Glocks and XDs, external safety?

This is a discussion on Glocks and XDs, external safety? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As seen in another thread. Should Glocks and XDs (any striker fired pistol currently without a safety) have an external safety?...

View Poll Results: Should striker fired pistols without safeties have them?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is an unsafe design.

11 10.19%
  • No, I like them as they are and I'm safe following the 4 rules.

85 78.70%
  • What about revolvers?

11 10.19%
  • Never had a striker fired pistol, likely never will, so I don't care.

8 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glocks and XDs, external safety?

VIP Member

Glocks and XDs, external safety?

As seen in another thread.

Should Glocks and XDs (any striker fired pistol currently without a safety) have an external safety?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

both have safeties, just not manually actuated safeties. I voted no.

I will likely add an XD to my collection in the future. A passive (non trigger) safety is one reason why I would choose one over a Glock or other similar gun. That being said, my new Kahr is making me reconsider my position on the passive safety system.

After comparing the triggers on Kahrs and XDs though, I see why springfields have the grip safety. The XD has got a shorter, crisper, and lighter trigger pull than the Kahr, meaning I think it benefits more from the grip safety.

I don't think either XDs or Glocks need a manual safety, nor would I want either with one.
    Last edited by ellerblr; November 8th, 2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: clarification

NO

Glock’s are the safest firearms available. But, I am sure I’ll get some arguments regarding that.

I believe all mechanically sound firearms to be as safe as possible. The user determines how safe it is in relation to other people.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Don't see the need...Rather, I see it as a step I could forget in a pickle.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    No. These designs are perfectly safe, and we can never put enough mechanical devices on something to overcome carelessness, negligence, or stupidity.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I prefer an external manual safety, particularly on short or light-pull guns. Not that I think the "point and click" guns are unsafe, far from it. As has already been said, it's the user that makes it safe or not. So, I didn't answer the poll.

The way I look at it, it's a small habit for me to build to swipe my thumb down the side of the frame as I draw, and it gives me an extra layer of insurance against a clothing snag while holstering, the very unlikely event of a foreign object in my holster, a careless-finger moment (which I also train hard against), or anything else that I can't think of until it results in an ND.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    I think the external manual safety breeds reliance on a mechanical device instead of proper pistol craft.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just on a roll, Scott? If one is desperate for a manual safety, there are many other pistols out there. I view that in the same light as the DAO 1911. If one "needs" that many safety features, one might want to reconsider having a device as dangerous as a firearm. IMHO, my $.02, etc., etc..

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think the external manual safety breeds reliance on a mechanical device instead of proper pistol craft.
    So then, do we really need a thumb safety on a 1911?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Just on a roll, Scott?
    Nope. Just closed a thread this AM with several hijacks in it. So I figured I would start threads based on the hijacks I saw so folks could continue them, but under a title that was related to the topic.

Also why I tried to post them without my personal bias other than maybe in the four poll options.

Personally I'm fine with Glocks and XDs. I own both. I also own 1911s with external safeties, but I do seem to favor guns without external safeties. (Sigs and Revolvers)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    So then, do we really need a thumb safety on a 1911?
    Nope and no grip safety either. But that is my opinion.

ckd
    A mechanical safety may have its place for some, but from what I've seen, heard and read over the years, it only adds to the possibility of error and/or delay in a self defense situation. Funny the three ADs I've seen were "I thought the safety was on". The four basic rules keep you and others safe, not mechanical devices.

As a compromise, I find the idea of a heavy trigger pull less objectionable, e.g. the "NY trigger" for Glocks, but still not for me.

I see two major errors. (1) discharging a round when you do not intend to and (2) not being able to discharge a round when you intend to.

To not have a (1) I follow the 4 rules and either (if the gun has an external hammer, I put my thumb on the hammer when reholstering, otherwise, I make sure I am reholstering into a Kydex holster IWB or either type OWB). To not have a (2), I only use handguns without a manual safety. No ifs/ands/buts about it. Triggger, mag release and slide release. That is all that I need to manipulate.

The glock has 3 safeties as it it. another one is going to do nothing but possibly give me a (2) error. And the time I would spend in training myself to "snick" or "sweep" off the safety is time I could be using training myself in a simpler gun without a manual safety.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links