Should the CPSC regulate guns

This is a discussion on Should the CPSC regulate guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seen in another thread that went off the tracks. SHould the Consumer Product Safety Commission regulate guns. In another thread someone said that guns without ...

View Poll Results: Should the CPSC regulate guns?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who's the CPSC?

6 7.23%
  • Yes, guns should be like all other products and be regulated.

0 0%
  • No, this would be a way to ban guns.

51 61.45%
  • The CPSC can't keep lead painted toys out of the US, regulate guns?

37 44.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the CPSC regulate guns

VIP Member

Should the CPSC regulate guns

Seen in another thread that went off the tracks.

SHould the Consumer Product Safety Commission regulate guns. In another thread someone said that guns without external safeties were unsafe and that government should regulate them.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

Seeing as I believe in free trade and market forces vs. Soviet regulation I think the 'Consumer Product Safety Commission' should be abolished as an unconstitutional waste of taxpayer money. Consumers are responsible for examining the quality of the product before buying it, they only have themselves to blame. The protectionist nanny bureaucracy has no use other than increasing the price of products and restricting the availability of goods.

If you generally believe government hand-holding is a good thing then I'd say no, guns are completely different, owning a firearm is a basic right and allowing the federal government to regulate them even more than they do is to allow more encroachments on the RKBA.

In any case, regulating the dangerous cop-killer assault porcelain pistols would be the domain of the BATFE, so this question really should be 'should the BATFE regulate the trade and manufacture of weapons more than they already do'.

Last option. If they can't protect us from simple issues, why in the heck would we give them another job when they can't currently do the one they have?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Joffe and Sammy, you've about covered it.

AMH
    I think that product regulation should be privatized. The Underwriters Laboratories evaluates more than 19,000 types of products and they are a totally private organization. They are considered by many to be more efficient than any government institution and are highly respected. They evaluate nearly all electronic products in the U.S. and the U.S. is considered to have some of the safest electronic products in the world.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    I think that product regulation should be privatized. The Underwriters Laboratories evaluates more than 19,000 types of products and they are a totally private organization. They are considered by many to be more efficient than any government institution and are highly respected. They evaluate nearly all electronic products in the U.S. and the U.S. is considered to have some of the safest electronic products in the world.
    +1. I think there does need to be some sort of independant consumer product evaluation organization, but there's no reason it should be government controled or even funded. Let the market set these things up, and let buyers take or ignore their advice as they choose. Personally, I know I'm not qualified to do a serious evaluation of certain things I buy (food and drugs come to mind) without advice or endorsement, but there's no reason the advice can't be privately available.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

More regulation by bureaucrats?

What we really need is to regulate the number of bureaucrats and their span of authority.

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    Exactly. What you need to keep in mind is that this is privatization, not 'outsourcing'. If you outsource government functions you won't improve much. The difference is that the Underwriters Laboratories can either praise, approve or condemn - but they cannot regulate or ban. The end decision belongs to the consumer. That is very important, no use of arbitrary government force is creating market distortion.

They are the item to regulate out of business.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I answered no. Partly because I believe it would lead to a ban, but also because I believe the CPSC should not exist, at least not in it's current form(controlled by the government). This falls right in line with the new bill they're trying to push through to give the FDA *MANDATORY* product recall power.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Huh, can you say Second Amendment?

And in Missouri we have Article 23 of the Missouri Constitution.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    What we really need is to regulate the number of bureaucrats and their span of authority.
    Actually that is what the Constitution is suppose to do. Unfortunately to many bureaucrats and Judges seem to ignore the Constitution, U.S. and state versions.

"We don't need no stinkin' CPSC regulations..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    I'm with Pogo ........ and add to the ''span'' - also ''and power". 'Authority' varies and in some cases power seems absolute.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Absolutely not. The government should be reduced not expanded.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links