A 1911 Mag Question.

A 1911 Mag Question.

This is a discussion on A 1911 Mag Question. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased a Rock Island Tactical .45. It came with an 8-round Novak mag. I also purchased 3 McCormik Shooting Star 8-rnd mags for ...

Thread: A 1911 Mag Question.

A 1911 Mag Question.

I recently purchased a Rock Island Tactical .45. It came with an 8-round Novak mag. I also purchased 3 McCormik Shooting Star 8-rnd mags for it.

While I have been working my way up to 500 rounds for break in, I noticed that I have had 3 failures to feed. Always on the last round. Did it with brass ammo and Blazer ammo. All 230 grain FMJ.

My question is, is this normal? Are the 7 round mags better suited for a 1911 or are the 8's just as good and I should allow for more break in.

Thanks in advance to all the 1911 owners out there.

SY

I own 6 novak 8 rounders. Shoot my 1911 every weekend. 7K already on the weapon and never had a misfire on any round. I have an SA GI.

Administrator
    Nope, it's not normal.
    Number or otherwise mark your magazines to find out if it is only happening with one magazine or all of them.
    Since your mags are new and of good quality then you should also check to make sure that your slide breech face is smooth and that your extractor is not overly tensioned.
    Since upward magazine spring force decreases as cartridges are depleted from the magazine by the time you get to feeding the last cartridge in the magazine there is not enough upward mag spring pressure to overcome excessive extractor tension or any roughness in the feed related contact areas of the pistol.
    This sometimes gets better on it's own as the extractor tension eases up a bit and as a possible sharp "knife edge" on the extractor hooks dulls and the extractor stops cutting into into the cartridge cases as they move up into it during the feed cycle.

If only one magazine is causing the problem then install a Wolff Extra Power magazine spring in that magazine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

JD
    Administrator
    Well, the 1911 was originally designed to have a seven round mag, MOST 8 round mags are the same dimensions as a 7 round mag. Some claim this causes issues, however, If I'm not mistaken, the Novak mag is of a newer design made to accommodate the 8th round.

This does sound like a mag spring issue to me, but I find it odd to have it in all your mags.

I've never had a problem with my 8rd McCormicks.

It might be an actual issue with the gun, but I wouldn't base that off my opinion as I'm not THAT familiar with every possible malfunction out there.

We have quite a few members more knowledgeable than myself on the matter than I, and I'm sure they'll chime in here and be more help.

*edited to add, I see one of them has shown up

Try some Wilson 8rd mags. I have 2 of those and 2 cheap $10 8round mags that look like Wilsons from Cheaper than dirt and all have been 100% so far in my SA Mil-Spec.

Since you say last round fails to feed how does it fail ?

Slide lock back or half way into the chamber?

Lead Moderator
    If it is certain mags I could see it being a mag issue. If all of them, then probably the gun needs to be broke in.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

+1 Bud White - its hard to know what the problem is without picturing the failure. If its stuck in the mag its likely a weak spring. If its stuck halfway into the chamber its likely a problem with the breechface or extractor tension - much less likely. Its a complicated machine - slide velocity, magazine spring tension, the balance of the cartridge itself (heavy or light bullet), profile of the bullet, etc... all factor in to proper functioning.

You may be just realizing it but by asking about 1911 magazines you have opened up a big can of worms. Get ready because here it comes.

With my 1911 (and every single one is different) I had problems with feeding the first a last round of the magazine. Wilson mags didn't work for me, but Tripp Research mags did. For all I know the Novaks would have worked too - I never tried them. CMCs didn't work for me. I would suggest buying some new magazine springs and seeing if that fixes your problem (assuming the round isn't getting out of the magazine at all - in my gun they did a nose dive) before you go out and buy a variety pack of 1911 mags. It gets expensive pretty quick at $15-30 a pop.

Austin

i have a 9mm little 1911. its an 8+1 but I also have two 9 round "extended" mag, which works fine for the gun, but wasnt 'meant' for it
    they feed fine, but dont lock back.

Bud, it is halfway into the chamber each time it happens. Just for clarification, it happened 2x on the first 100 rounds with the Novak mag, just once on the next 250 rnds with a MCcormick mag. 1x with brass 230 gr, 2x with blazer 230gr. I just want to narrow down the prob, hence the detailed info. Thanks for all the responses. That's the only problem I have had with the gun, other than that it shoots fine.

SY

is there a half moon looking ring on the brass sounds like a 3 point jam

Sorry Bud, I didnt look that closely at the brass when it happened. I dont see any half moons on the brass that I have recovered.

SY

Clean it relube it and try again .. If it jams try smacking the mag into the gun before you do anything else if that dont do it tap the slide ... and we shall go from there

also same te live round to look for the halfmoon

it could be a mag issue but also the extractor ..

Ok, I will be on the lookout the next time I take it out to shoot. Thanks a lot!

SY

Yepper thats what were here for

Sponsored Links