Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question... - Page 4

Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question...

This is a discussion on Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haave no problem with counselling regarding the safe storage of firearms. In this particular case, the NP had the parent leave the room in ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I haave no problem with counselling regarding the safe storage of firearms. In this particular case, the NP had the parent leave the room in order to ask the question. Now, she wasn't asking about abuse, just whether or not there were guns in the house. I find this terribly inappropriate, and if I were the parent, I would be in the office of her "collaberating physician" in a heartbeat. As far as why the AMA has taken their approach to firearms, I belive it's political. As a midlevel practitioner myself for the past 19 years, I've seen it in our own professional organization. In fact, my disgust with their actions has caused me to drop out of the organization. I won't pay dues t support such nonsense.

You might have a lawsuit IMO. Just have to get the funds to fight AMA. LOL.

Targeting innocent children... Now who looks like the bad guy?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    The Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Hospital Organizations is one the groups that requires asking these types of questions. There are others too, including Medicaid and insurance reviewers. For the providers its easier to ask everyone rather than just those who are hooked up with one particular organization.

In my agency we have several forms that are filled out and every question has to be answered. Lots of time the information is irrelevant for the reason they are there.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

[QUOTE=walvord;518199]Didn't ask if their parents smoked, didn't ask if we have a pool. Just firearms.

I agree with Walvord. There's a lot of potentially dangerous stuff around a house that isn't questioned in order to zero in on firearms. And to our physician friends on the Forum or in the shooting fraternity: you sell out when you cow-tow. There is no justifiable reason to make such queries, and any excuses for acceding to demands for prying are spineless and lame. If you believe the excuses you give then you're brainwashed.

I'd schedule an appointment with the offending physician and register my displeasure, requesting that the physician explain such questioning and how the results thereof are recorded. If the questions are being ask then they're being documented somewhere. I have more right to question than does the physician.

All physicians do not participate in such foolishness. Just moved to Central Texas and found a new doctor. We talked about firearms on my first visit but it was a debate on which was the best "world rifle cartridge" for hunting anything and everything on the planet.

Why do all these people (schools, doctors,etc) think they have any right to talk to your children without the parent present?
    THEY'RE YOUR CHILDREN....Take back your parental rights. NO ONE has the right to be alone with your child unless you let them.
    Between the doctors sticking their noses into your home life, asking questions that have absolutely no bearing on their current medical care and the schools taking the position that they're not YOUR children while they are in session, giving out birth control pills, etc.
    Why do we as a whole put up with it? I don't have kids (and this is one of the main reasons why)
    We don't we (as a whole) stand up to the bullies on the other side? it seems like we go along just to get along.
    The more we sit idly by and let the media, the left, the AMA, Brady, whoever..say and do whatever they want...the more of their filth we'll have to try to overcome, by then it might be to late. Public opinion is 90% perception...all this "it's for the children" is nothing more than pandering to the uneducated masses. If they don't know any better, then we lose by default.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Update:

I have an appointment with the Dr. next Tuesday to discuss this issue. The receptionist wanted to know what it was for - I told her it was none of her business. She transferred me to the Dr.'s nurse and she wanted to know if it was concerning any of the nurses. Again - I told her none of her business and to get me scheduled with the Dr. Wish it could have been sooner - probably just as well - let the BP come down a bit. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Why do all these people (schools, doctors,etc) think they have any right to talk to your children without the parent present?.
    It is not the people who are asking the questions. They are just doing what is required of them by regulators and/or those who pay the bills and/or risk management/legal system to prevent lawsuits.

These questions are not going to go away. The best thing to do is answer them with a neutral response and be polite. The interviewer has to put something in the box. I usually decline politely and tell them to write down that I declined vs refused.
    Pitmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    The interviewer has to put something in the box.
    There is no question or box to be checked on the Missouri State High School Athletic Association form that is to be turned in to the school. This was for a sports physical.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    It is not the people who are asking the questions. They are just doing what is required of them by regulators and/or those who pay the bills and/or risk management/legal system to prevent lawsuits.
    Sure do hate to trade away a little more freedom by complying so that the income spigot doesn't turn off. That mindset is scarier than the issue of firearms. That's the "primrose path" the "Nanny State" wants us to feel compelled to take.

