Air rifles

This is a discussion on Air rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Generally I use a regular .22 rifle for small game hunting. I want to buy an air rifle to pop some gremlins (squirrels) in my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air rifles

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Air rifles

Generally I use a regular .22 rifle for small game hunting. I want to buy an air rifle to pop some gremlins (squirrels) in my back yard as not to alarm the neighbors. I live on an acre of land, but have close neighbors, so the .22 rifle is out of the question... anyway enough of that.

My question is this.... I was at the store today and I was in a delima. What would one need in the way of FPS and caliber to shoot a squirrel or rabbit and kill it in one shot.

I was looking at a .177 at 1000-1200fps. I know that would kill the squirrel no prob, but how about a rabbit or even a possum? Would I need to move it up to a .22 with a higher FPS? What do you think would be the needed FPS and caliber to kill at least the squirrels and rabbits... and then a possum?

2. Remove Ads

1000 fps is more than enough for all that. Just use the pellets made (shaped) for hunting. Also a scope helps. I'd say about 20-25 yards would be the max range for both squirrel and possum. It doesn't take much to cleanly take a possum, they have very thin skin like a rabbit. I've taken many many armadillos, rabbits, squirrels, and snakes with my wally world Daisy. Good thing is you can sight in air rifles in the house, a couple phone books and you're good to go.

Even those pump up deals work very well with hunting pellets, the ones that can get around the 750-800 fps but you have a limit your effective range a bit. Those 1000fps air rifles are kind of loud too.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    Those 1000fps air rifles are kind of loud too.
    How loud is loud?

Assistant Administrator
    I bought a few years ago a ''Eurolux" in .177 - made tho I think in China!

Advertized at 1,000 fps and when I chrono'd it was 950fps but - that was using some ''heavy weight'' pellets. It feels good to use but is slow to load - fiddly even. I use a cheapo red dot on it which so far has proved very adequate.

I forget the brand without checking but my thinking is, based on years of experiment . that the slightly heavier .177 will do as well or better than any .22 I have tried.

The velocity and slight range advantage I notice is also aided by a slightly flatter trajectory. get a good solid hit and it will get the job done. It's true tho, these higher velocity spring rifles are rather loud .. hard to get over that but at least a lot quieter than the .22LR.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    How loud is loud?
    It's got a "crack" sound to it. It's enough to arouse the suspicion of neighbors, unless they're in they're house with the tv on. The sound doesn't carry far like a .22 shot but it's identifiable as out of the ordinary. That said, if there's trees or bushes around your property it will muffle the sound very well. But if it's just house to house and bare yards, I would pick a small crossbow for yard hunting. The pump up air rifles are more quiet, if you get one of those, make sure to store it with one pump of air in it or the seals will dry out and it'll leak air.

I ended up getting a Crossman Quest .177. I took it into the garage and opened up the back door and shot out to the treeline a few times (nothing behind my house, just to the sides). It shoots a single shot at 1000fps and was able to shoot thru a large pumpkin, apple, break a beer bottle, go thru a tin can, and penetrate a phonebook. So needless to say I am very impressed with it, and have no concern now with it taking a squirrel and ending my possum problem

Now I just have to wait for one... man I'm craving some squirrel pot pie Its funny they're all over the place, but when you want one... nothing to be seen

To be honest... it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be... and my neighbors are far enough away that I doubt they will hear anything from that. Yes it does have a "crack" to it, but nothing too bad. We live on one acre plots... so on and so forth. So we're close, just not that close.

How loud is loud?
    When you send a pellet faster then the speed of sound (1128 fps) you get a sonic boom (small one)

I have had a Gamo 440 for over 10 years and many critters in my back yard have given their life to it's .177 pill.

Gamo is all you need to know!
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

Administrator
    Dont fall into the "its just an pellet gun" thing. These things are powerful!

I have a few for hunting and fun stuff. They are a lot of fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dont fall into the "its just an pellet gun" thing. These things are powerful!

I have a few for hunting and fun stuff. They are a lot of fun.
    I was used to a wimpy ol' 400fps pellet handgun that could barley knock over a can, let alone kill small game. So I guess I did fall into the "its just an pellet gun" thing Thats probably why I never thought it would be powerful enough. The air rifle I got today really packs a punch and I'm very pleased with it. I can't wait to go out and get a few squirrels now

I was used to a wimpy ol' 400fps pellet handgun that could barley knock over a can, let alone kill small game. So I guess I did fall into the "its just an pellet gun" thing Thats probably why I never thought it would be powerful enough. The air rifle I got today really packs a punch and I'm very pleased with it. I can't wait to go out and get a few squirrels now
    Not to steal a thread, but about 10 years ago I used to think I was a " crack shot " until I picked up one of those whimpy 400 fps pellet guns and tried shooting an Air Pistol Silhouette match, what a humbling experience that was. Talk about learning trigger control and breathing control. Try it guys you might like it.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Lead Moderator
    Even a cheap 400 fps pellet pistol will work on squirrels. I took many when I was a kid with a crosman Colt Python look alike.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Even a cheap 400 fps pellet pistol will work on squirrels. I took many when I was a kid with a crosman Colt Python look alike.
    I had one of those too. I wonder if they still make them?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    That would be it! Except mine had "wood" grips.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I use 22 CBs for pests or a Sheridan Blue Streak. The 22 CBs are quieter.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links