GP100 for home defense

This is a discussion on GP100 for home defense within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently (within the last year) taught my fiance to shoot. I started her out on the Ruger GP100 and she shoots fairly well with ...

Thread: GP100 for home defense

GP100 for home defense

I recently (within the last year) taught my fiance to shoot. I started her out on the Ruger GP100 and she shoots fairly well with it. She has no desire to move up to a semiauto, at all. Believe you me I tried, Glocks, Sigs, 1911's she doesn't like any as much as the revolver. That said, the Ruger has now by default become the bedroom, fight to the gun safe and all of the long guns, gun. She is somewhat recoil sensitive so I have her practice with .38spl loads, and have it loaded with .357 magnum for actual home defense. Anyone here use a wheelgun for home defense? If so, what do you load it with (125gr. 147gr. etc.)? Do you favor downloading it to .38spl for your better half? Any input here would be appreciated. Thanks
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

2. Remove Ads

If you are worried about how she will handle the 357 rounds, there are some good 38spl defense rounds out there.

She picked a well made gun to fall in love with and it would handle some nice 38 spl +p Defense loads quite nicely.

Whatever you decide to use for defense rounds, she should shoot a few times. You and your wife should know what to expect when you end up needing to use them in a life and death situation.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I'm thinking the magnum loads may be too much for HD, over penetration comes to mind. I have a 642 with 110gr DPX +P and also an N frame loaded with 125 gr. +P...but I wouldn't feel under gunned with std pressure .38 JHP(now that I think about it, the +Ps may be too much for HD also, but I carry concealed with the 642).

And a revolver for HD? I think they're great. Simple, point and shoot. I have my M&P.40, but I still love revolvers....SP101 is on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I recently (within the last year) taught my fiance to shoot. I started her out on the Ruger GP100 and she shoots fairly well with it. She has no desire to move up to a semiauto, at all. Believe you me I tried, Glocks, Sigs, 1911's she doesn't like any as much as the revolver. That said, the Ruger has now by default become the bedroom, fight to the gun safe and all of the long guns, gun. She is somewhat recoil sensitive so I have her practice with .38spl loads, and have it loaded with .357 magnum for actual home defense. Anyone here use a wheelgun for home defense? If so, what do you load it with (125gr. 147gr. etc.)? Do you favor downloading it to .38spl for your better half? Any input here would be appreciated. Thanks
    I use a GP100 for carry and for home defense. My wife just does not shoot so that's not an issue for me. I use Speer GD 125gr .357mag. I also have a couple of S&Ws and a Taurus that I usually load up with 125gr 38+P.

My wife likes revolvers

My wife has always favored revolvers over semiautos for shooting at the range. She keeps a S&W 642 snubby .38 by the bed, and I have a S&W 66 snubby .357 in a steel lockbox by the computer that she also likes. She handles either one well for home defense.

Senior Moderator
    Revolvers are our main home defense guns. We have 38's in the snubbie and .357's in the full size.

When I carry an auto it goes in the safe at night and the revolvers always live beside the bed.

My wife has never felt comfortable with autos (racking the slide, safteys, clearing jams) so we chose wheel guns for the home defense pistol.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I like 125 grain Golden Sabers in my SP101.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I keep 125gr Remy BJHP in my GP100.

I lived in Milwaukee for a spell. 84th and Good Hope.

nothing wrong with a wheel gun for the home. as for ammo i would find a ammo that your girl can/will shoot. look at the 38 sp loads. you don't have to go for the hottest loads,,,, a good old 158 gr 38sp load will do the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My wife has a S&W revolver 38spl she keeps by here side of the bed.It's
    been there since she got here ccw.

We keep .38 Special revolvers here, loaded with factory 158 grain +P SWC's.

My better half doesn't have a problem with recoil though she's not to keen on .44 Magnum. She actually likes one particular old .45 Auto best of all but I still haven't found a replacement rear sight for it so she's making do with the .38's.

Hey thanks all of you who replied. I think we'll stick to the 125gr. Gold Dots I picked up the other day. I realized that trying to get her to switch to an auto is a losing proposition and maybe I shouldn't try to get her to switch anyway. The only problem I have with wheelguns is that I can't attach a light to one. Anyone know of an adapter out there that will let you do that?
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Links