what am i doing wrong?

This is a discussion on what am i doing wrong? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ok, heres a simple one. i shoot low and to the left. im not flinching i dont think its my sights what am i doing?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what am i doing wrong?

what am i doing wrong?

ok, heres a simple one.
    i shoot low and to the left.
    im not flinching
    i dont think its my sights
    what am i doing?

2. Remove Ads

I do the same thing. Always low and to the left.

Assuming that you do the same thing with all guns, it's technique. Basically, whatever's moving the barrel off-line is the problem. A number of "target analysis wheels" exist out on the internet which divide the target up into zones and ascribe certain problems/movements to each zone as the likely culprit(s). Here's one, from the TargetShooting Canada web site: Pistol Group Analysis. It's laid out for a right-hander. Flip the zones right-to-left, if you're a lefty.

Low and left:
    RH: Low and left can indicate fingers tightening as you shoot.
    LH: Low and right can indicate the same thing as a right-hander's low/left issues.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

sounds to me like you are jerking the whole gun instead of pulling the trigger. Try just concentrating on pulling just the trigger while keeping your hand steady.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Tell us about your grip and weak-hand placement. Maybe a pic.

Id be willing to bet that is the problem.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Just curious, but if you consistently shoot low and left why not aim high and right?

There are no extra points for style or 'doing it right.' The result is the only thing that counts.

How far low and left are you shooting?
    Is this when you draw and fire or are you taking time to establish a grip before firing?
    A picture of your grip on the pistol would help. If the web of your thumb is high on the backstrap but your middle finger isn't tight up under the trigger guard then you will have some extra down and left tension.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Switch hands and/or have someone else shoot the gun. If it still shoots low and to the left, its the sights. If not, its you, and see the chart referenced above.

Administrator
    Death grip, poor trigger control, and yes, you are flinching. You may not think so, but I am willing to bet you are.

PM me if you want some ideas how to correct it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i will try and get a pic of my grip and targets next time i go to the range (tues).
    as far as flinching goes, i used to do it quite a bit, but now just about every time i shoot i put (or have someone else put) an empty casing is my mag somewhere, that or i use my mag that doesnt lock back and dont count how many i put in or have someone else put an unknown number in, etc.
    i check for flinching a LOT, and havnt been doing it lately at all.
    maybe tues ill have someone do some ball and dummy drills with me as well to double check.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Maybe not ENOUGH finger on the trigger, coupled with "squeezing" the trigger instead of "pressing" it straight backwards?

Hard to say without seeing for myself, but generally low and to the left means you are pushing. Anticipating the recoil and over reacting.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

for some reason, the more i relax and calmly pull the trigger straight back, the farther off my shots are.
    i will often try differant things as far as what i am concentrating on, how i pull the trigger, etc. my shots tend to be better once i get some addrenaline pumping and i yank the trigger back.
    i know for target shooting this isnt what you want to do, but honestly this is how i have always gotten the best results. it may also have to do with just how tight my grip is when im like this
    as far as how hard i grip the gun, for me, its always been the tighter the grip, the tighter the groups, the faster i can get off the next shot.
    on tuesday ill try a good dealth grip yet try hard to keep my trigger pull light and see what the results are.

i think maybe my sights are a smidge off. b/c my friend shoots it slightly high and to the left. i shoot low and left.
    ill show u my targets tues night tho

ok. sorry i never got up any pics of my grip or target. i actually have them but hanvt downsized them and dont have the time at the moment.
    Tuesday i did extremely well. i cant tell ya exactly what i did differently, but i can replicated it. either way my grouping got way better. just about the correct hight and only slightly left. so as long as i can do it again next time then hurrah

Squeezing your fingers on the front strap. Try shooting with just your trigger finger and middle finger. If the problem is less than originally you have a good idea what not to do from now on. The gun won't fly away, trust me.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links