More disinformation from CNN Front-Page

More disinformation from CNN Front-Page

This is a discussion on More disinformation from CNN Front-Page within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm continually amazed by the level of ignorance and lack of research that go into "news" of this type. And this is worthy of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More disinformation from CNN Front-Page

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Angry More disinformation from CNN Front-Page

I'm continually amazed by the level of ignorance and lack of research that go into "news" of this type. And this is worthy of the front-page headline?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/05/cops.guns/index.html

Cops find themselves in arms race with criminals

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (CNN) -- The war on the streets is escalating. As gangs and other criminals pack more firepower, police departments say they find themselves in an arms race.

Sgt. Laurie Pfeil practices shooting a semiautomatic weapon in Palm Beach County, Florida.

1 of 3 The officers say they need to level the playing field to survive. And so, on a bright October day about a dozen Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies brought out their big guns at the local firing range.

Rifles crackled. Shell casings flew. Bullets sailed at 3,200 feet per second through paper targets set up a football field's length away.

The sharpshooters weren't training for a SWAT team. These were the deputies who patrol the streets and roads from the glittery Gold Coast to the swamps of the Everglades. Watch cops practice firing the big guns

The fatal shooting in September of a Miami-Dade police officer by a man using an assault weapon put all South Florida police departments on edge. Several other officers were wounded by the gunfire.

"It's not nice we have to arm ourselves like the soldiers in Iraq," said Sgt. Laurie Pfeil, who supervises a sheriff's road patrol in Palm Beach County and is now certified to carry a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle on the job. It's the civilian version of the military's M-16 used by U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

"We are like soldiers. It is a war, " says Sgt Pfeil.

Across the country, at least 62 police officers have been gunned down this year -- a record pace, said Robert Tessaro, the associate director for law enforcement relations for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

As a result, the Brady organization supports police officers arming themselves with high-powered weapons "to protect themselves and their communities," he said.

"We're having more than one officer shot and killed a week. It's just outrageous that officers are being targeted," he said. "It's something I think all Americans should be outraged about."

He lays the blame squarely on lawmakers who allowed the assault weapons ban to expire in 2004. which curiously didn't stop sales of AR-15's and AK-47's, so long as they had no more than 2 "evil" features.

Designed to be fired from the hip, assault rifles such as the AK-47 can spray at a rate of up to 600 rounds a minute in full automatic mode. It is the weapon of choice for guerillas and gangsters. And the 94 AWB had absolutely no affect on fully automatic NFA weapons, which almost literally are never used in crime, and are not what police officers are worried about. Not to mention the urban legend of "spraying fire from the hip".

Cops prefer to squeeze off single shots in semiautomatic mode because it makes for more accurate shooting. Some semiautomatic weapon's can fire with pinpoint accuracy from as far as 100 yards away. The magazines used by law enforcement typically carry 20 or 30 rounds, adding to the ability to better respond under fire. I should hope any semi-auto rifle in capable hands can make shots from further away than that.

There's no doubt that urban street warfare, aided by a proliferation of cheap automatic weapons, I can pretty much guarantee that there are no cheap automatic weapons available outside the black market, which the law has no control over by definition has come even to Palm Beach County, once high society's vacation mecca and a retirement destination for northern snowbirds.

Assault weapons have been used to kill eight people and wound 25 here over the last two years. Authorities estimate there are about 160 gangs who boast around 7000 members.

"They don't have .38s anymore. They have AK-47s. ...They have automatic weapons now," said Sgt. Pfeil.

So the Palm Beach Sheriff's office, like many others across the county, is training and arming everyone on the force with semiautomatic assault weapons. Many officers say it's about time.

"It's different now. It's shootings on a weekly basis. Ten years ago, that just didn't happen," said Pfeil. "They don't get out and run from us anymore. They stop, and they're shooting at us."

Miami's police department also is in the process of arming every officer with an assault rifle.

"It's a little bit embarrassing that we're engaged in this, but what is the alternative?" said Miami police Chief John Timoney. He said gangs, in particular, are getting their hands on high-powered weapons with apparent ease.

"The streets of South Florida are being flooded by AK-47s and assault weapons from old Soviet bloc countries. It's driven the price down, making the availability greater," said Chief Timoney.

The Miami police department evidence room has seized AK-47s, AR-15s and an assortment of other automatic and semiautomatic weapons piled on shelves from floor to ceiling.

Chief Timoney says he started noticing an increase since the federal assault weapon ban lapsed in 2004. Since then, he says homicides in the city of Miami involving assault weapons have been up -- 18 percent last year and 20 percent this year.

The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons, up from the year before. So far this year, 12 of 60 killings have involved the high-powered arms.

Tessaro said he recently attended a conference for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. Among the crime scene tape, squad cars, and other law enforcement gear offered for sale was the latest in high-powered assault weapons.

