Why can't I drop a single round into the chamber of my XD?

This is a discussion on Why can't I drop a single round into the chamber of my XD? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something keeps the slide from going all the way forward, but I can't see what. If I drop the round just right on the empty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I drop a single round into the chamber of my XD?

Something keeps the slide from going all the way forward, but I can't see what. If I drop the round just right on the empty mag "plastic part that pushes the rounds up" (follower, I think?), and allow the slide to push the round in, it works. But if I drop it all the way into the chamber, that slide wont go into battery. XD9SC.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    First guess is that the extractor is preventing it. I have a .40 and haven't tried this yet. Something to try next time I guess.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Try it again by putting the round all the way into the chamber and letting the slide shut harder this time. The extractor will prevent it if you ease it forward because there's not enough force to spring it out and around the rim of the cartridge.

But, I've heard this is hard on your extractor, so I don't know if you should do it very often. I've done it a time or two because I figured it was less likely to cause bullet set back.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    THIS IS AN UNSAFE PRACTICE . Not only does it overstress the extractor ( all pistol extractors are designed for the rim to slip under from below ) which can lead to failure , but if you get a round with a high or soft primer it can lead to spontaneous discharge , I once had a S&W 5906 fire doing this with the safety engaged, and no mag inserted I mention smith because the third gen smith autos with no mag , and safed is about as safe as it gets . I do speak to the issue from experiance not some theory . Allways load from a mag , and top the mag back off if you feel the need to carry max capacity.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks guys, especially redneck. Not something I'd do with any frequency anyhow, just trying to know my gun intimately. Great info.

Proper way to load +1 is to chamber the round normally from the mag, drop the mag load another round, slap mag in place. NEVER load round directly into chamber for above reasons.

You also need to fire at the range this way to ensure your gun/mag functions in +1 condition (at least a few times). Sometimes the extra stress from the mag spring can cause FTF/FTE jams. Most people at the range just load a mag, slap it in and fire.

The previous posts have pretty much nailed it, I'd just add that specifically, the extractor hook is what gets stressed by this and may chip or break off. That hook is what grabs the case rim and extracts it from the chamber after firing.

If I'm not mistaken, Chris (P95Carry) has some great detail pics of a broken extractor in a Para Ord he use to own.
    Jack

FWIW this practice (dropping slide on a round) is referred to as the "Bubba Load".
    Extractors get broken this way. If you want to gain a better understanding of why, field strip your gun and slide a dummy round under the extractor from underneath. Think about the way things are working here: The rim slides under the extractor, slide pushes round forward into the chamber. After firing, the extractor holds the case rim while the slide pulls back and extracts the case from the chamber. At some point another portion of the case rim (usually the bottom left as you look at it from the rear of the slide) makes contact with the ejector, which flips the empty case around the lip of the extractor and out the ejection port in the slide. At no point does the extractor need to flex in the normal cycle of operations. When "Bubba Loading" you will force either extractor to flex about 3/16" to get around the case rim, or the case rim to deform (resulting in a stuck case in the chamber).

Austin

No!

Don't do it. It's no different than trying to hammer a lid onto a jar rather than screwing it on. Only more dangerous.

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered it being dangerous. I knew that it did put some stress on the ejector, but not that it could cause a AD/ND.

I swear I learn something new every day here.

Stripped and cleaned today. I see whats up now and I'll never try it again.

Something I didn't see mentioned yet is the necessity of loading and firing in this way if, for whatever reason, you had no magazines with you but still had ammunition and the gun with which to fire it. In a survival situation, it beats no gun at all.

Obviously it's not something I'd practice if I didn't have to, but it is possible to "help" the extractor around the cartidge's rim if you're not in a hurry.

This is why, with few exceptions, I don't own guns with magazine disconnects.Though the chances of needing to load and fire singly are remote, I want the capability if I ever need to.

There is some modern auto pistol that, in the manual, specifies this method for firing single rounds. I can't for the life of me remember which it is, and it's making me crazy(ier). I want to say it's a Ruger P series, but I can't find the manual for my old P85.

It's definitely a gun with a pivoting external extractor arrangement not a 1911.

Joe

ETA:
    Yep, it's specified in the Ruger P85 manual on page 12.

From the P97DC manual:
    TO LOAD AND FIRE (WITHOUT MAGAZINE)
    In the event that the magazine is missing or for training purposes (where it is
    desirable that only one cartridge be loaded and fired at a time for safety), the
    pistol can be fired with the magazine removed. To do so, keep the pistol pointed
    in a safe direction, grasp the slide, and retract it fully to the rear. Next, push the
    slide stop upward so that the slide remains to the rear. Insert a single cartridge
    directly and fully into the chamber. Taking care to keep the pistol pointed in a
    safe direction, depress the slide stop. This will cause the slide to move vigorously
    forward into the firing position. WARNING: The pistol is ready for instant use in
    the single-action mode once the slide moves forward.
    Finally, depress the decocking lever until the hammer drops -- now the pistol can
    be fired in the double-action mode. Single-action firing is possible by manually
    cocking the hammer. Note that the slide will not automatically remain open if
    the pistol is fired without the magazine in place. The ejector must always be pivoted
    to its rearward (upward) position when firing the pistol without the magazine.

Nathan
    --
    Ruger KP97DC .45 (x2)
    Ruger P97DC .45
    Ruger 22/45 .22
    Kel-tec PF-9 9mm
    Kel-tec P3-AT .380

Beretta 9x-series pistols are designed to be loaded this way without it causing any problems, FWIW. Definitely a no-no in 1911s and most others, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links