Springfield GI sights

This is a discussion on Springfield GI sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got me an SA 1911A1 GI 'cause I love the retro look. As those of you who have one know, the sights are useless, ...

Thread: Springfield GI sights

Springfield GI sights

Just got me an SA 1911A1 GI 'cause I love the retro look. As those of you who have one know, the sights are useless, especially for those of us with old eyes.

Any suggestions on what sights to use without radically changing the GI look?

2. Remove Ads

Get the King sights

I had the same problem as you with the Springfield GI sights. I couldn't see them. I bought the King Tappan Combat sights and had them installed and they made a huge difference. The Springfield 1911 models have a special size for sights, so remember that when you order them.

Here's another thread on this subject.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=23196

simonz

OD*
    I like the Yo-Bo retros on the rear and a standard blade on the front.

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/products/retrosight/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Od has the answer

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    There is also the crimson trace grips. The appearance would change just a little
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    While the sights are small, part of the problem might very well be
    you need new glasses---trifocals etc?

Simonz and OD - Thanks for the link. Either one could be the ticket.

nn - You make a great point about the glasses. I have multi-focus specs, but need a fresh pair. Maybe I'll wait on the sights until I try out some new eyeballs.

JMHO. The G.I. sights are small, but they are effective and with some time and practice they can work very well. If the gun is to be carried often and concealed there are advantages to having small "anti-snag" sights. Just from personal experience I would recomend you spend some time with the gun before making any mods. A 1911 in your current configuration has been saving the bacon of Americans for 96 years in bad places and bad conditions. I use G.I. sights on my Government model and would not change them out for anything have seen to this point, but then again I am old fashioned about a lot of things

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    JMHO. The G.I. sights are small, but they are effective and with some time and practice they can work very well. If the gun is to be carried often and concealed there are advantages to having small "anti-snag" sights. Just from personal experience I would recomend you spend some time with the gun before making any mods. A 1911 in your current configuration has been saving the bacon of Americans for 96 years in bad places and bad conditions. I use G.I. sights on my Government model and would not change them out for anything have seen to this point, but then again I am old fashioned about a lot of things
    Amen!

Cheers! M2

OD*
    there are advantages to having small "anti-snag" sights.
    I have the Yost's on 5 1911s, they do not snag.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

All good points and I agree with you. In my case, the first handgun I ever shot was a WWII Remington Rand .45 when I was 12. The GI sights worked fine for many years. Now, 45 years later, my eyes just ain't what they used to be and they need a bit of help.

I wish I could keep the original sights, but my groups aren't getting any tighter, especially in dim light. Maybe a little white paint on the front sight?

I know what you mean about dim light. It seems that during the last 20 years. the quality of iron sight manufacture has declined greatly and now companies are quite content to put fuzzy iron sights out on the market place. I think as consumers we should DEMAND a return to the tighter and sharper tolerences that gunmakers used in sight manufacturing when I was in my 20s.

I have a couple of 1911's and I highly recommend the Crimson trace for you. I also have the old eyes. I used to shoot competition revolver in my younger days. Now that I'm getting back into shooting, the eyes are a problem.

This is my RIA with the CT grips. Lasermax makes a laser that mounts in the recoil spring plug if you prefer. Try the laser and forget the sights. I also have a "loaded" Springfield with better sights than the GI. That helps, but I'm sold on the lasers.

I know what you mean about dim light. It seems that during the last 20 years. the quality of iron sight manufacture has declined greatly and now companies are quite content to put fuzzy iron sights out on the market place. I think as consumers we should DEMAND a return to the tighter and sharper tolerences that gunmakers used in sight manufacturing when I was in my 20s.

Links