But it takes time and money to arm everyone. In the case of Palm Beach Sheriff's office, about one-third of its deputies carry assault weapons. It could take a year to get everyone equipped.

Some officers aren't waiting.

Palm Beach Sheriff's deputy Carl Martin bought his own AR-15 and passed the required training.

When his department offered him one of their weapons, he gave it up to someone else who was on the waiting list. "Because there's not enough to go around," he explained
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

civil war is coming

More bull droppings from the Communist Ninnies Network. Next week it will be thugs armed with phazers and operating out of a death star.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    They only speak what they know. So many of the reporters only listen to the one side of the story (Brady) and they just spew out what they take in. Sad on their ignorance. Infuriating they don't actually try to get the facts right.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    More bull droppings from the Communist Ninnies Network. Next week it will be thugs armed with phazers and operating out of a death star.
    but how will our intergalactic space armada protect us?!
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

'Cops find themselves in arms race with criminals'

Not practiced at posting links (so you gotta look it up) but how many of us x military out there with plenty of firearms experience and training have read this story on CNN.com. How many misleading statements and innacuracies can there possibly be in a news story. It's almost laughable, except to those who have never trained or sacrificed (or studied history). And how come so many LEO's have to be newly trained in assault weapons. Do they not get our officers from the military anymore? I bet some "Gangsta's" have more real military training" I hate to say. Hell, even stupid me has twice as much training as these quoted cops, and I was a damn Corpsman!! (Nav medic with USMC 4 those not aware) Or is is just left wingers and politicians manipulating the "stupid's" for future law's to be enacted and ever squeezed on the people, and increasing our reliance on the government, rather than ourselves, to control our very existance. HMMMMMMMMMMMM OK, rant over. Feel better I love THAT banana..it just cracks me up
    Last edited by snub41; November 7th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.

justice system (judges, lawyers, bad guys, and bad gals) has been far too easy for the last 50 years at least.

need all jails like Arizona Sheriff Joe A.

more use of the death penalty (hanging) and on the courthouse square in public view.

Old West Laws need to apply.

now we have a very large pool of hard bad guys and gals walking the streets.

Already running, here...

[url]http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35179
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Merged threads.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Dual use sprayer

Designed to be fired from the hip, assault rifles such as the AK-47 can spray at a rate of up to 600 rounds a minute in full automatic mode.
    My AK-47 is such a good sprayer that I often use it in my garden to spray pesticide on my roses. Then I just clean it and use it later to spray more bullets on the street.

Hit a target at a hundred yards?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

this the warning shot across our deck, buy up mags, ammo, flash hiders, bayonetts and other "evil" items for soon they will no longer be able for purchase...

too bad those criminals using illegal guns can blowback on law abiding citizens, which is why I support Ron Paul! He has voted and said: "I share our Founders’ belief that in a free society each citizen must have the right to keep and bear arms. They ratified the Second Amendment knowing that this right is the guardian of every other right, and they all would be horrified by the proliferation of unconstitutional legislation that prevents law-abiding Americans from exercising this right.

I have always supported the Second Amendment and these are some of the bills I have introduced in the current Congress to help restore respect for it:

H.R. 1096 includes provisions repealing the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act and the Federal Firearms License Reform Act of 1993, two invasive and unconstitutional bills.
    H.R. 1897 would end the ban on carrying a firearm in the National Park System, restoring Americans’ ability to protect themselves in potentially hazardous situations.
    H.R. 3305 would allow pilots and specially assigned law enforcement personnel to carry firearms in order to protect airline passengers, possibly preventing future 9/11-style attacks.
    H.R. 1146 would end our membership in the United Nations, protecting us from their attempts to tax our guns or disarm us entirely.

In the past, I introduced legislation to repeal the so-called “assault weapons” ban before its 2004 sunset, and I will oppose any attempts to reinstate it."
    Last edited by Duisburg; November 7th, 2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: warum nicht?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

"Designed to be fired from the hip, assault rifles such as the AK-47 can spray at a rate of up to 600 rounds a minute in full automatic mode. It is the weapon of choice for guerillas and gangsters."

..... and also law abiding citizens. The AK-47 is one of my favorite firearms and I'm not a guerilla or gangster.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    "Designed to be fired from the hip, assault rifles such as the AK-47 can spray at a rate of up to 600 rounds a minute in full automatic mode. It is the weapon of choice for guerillas and gangsters."

..... and also law abiding citizens. The AK-47 is one of my favorite firearms and I'm not a guerilla or gangster.
    Just be sure you are firing them from the hip, because that's what they were designed for according to the article.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

hmmm, and I thought the stock of an ak-47 was supposed to be placed against my shoulder. Good thing CNN told me it goes beside my hip.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links