Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question... - Page 5

Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question...

This is a discussion on Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting that most of these inquisitive Docs oppose any public rating system for Physicians. Going to an incompetent (sp?) Doc can be more dangerous than ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Interesting that most of these inquisitive Docs oppose any public rating system for Physicians. Going to an incompetent (sp?) Doc can be more dangerous than a loaded weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Why do all these people (schools, doctors,etc) think they have any right to talk to your children without the parent present?
    THEY'RE YOUR CHILDREN....Take back your parental rights. NO ONE has the right to be alone with your child unless you let them.
    Between the doctors sticking their noses into your home life, asking questions that have absolutely no bearing on their current medical care and the schools taking the position that they're not YOUR children while they are in session, giving out birth control pills, etc.
    Why do we as a whole put up with it? I don't have kids (and this is one of the main reasons why)
    We don't we (as a whole) stand up to the bullies on the other side? it seems like we go along just to get along.
    The more we sit idly by and let the media, the left, the AMA, Brady, whoever..say and do whatever they want...the more of their filth we'll have to try to overcome, by then it might be to late. Public opinion is 90% perception...all this "it's for the children" is nothing more than pandering to the uneducated masses. If they don't know any better, then we lose by default.
    In the case of suspected abuse, it is necessary to question the child away from the parents, in order to make sure that the child feels that they can speak freely without the influence of the parent, or fear of punishment. However,, I had the same question in this case, as this is not an abuse issue. The family can be asked if guns are present, in order to offer safety counselling. But pulling the child away from the parent to ask this question may cause the child to think that there is something wrong with owning guns. I would strongly protest the way this was handled.

#1 mistake, you left the children alone with those morons.

If they are daughters and they are going to have an exam, mom goes in with them.

If they are boys, then dad goes in with them.

I know they are supposed to be "trusted" individuals, but I sure as hell don't trust them at all.

This thread is exactly why I don't like going to the doctors. They never seem to figure out that they're there to fix PHYSICAL problems not butt into my home life.

Case in point as to how distrusting I am of doctors (no offense to you few good ones out there), I recently went in for emergency appendectamy. The last time I went to a doctor was probably 10 years ago. When in the hospital awaiting surgery they asked what happened to my leg (they noticed the large scar)...I told them I had an accident hiking solo and rather than dial 911 I would rather stitch it myself. If it ain't life threating ...I ain't goin!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have NEVER left my children alone with any health care practitioner, as was stated previously, my wife goes in with my daughters,and I go in with my son.
    Most questions regarding firearms are not required/appropriate. I am also aware of the AMA's policy regarding gun ownership/rights; which is why I am NOT an AMA member.

Gee Doc, Now you have explained how doctors have to save the "unwashed" masses from themselves...do you also ask if they know how to use bleach? Do you ask if they know how to cut up a apple or carrot? Can't have them cutting their poor stupid selves. Do you ask if they look both ways before crossing the street?? Do you check to make sure they know NOT to take a nap on the railroad tracks?? What other questions do you ask under the guise of "helping the mental defectives".
    I have worked for decades with doctors and I can tell you "the bloom is off the rose". Doctors have a job to do just like my plumber. I can see no reason you need to ask me if I have a weapon in my home. I CERTAINLY don't see any reason to grill my kids about it. Make all the excuses you wish, but if you think there is a problem in my home concerning firearms...you better call in the pros and get ready to justifiy it in a court of law.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The proper way to answer a question like that is with an equally inappropriate question. So if the medical professional in question asks your child about guns in the home, the child should be told to respond "Why, do you intend to stage a home invasion at my house?" or "Are you addicted to drugs?"

Turnabout is fair play. It's for the medical profession's own good, after all.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The proper way to answer a question like that is with an equally inappropriate question. So if the medical professional in question asks your child about guns in the home, the child should be told to respond "Why, do you intend to stage a home invasion at my house?" or "Are you addicted to drugs?"
    I would be more likely to inquire as to the limits of thier malpractice insurance , and liability insurance . Mention malpractice or liability and most health care folks/businesses go into a rapid eyeblinking tailspin .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I remembered that we had a similar thread from before.

Here... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...octor+question

One of the posters had an article regarding liability when a physician engages in Home Safety and Risk Management counseling without training or certification. A form for the physician to fill out and sign was included. It is worth the look.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I remembered that we had a similar thread from before.

Here... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...octor+question

One of the posters had an article regarding liability when a physician engages in Home Safety and Risk Management counseling without training or certification. A form for the physician to fill out and sign was included. It is worth the look.
    Mike - I've got the form printed out - 6 copies to be exact - for all members of our family for him to sign. I'll have them with me Tuesday morning when I meet with the good Dr. He won't know the topic of the meeting until I arrive.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Mike - I've got the form printed out - 6 copies to be exact - for all members of our family for him to sign. I'll have them with me Tuesday morning when I meet with the good Dr. He won't know the topic of the meeting until I arrive.
    Oooh, I can't wait to hear the report on how THAT goes.

Let us know. (Oh boy, oh boy! This should be good.)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Talked to the Doctor Yesterday

Finally got to speak with the Dr. yesterday regarding what had originally happened during my twin daughters' sports physical a few weeks ago. He was pretty adamant that it was his duty to ask about firearms. We got in to the normal tit for tat, anti vs. pro, so won't go into that here. He believes in 911, yada yada. I told him "so did Dr. Bill Petit in Cheshire, CT." - didn't work for him. Needless to say, I did get his attention when I showed him the document that MitchellCT provided on this thread for him to sign. He asked me if I was talking about litigation and I told him "yes", that if I locked up my defensive firearms at his direction and someone breaks into my house and members of my family are killed or injured and I live for another day, he would be hearing from my attorney. Now he's interested. He looks it over and says that he will run it by his legal counsel and get back with me. I don't look for him to sign or to get back with me. I asked him what type of firearms training he had and he indicated that he did not grow up with firearms and had never been around firearms. I also asked him what type of training the nurse practitioner had, and he didn't know. I told him that "I've been around firearms all my life, 4 1/2 years in the Army, NRA safe hunter courses, CC licenses from 6 states good for 37 states, train at the range all the time and you have the audacity to preach to me and my family about firearms safety. Firearm safety in my house is MY BUSINESS ALONE - not yours - I'm the head of my household" I think he got that message. He also indicated that it is his right to have teenage kids in the examination room without the parents present to ask them questions - something about patient / doctor confidentiality. I told him not as long as I'm paying the insurance premiums and they're living under my roof - they will never be left in a room with a NP or DR. again. Overall, it pretty much went down the way I figured it would lasting about 15 minutes. You just can't fix stupid. If there are any pro-freedom 2nd amendment CC pediatricians on this site in the St. Charles County area, please PM me - I'm gonna need a new one soon.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member

Way to go!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Good for you.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

WV,

Thanks for the update. I don't suppose many of us really thought that
    this physician, or most of them who already have their minds made up, would change, or 'get it.'

Anyway, good conversation, and you never know when the seed you planted might actually take root.

Albert Einstein

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links