I don't care for the question either. My answer would be a smile and say "next question".
As far as them asking my kids about guns in the home (it has never happened to us). I'd say that 10% of idiot parents created that question for all of us, and that affects the other 90% of responsible gun owner/parents who don't need to be asked about guns in the home. How is the interviewer supposed to know the difference, so they apparently ask everyone?
In a related matter I'll tell you another question you won't like, that they might ask your kids. Let's say that your kid is playing outside and they hurt themselves on their head or back and you take them to the ER. I'll bet a nurse or doctor might ask your child does "mommy or daddy ever hit you"?
I'll reinforce what I said at the beginning, I don't like the question either, but I think it's an attempt at preventing the accidental death of a child that lives in a house where guns are accessible to them. I think we (on this forum) are all pretty safety conscious, and I read horror stories here of ND/AD/lasering at the gun store, range and at home. The medical community directly sees the results of kid involved injuries from non-secured guns in the home, and that's generated that question. Funny thing though, shouldn't they ask about scissors, gasoline, poisons, knives, go-carts, bike helmets etc? I think what hacks us responsible people off, is that it seems to be singling out the "evil gun" only !