We all suffer from..."UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH GUNS" (UK)

This is a discussion on We all suffer from..."UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH GUNS" (UK) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So that's what's wrong with us.............. The stupidity of the UK never ceases to amaze me. ....Regrettably, there are a lot of anti's here in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We all suffer from..."UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH GUNS" (UK)

VIP Member

We all suffer from..."UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH GUNS" (UK)

So that's what's wrong with us..............

The stupidity of the UK never ceases to amaze me. ....Regrettably, there are a lot of anti's here in the US, that think the same way.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/di...entPK=18814108

MAN HAD 'UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH GUNS'

When police raided the Torquay home of a bus driver they found an arsenal of illegal weapons, some hanging on the wall and others hidden from view a court has heard.

At Exeter Crown Court the prosecution alleged that 53 year old Jeremy Couchman was a man with an 'unhealthy obsession with guns', and not the collector as he claimed.Prosecutor Jonathan Barnes said among the weapons seized in the police raid were prohibited guns and others for which Couchman did not have a firearms certificate or a shotgun licence.

"We are not dealing here with an armed gangster or a man who sells weaponry. Mr Couchman has led a blameless life but his good character has nothing to do with this case," said the prosecutor. "We are dealing with the possession of guns which are prohibited by law and others for which certificates are needed. He did not have the relevant certificates."

The jury heard that while some of the guns were on display others were hidden, one in a pillow case on Couchman's bed. There was also ammunition that could be fired from some of the guns and all those seized were in working order when tested by the Devon and Cornwall police armourer.

Mr Barnes said in the case of one of the guns, a Derringer, Couchman had ordered ammunition from the United States. He also had a box containing a wide range of equipment for loading and firing guns.

"This is a man with an unhealthy obsession with guns and all too interested in their use and firing. If he was just a collector he could have had the guns deactivated," said Mr Barnes.

He told the jury that Couchman bought some of the weapons through a website from an American gun dealer in New Hampshire. The guns had passed through Customs labelled as antiques and Couchman was to tell police he believed that he was lawfully allowed to hold them without a certificate.

The prosecutor said under the law a person was entitled to have antique weapons as ornaments or for curiosity.

"The Crown says that is best described as the blunderbuss exception but that is not the case here," said Mr Barnes.

He said that some of the guns were over 100 years old but that did not necessarily make them antiques.

Couchman, of Tor Church Road, Torquay, has pleaded not guilty to a total of 18 charges. Eleven of the charges relate to possessing prohibited weapons; four to possessing weapons without a firearms certificate and one to possessing a shotgun without a licence.

Couchman has also denied purchasing or acquiring 50 rounds of .410 ammunition without a certificate and the alternative charge of attempting to purchase or acquire that ammunition.

The trial continues.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just FYI
    The reason that we are millions of hand & long guns SHORT over here in the U.S. is that so many of our guns were sent over to G.B. as donations in the WW II era - back when ads were run here in the U.S. BEGGING Americans to send them any and all guns and ammo in order to stop a possible invasion by Hitler/Nazis.

Hey...Great Britain....How about sending all of those guns back over to us?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    An unhealthy obsession? Really? Eighteen charges... 11 for working firearms?

I wonder what they would say about some Northern AZ residents? Good God. One neighbor of mine had more than a dozen shotguns alone. And that's not even a lot of firearms...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."- Sigmund Freud

apparently they can "outthink" the 'master'.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    "Unhealthy" obsession with FREEDOM, John Bull...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just FYI
    The reason that we are millions of hand & long guns SHORT over here in the U.S. is that so many of our guns were sent over to G.B. as donations in the WW II era - back when ads were run here in the U.S. BEGGING Americans to send them any and all guns and ammo in order to stop a possible invasion by Hitler/Nazis.

Hey...Great Britain....How about sending all of those guns back over to us?
    Well, they wouldn't want to feed OUR "obsession", now, would they?

BAC
    Pleading not guilty to those charges... some hidden and some not? That sounds a bit like civil disobedience to me. Good on this man, and I'm curious if there's anything we could do to support his case. He certainly deserves it. Even though they're the minority, there are Brits who would support his case too.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but even if no political change occurs at least it'll be one victory in a place we've pretty much written off, right?

-B

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Yea, I'll be moving there real soon.

Makes me grateful for the good ole USA!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

JD
    Administrator
    Excuse me whilst I hurl, yak, barf, vomit, all the time screaming profanities about GB...or shouldn't it just be "B" at this point? I don't see what's so "Great" about the place

Well except they're the only real ally we have left on a Military standpoint...

EW3
    Unfortunately, the UK is beginning to look more and more like Airstrip One of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Interesting, I've never heard of "an unhealthy obsession with sex" applied to rapists in GB...or "an unhealthy obsession with "futbol"" applied to their soccer yobs...

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Where do you even start with garbage like this? Its a shame that the average british citizen has no control over their destiny!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Acceptance, acceptance is the key. If I have not control over my gun "obsession", gotta accept it. woohoo
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Apparently the man was from Torquay...maybe a retired hotel manager for whom the stress had become too much?

Sorry, I can't even hear the word "Torquay" without thinking of Cleese's Fawlty Towers.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

VIP Member
    Gosh, it's just plain insane over there.

Yep, I'm obsessed with my guns. I repeatedly work the action on my Win. 1895 and I remain completely and utterly fascinated by it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links