noticeably lighter in recoil than the Gold Dots but they all shot well.

Inside and at low light, the laser is bright enough that it looks like it will burn a hole through the target but surprisingly, I could still see it in full sunshine at 10 yards on an IDPA cardboard target.
    The LG-105 has a front mounted button that turns the laser on when you grip the gun. It has no master on/off switch but I didn't see a need for one any ways.
    I worked with three IDPA targets set up in a three sided training pit that I had to myself so I could be real flexible with my shooting. The laser really brought out the accuracy the 442 is capable of. I stepped off 25 paces and was still able to keep five shots inside 1 1/2 inches and at 7 or 10 paces, I often had four out of five holes touching. The 442 has probably had 200 rounds through it and 500 dry fires and the trigger pull is getting better but is still pretty stout and you do have to concentrate on your technique to make your shots go where the laser is pointing.
    I think the laser is a great training aid and also is great for self defense as another tool to use with the open sights that are not as sharp to my old eyes as they once were.
    I bought the Crimson traces from Optics Planet where I have bought rifle scopes and binoculars before and also got good deals. They were the cheapest price at $168 with free shipping and plus I had a 10% off coupon I got for reviewing another item I had bought there, that lowered the price even more.

[
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks for the right up! I like the look of those CT grips, I haven't seen those ones yet.

I purchased the LG-105 a few months back and agree with your post pretty much.

I have returned to the Tyler Grip, however...I just got tired of looking for the red dot laser and felt that I was creating bad habits. I shoot much faster with regular grips...and, not all my revolvers have a laser and I believe in uniformity of training.

CTC Grips

I have the LG-405 grips. I actually bought them with a 642 at a S&W show at my range. I was able to try a couple of models and choose the 405's. It just felt best for me. Funny thing though, I went to the range this week for the first time and shot 50 rounds w/o the laser turned on. Maybe just being stubborn but I just wanted to learn how to shoot (as I'm a rookie) with my gun w/o any assistance. Next trip will be different. The recoil w/grips did not seem as bad as I have read that it might be. Just a little sore between the thumb & index finger when it was over. I think the grips helped.

I had a set of laser grips on my sp101, but I was getting dependent on the red dot and not using it as it was meant to be, so I got rid of it.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

What's wrong with being dependent on the red dot? If you open your mind and use the red dot to develop your point and shoot skills, the red dot has done it's job."As it was meant to be" I guess we should all be reading by candle light and using slide rules. Technology marches on.Get on board or get left behind.Any advantage to faster and more accurate shooting is a plus in combat.

"What's wrong with being dependent on the red dot?"

1. I found that I, personally, take more time acquiring the "red dot" on the target rather than instinctively firing.

2. Not all my revolvers...and none of my autos...have lasers, and I am a firm believer in uniformity of training. I even have all my autos DAO just like my revolvers...just so I train the "same" on every weapon.

3. In bright light...no laser.

4. Batteries go dead...and...golly, I'm still looking for that red dot.

Look, I had one...and yes, it did help my POA with my short 642. After awhile...I replaced it with the Tyler grip. Just my 2 cents.

Links