Senior Moderator
    I'm interested in why they asked that question when your daughter was out of your presence. It should be asked along with medical history in the prescence of the childs guardian.

Let us know what his answers are.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    There is no question or box to be checked on the Missouri State High School Athletic Association form that is to be turned in to the school. This was for a sports physical.
    Then it should not have been asked.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Sure do hate to trade away a little more freedom by complying so that the income spigot doesn't turn off. That mindset is scarier than the issue of firearms. That's the "primrose path" the "Nanny State" wants us to feel compelled to take.
    I agree. But that's the reality. This is a major reason for all of the health care costs. Time spent doing "crap" that is irrelevant to the care being provided.

One of the points I'm trying to make is that it is not the person asking the questions that is the problem. The problem is the bureaucrats above and behind them. Plus when they decide something is needed they just add to instead of integrate.
    Pitmaster

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Walvord My suggestion is to go into the talk with the doc asking Why was this question asked , and furthermore why was it asked in the manner it was . If the answers dont suit you ( anything other than an apology and assurance it wont happen again for me ) politely ask for all medical records so you can change docs in a streamlined fashon . Then interview any other doc you may consider before you allow any exam/treatment .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Walvord My suggestion is to go into the talk with the doc asking Why was this question asked , and furthermore why was it asked in the manner it was . If the answers dont suit you ( anything other than an apology and assurance it wont happen again for me ) politely ask for all medical records so you can change docs in a streamlined fashon . Then interview any other doc you may consider before you allow any exam/treatment .
    Redneck - My plan exactly. Will certainly keep everyone posted. If a new doc is warranted, interviews will be conducted first before we sign on. My wife is an RN and even she is smokin'. She agreed that had she been there instead of me more than likely she would not have been asked to sit in the hallway like I was and with an adult in the room a possibility that the question would not have been asked. All speculation. It's her view that this is a medical guidance policy from the AMA - not a directive. It certainly is not law. It's one of those "Do it if you think something may be up" e.g., bruises, visible neglect of the child, documented history of child abuse, etc. otherwise, don't bother.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

By the time a kid is old enough to be left alone with a doctor or nurse, they should have been taught to give out no such information. Tell them to simply say 'Why do you ask that, my Dad is going to want to know".
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Wow, some people are touchy on this subject! I don't see a problem with them asking, only if they attempted to chastise for owning. Believe it or not, it IS a public health concern and someone has to help weed out the idiot owners.

I'm sure most gun owners on forums like this take ownership seriously, but I'm sure there's just as many that don't. What if some kid was growing up in a druggy house with guns laying around, needles, etc. A simple question by a health care worker, teacher, etc., may help save lives. I view this similar to how doctors/nurses have to screen kids (by law, I think) for symptoms of abuse.

Also look at another public health issue, sex ed. I don't think the family only route was working to well, and they had to start doing it in schools when I was growing up ('60's).

Maybe they should start teaching gun safety in schools, instead of sticking their head in the sand and freak out over 5-yr olds drawing pictures of them!
    So how does a doctor "weed out" the "bad parents"? What is accoplished by asking my child if there is a gun at their home? How does the doctor know the conditions at home? So if the child says "yes there are guns at my house" it's all of a sudden an unsafe home? There needs to be reasons for concern, just like sexual abuse , or bruises or anything else. It's NO DOCTORS business if I have a gun at home for self protection. It just may save the childs life someday. Why dont they ask about window blinds with strings that hang down or swimming pools, kitchen knives, nail guns. Geeez.
    To the original poster, I think I would have turned the car around right then and had a nice conversation with the doctor.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links