How Fast Are You?

How Fast Are You?

This is a discussion on How Fast Are You? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well here we are out on the road and the other night something happened that I am have dreaded but tried to be prepared for. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Are You?

Question How Fast Are You?

Well here we are out on the road and the other night something happened that I am have dreaded but tried to be prepared for.

After shutting down for the night with the HK at my side with the M6X attached I was sound asleep, drooling on the pillow sound that is, when I heard the car alarm go off!

I threw off the sheets had the HK at the ready position and was at the window with the curtain open just enough to see the PU truck, I always park so I can have full view of the vehicle. It was then that I realized that it was someone else's alarm and not mine... Whew! @@#$% drunks and car alarm systems.

My daughter who was in other bed with her mom made a comment as I laid down, "Wow that was fast" so I went 'Huh?" and she commented that before she had really had a chance to realize what the noise was I had been at the window with the .45. So I asked "just how long... " her reply was 3-4 seconds tops!"
    Now when on a trip I sleep in condition yellow, and travel in orange, Not too bad for a 56 year old with a bad back.

So any of you timed just how fast you can wake up and go into full defense mode?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've never had to find out, thankfully, but it's a worry of mine. I'm at an extra disadvantage because I have to grab my glasses to see anything.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Never timed it but Lacey my 115 lb Pit Bull generally wakes up first and I let her go investigate while I get my pants on. LOL
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Three to four seconds - that's excellent response!

That has been a very big concern of mine.

When I sleep it takes a lot of noise to wake me up - and I do mean a lot! I am about as close as you can get to being dead without rigor mortis setting in.

Also, I wake up very slowly. It takes a few minutes before I can even think straight, and an hour or more before I am truly wide awake.

This is my main concern and problem in my overall safety strategy. I haven't figured out a solution yet. I doubt that there really is a good practical solution.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

By myself? Way too long. I sleep like the dead. My wife got a German Shepherd some time ago and he sleeps at the foot of the bed. I sleep much, much better because he will wake me very quickly if anything odd is happening. From there, I'm up and thinking by the time I get halfway to the bedroom door.
    Thankfully our "emergencies" have been critters climbing up trees outside and peering in the windows. The big dog jumps up and barks, I jump up and decide not to blast a hole through a window.
    I am a big fan of our shepherd.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Three to four seconds - that's excellent response!

That has been a very big concern of mine.

When I sleep it takes a lot of noise to wake me up - and I do mean a lot! I am about as close as you can get to being dead without rigor mortis setting in.

Also, I wake up very slowly. It takes a few minutes before I can even think straight, and an hour or more before I am truly wide awake.

This is my main concern and problem in my overall safety strategy. I haven't figured out a solution yet. I doubt that there really is a good practical solution.
    My suspicion is that you will wake up a lot faster than you think if you are disturbed by something different. We all get used to various noises and sounds in our house. A strange sound will send a little adrenalin alert to speed your wakeup.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I can sleep lightly if I want to. I wake up pretty quickly if I do. Its not as restful though, and my wife wakes up at the drop of a hat - not to mention 10 times a night anyhow (8 months pregnant) - and I wake up fast if she says anything to me. So I just don't worry too much when I'm sleeping usually. I can wake up and be on my feet in I'd guess a couple of seconds, gun in hand, if need be.

Austin

I've had to go from perfect sleep to ready action probably over a hundred times in the last few years. Only twice being at home and going action-safe with the firearms at night.

I'm fast enough...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    I normally sleep very deep and mornings are a nightmare while i try and shake off sleep. So I am not sure what I could manage really.

However I have been aware that sounds outside of what I might expect at night can push me into a sorta ''emergency'' mode and then I have a short term artificial alertness. Never put it to the test for real tho so not sure how it would pan out when needed.

As for three to four seconds ... doubt I'd manage that at 62!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My wife is the light sleeper, she'll wake me.

When I'm staying at a motel, I have a locking device that hooks into the door strike and locks the door against everything. To get in, someone would have to hit it hard enough to tear the strike out of the door jamb. I got it after someone using a passkey opened the door one night and almost got shot for his trouble.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

VIP Member
    I'm afraid I'm not that fast... although being naked I should have less wind drag!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I sleep with one eye open!

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    My wife is the light sleeper, she'll wake me.

When I'm staying at a motel, I have a locking device that hooks into the door strike and locks the door against everything. To get in, someone would have to hit it hard enough to tear the strike out of the door jamb. I got it after someone using a passkey opened the door one night and almost got shot for his trouble.
    Where can I get one?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Administrator
    I'm faster than greased lightning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Where can I get one?
    It's called a Yale Travelok. I got it years ago. It can also be used to lock a dresser drawer shut if necessary. Maybe a good locksmith can get you one. Here's a pic so you know what it looks like:

NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links