Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question...

This is a discussion on Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took my twin daughters to the doctors office today to get their physicals to play sports in junior high. The Missouri State High School Athletic ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurse Practitioner Asked Gun Question...

Took my twin daughters to the doctors office today to get their physicals to play sports in junior high. The Missouri State High School Athletic Association requires all students to get a physical before playing sports in Junior High and High School. My daughters were taken into a room and I was told to wait in the hallway. I figured they would be doing woman stuff, so no problem. After the office visit, my daughters told me that the nurse practitioner asked if there were firearms in the house. I about drove off the road. I asked them what they said and they told her yes. What in the heck does asking about firearms have to do with whether they are physically fit to play sports or not? My wife and I had a talk with them this afternoon and told them in no uncertain terms that talking about firearms with physicians or their assistants from now on is a no no and none of their business. Words cannot communicate how p****d off I am.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Do a search this has been a common deal lately and discussed here many times

Senior Moderator
    You have to "liberal proof" your kids these days and teach them how not to respond to stupid questions.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It is a sad state of affairs how our private lives are becoming less and less private.

I would call the office and ask to speak to the ARNP. Tell them of your complete dissatisfaction and advise them you will not return because of their innappropriate behavior with your children. Then, call the clinic director. Advise them of the same.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Can you complain about this? Call the office and ask why this was done? Demand for an explination of how that is a test of their pysical condition?

EDITED: lol soon as I hit the post key I saw the sarge45s must have gone through right before mine.

But still like I said,demand a to know the reasons how a firearm in the house affects their atheletic ability.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    At my last Dr.'s visit I had a good chat with my Dr. about carrying concealed. I'll have to ask her on my next visit if she has been coached to ask about guns.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i have seen it on the paper you fill out for the year update of info at my drs office.. they always love my responses to it

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Sarge45 has some sound advice. I would be all over that place.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    i have seen it on the paper you fill out for the year update of info at my drs office.. they always love my responses to it
    ARE OU KIDDING ME!@?!?!?

on the paperwork?

at least their not doing it being your back

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

1943 - 2009
    Read the AMA's policy statement on firearms.

http://www.ama-assn.org/apps/pf_new/...s/H-5.000.HTM&

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    I would call the office and ask to speak to the ARNP. Tell them of your complete dissatisfaction and advise them you will not return because of their innappropriate behavior with your children. Then, call the clinic director. Advise them of the same.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be making that call on Monday.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

It's likely going to be standard operating procedure to ask these types of questions.

As a physician, you have to deal with a HUGE number of very uneducated individuals (3rd grade or less) who simply cannot comprehend terms like "responsibility," "bathing," and "danger." These individuals truly do live in the dark ages, and simply don't know that guns are dangerous objects. These people are the reasons you have to "idiot-proof" EVERYTHING, with PICTURES, in the hopes that they absorb one tiny bit of information about safety.

We truly do live in a "well it don't say not to" society. People would drink bleach if they thought it could get them high. These questions are simply an attempt to evaluate the child's well-being, in the essence of whether or not there is danger around them, because it actually IS the physician's responsibility to do something about it if they suspect undue danger or abuse. The AMA must publicly denounce all weapons due to the fact that it is an item designed to cause harm. It'd be pretty hypocritical to advocate weapon possession when the sole reason for the existence of physicians is to heal.

This is simply an instance of someone following standard procedure, asking standard questions as part of a (usually-useless) safety exam. More than likely, they've got 5 patients with ACTUAL problems lined up behind you, and the quicker they can get done with the basic physical (for an obviously healthy child) the better.

I'd just write it off. Some fights are just not worth it. If it still bothers you, talk to your kids about pre-programmed responses, and leave it at that.

-

I'm not posting the above to offend anyone, but I think there's a LOT of undue anti-physician sentiment here. I got a real kick out of the "not college educated" comment on the other thread. I got more out of the first 3 weeks of medical school than I did my double-B.S. degree from a top-tier university. In addition, one of my best friends who does not have a B.S. entered medical school with a 4.0 in the prereq classes, in addition to scoring a perfect SAT and ACT. She was also scored in the top 0.5 % of people to ever take the MCAT. Calling her "uneducated" is pretty laughable.

Now I've spoken my peace. I almost expect bashing for posting how I actually feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Read the AMA's policy statement on firearms.

http://www.ama-assn.org/apps/pf_new/...s/H-5.000.HTM&
    Thanks for the link Captain. Looks like I've been done in by
    H-145.990 Prevention of Firearm Accidents in Children. When I call them on Monday, I'm going to ask them when our firearm education classes can start since they're so damn nosey. They probably don't even know of any classes. Idiots. I'm sick and tired of "do gooders".
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

Quote Originally Posted by senseiturtle View Post
    As a physician, you have to deal with a HUGE number of very uneducated individuals (3rd grade or less) who simply cannot comprehend terms like "responsibility," "bathing," and "danger." These individuals truly do live in the dark ages, and simply don't know that guns are dangerous objects. These people are the reasons you have to "idiot-proof" EVERYTHING, with PICTURES, in the hopes that they absorb one tiny bit of information about safety.
    Maybe I'm taking this wrong, but you sound like a typical elitist - all us little people. My wife and I are both college graduates. We drive nice cars, live in a nice house, have nice clothes. Just by looking at us you can tell that we do not fit the description above. I guess this is why the government is trying to "idiot proof" all of American society, huh. All us 3rd graders.... Geezzz....

It'd be pretty hypocritical to advocate weapon possession when the sole reason for the existence of physicians is to heal.
    Why do you have to advocate or not advocate weapon possession? It's just none of the physicians business. Do you advocate possession of a car or an airplane?

This is simply an instance of someone following standard procedure, asking standard questions as part of a (usually-useless) safety exam. More than likely, they've got 5 patients with ACTUAL problems lined up behind you, and the quicker they can get done with the basic physical (for an obviously healthy child) the better.
    This was for a mandatory sports physical. Leave my kids' safety to the parents. And no, the office was pretty much empty Sat. morning so no ACTUAL problems were waiting behind us.
    - Winston Churchill
    Life Member - GOA

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links