Who's heard someone say, "Glocks don't break."?

This is a discussion on Who's heard someone say, "Glocks don't break."? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well they do. They break. But, it takes alot. Yesterday when I was working at the range we got some parts and orders delivered. One ...

Thread: Who's heard someone say, "Glocks don't break."?

Well they do. They break. But, it takes alot.

Yesterday when I was working at the range we got some parts and orders delivered. One of the things that came in was a new spring for the Glock 21 that we have in the rental case.

One of the guys who works their full time took the gun to the back and I asked if I could help since it was slow at that time. He said sure so off we went. The spring was the trigger spring. The one on the 21 we have needed to be replaced.

When he took the trigger assembly out the trigger pin came out in two pieces. It was broken cleanly in two right in the middle. So we had to order a new one and take the 21 out of service until it is in.

But, the point is, the gun had been working normally with a broken trigger pin for who knows how long.

We also have a Glock 23 that is getting sent back to Glock for repair because there is a crack in the slide. The crack is located between the barrel and guide rod holes in the end of the slide. It just cracked right between them. The gun still fires fine but they took it out of service just for liability reasons. It will go back to Glock Monday.

So, Glocks do break but in some cases, they still work broken. Makes me love mine all the more.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The only Glock I've personally seen break was a 9mm that had the extractor break off. That failure completely disables any autoloader.

Its made by man. It breaks.

My dad is a firearms instructor for the local s.o. He sees quite a few broken parts. It happens. Some even right out of the box. Just like anything else. If I talk with him today, I'll see if he can gimme a rundown on the more commonly seen breakages.

Dan

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Every gun breaks, some just do it less often and are designed well enough that essential parts rarely break. Glocks fall into that category as well as several other reliable brands.

I've heard it and it makes me wanna puke. No such thing as a machine that can't break. I took a class earlier this year and some poor guys' glock jammed after each and every round. Fine gun, but not malfunction-proof.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I've heard it and it makes me wanna puke. No such thing as a machine that can't break. I took a class earlier this year and some poor guys' glock jammed after each and every round. Fine gun, but not malfunction-proof.
    I'll second that LBrombach! I have been flamed on Glocktalk for this story but I think I can tell you guys.

I bought a G17 in 1990 or 1991...right around then. This was woth out doubt the worst gun I have ever owned. Still to this day. It jammed, it had magazine issues, like they would just drop out while I was shooting, the front sight flew off and hit me in the head after the first magazine. It had lots of issues and it went back to Glock but came back still with problems.

I eventually sold it to my cousin who fancied himself a gunsmith of sorts and he tried and tried to make it work right. Never could. He doesn't have it anymore, he sold it to a professional gunsmith back in 2000 or so.

That gun put me off Glocks for a long time but I eventually got the Glock bug again and bought the G23 that sits on my hip right now. This gun is a great gun. I love it. I carry it every day and it has many thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all.

Glock can make a bad gun. I know. And they do break. As others have said, anything made by man breaks. Just give it some time and it will break.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I've broken a few in my time, but it was due to my abuse... and they still take a whole lot more abuse than almost any other make.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    One of the reasons why there are these folks called Certified Glock Armorers is because Glocks do sometimes break.
    And when they do the armorers fix them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'll second that LBrombach! I have been flamed on Glocktalk for this story but I think I can tell you guys.

..... the front sight flew off and hit me in the head after the first magazine. It had lots of issues and it went back to Glock but came back still with problems.

Sorry Mike. It's just that I cracked up when I read that. Hope you're OK.

I've never had or shot a Glock but I remember reading a thread once that centered on this broken spring problem.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Have a friend who has had two Glock frames frames break in his hands. Now swears all Glocks are bad. While I don't agree they just aren't my cup of tea ergonomically. Anything man can build can break, especially when handled by young folks in the military under field conditions!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    The only Glock I've personally seen break was a 9mm that had the extractor break off. That failure completely disables any autoloader.
    Not a P7....

I have a friend that his Glock 23 ka-boomed on him w/ factory ammo (bbl and slide), sent it back to Glock and they fixed it for free, he says now it shoots much better than before.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've broken a few in my time, but it was due to my abuse... and they still take a whole lot more abuse than almost any other make.
    Will hitting a skull harm the finish?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links