Tactical Accessories

Tactical Accessories

This is a discussion on Tactical Accessories within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought an AK47. A friend of mine told me that I am limited as to how many accesories I can mount on it. I ...

Thread: Tactical Accessories

Tactical Accessories

Just bought an AK47. A friend of mine told me that I am limited as to how many accesories I can mount on it. I looked on the ATF web site but could find an answer. Any body know for sure?

Thanks, Bob

Not what i heard, the AK market is huge.

Lead Moderator
    Maybe you state that limits what you can put on it.

Oops, what I meant is maybe State regulations ban or limit certain accessory items.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I know some states limit certain "assault" type guns to either postban configuration (no bayonet lugs, no hicap mags, etc) or ban them altogether. Not sure offhand what IL's regulations are but with all those whacked out Chicagoland restrictions nothing would sursprise me.

Other than that, there's the Sec 922R compliant parts to consider when talking about AK rifles. I'm not the most versed in this but generally speaking, 922R states that AKs must have at least a minimum of US made parts (7?) to be legal - a US made barrel would be 1 part, the trigger assembly counts as either 2 or 3 parts, etc, etc.
    Jack

The accesories are considered (evils). Pre ban maximum of seven. Post ban maximum of three. Thats what I learned when i had some assualt rifles.
    extended mag=1 evil
    fold-up stock=1evil
    flash hider=1evil
    bayonet=1evil
    Can't remeber the rest.
    Last edited by chuckels59h; November 3rd, 2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: additions

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckels59h View Post
    The accesories are considered (evils). Pre ban maximum of seven. Post ban maximum of three. Thats what I learned when i had some assualt rifles.
    extended mag=1 evil
    fold-up stock=1evil
    flash hider=1evil
    bayonet=1evil
    Can't remeber the rest.
    Don't forget the pistol grip that enables the shooter to rapid fire from the hip with the precision of a marine sniper.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

The issue is critically important if you don't care to get an all expense paid vacation with a new boyfriend.

Whether it is pre-ban, post-ban, US made, foreign made, or a combination of the above is important. Who manufactured it may also affect the 922R "count". Maclean has the general federal rule (922R) correct, but the details are what matters! State laws will also apply possibly, particularly where you live. Parts count vary. My Mak needs either 6 or 7 USA made parts to be compliant dependent on the exact configuration it is in.

Chuckels and Son have identified the "evil" parts, but, for instance, an operational bayonet lug could also get you in trouble.

You have a PM with some other ideas too.

Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links