Defensive Carry banner

New Federal .327 Magnum Cartridge / New Ruger SP101 .327 Fed Magnum : MERGED

8K views 37 replies 36 participants last post by  nn 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I hope S&W makes a 6 shot 342 in this caliber! :image035:

#5 ·
The new .327 Federal Magnum offers muzzle energy twice that of .38 Special +P loads, and velocities comparable to a 125-grain .357 Magnum, with 20 percent less recoil in its hottest version. Designed specifically for use in lightweight small-frame revolvers, the .327 Federal Magnum allows a six-round cylinder compared to five-round capacity for similar-sized .38 Special and .357 Magnum guns, with the added benefit of chambering .32 S&W, .32 Special, and .32 H&R Magnum loads as well.
One more shot in a J-Frame sized package might be nice, but most of me wants to say...big deal.

#6 ·
I just can't get exicted about it. The 38spl has been getting it done for 100yrs.

I think we easily get caught up in hype

#7 ·
Numbers?

The article reveals a few numbers and conceals other numbers, which I found unusual. For example, it gave the bullet weights and gelatin penetration inches for the ammunition described, but only described velocities and energies as "100 fps more than 125 grain .357 magnum" and "35 ft-lbs less than .357 magnum".

It was also a little vague about the size of the expanded hollowpoint bullets, mentioning "0.4 to 0.6" inches, which covers a lot of ground. If the number is 0.4 inches, that is a lot smaller hole than you will get with an expanded .357 magnum or 9mm.

But as we all know, 125 grain .357 magnum ammo is available in all sorts of loadings, giving a wide range of velocities and energies. So which one are they comparing to? This is like saying that a new car will go faster than a Chevrolet. Are you talking about a Chevrolet Corvette or a Chevrolet van? So I found the lack of precision in describing the ballistics rather annoying.

As for the concept of a .32 caliber magnum, I'm sure it will appeal to a certain market niche. In the one gun now available, the Ruger SP101, it offers the advantage of 6 shots over 5 with no increase in gun size, which will appeal to some buyers.

#9 ·
Can't help remembering when the Ruger .204 came out, and of course the .45GAP. Initially the thought ... ''what! Another cal''! (or variant).

It could tho finish up with a niche following ...... way too late in the day for me to consider anything beyond what I have but could well be it'll filter into the new shooter CCW market over time, for snubs.

I wonder these days how much uptake there has been on the NAA .32 and whether it really is so much better than a good .380 round.

#15 ·
I too would like to see some more specific numbers on the cartridge, but other than that I say great. Might end up gettin' one for my girlfriend, especially since it can also chamber the H&R's for practice loads. Of course it depends on if they play the proprietary cartridge thing and you can't find brass for em'. I'm all for cartridge innovation, The one's that really perform and fill a niche will stick around and the ones that are mostly hype will be flashes in the pan. I definately think there is promise for the cartridge though.

#16 ·
Hopefully you can have your .32 H&R bored out and it'll work. Buying a new gun to get this caliber would be a waste of money IMO. If I had a .32 H&R already I might get the chambers lengthened to shoot this stuff, but I have no intentions of buying one of these things...That's a tiny bullet!

Austin

#20 ·
"The new .327 Federal Magnum offers muzzle energy twice that of .38 Special +P loads"

That's a bit of a stretch.

The Chevy small block 327 was a great engine, perhaps the number will work with this round. If it'll make for more bullets on the market for me to try out in my .32-20's then I'm all for it.

#22 ·
S&W has offered a six round J-frame in .32 H&R Magnum for about fifteen years now, as has Ruger with its SP-101. The new round extends the performance of this concept. I doubt if it will catch on because few people get excited about a .32 for self-defense. As stated above, the .38 Special +P personal protection round fills the niche nicely.

That said, I always thought it would be interesting to see a new revolver cartridge at a true .350 caliber, loaded to +P standards, fitted in a revolver slightly larger than the J-frame so that it could hold six rounds. With the right people behind it, it could sell and finally displace the .38 Special, which, after all, is originally a blackpowder round. With modern powders all that case space is not needed to find good performance out of a J-frame snubby.

Maybe someone out there who can do something about this development is reading my post. The idea is now in public domain. Let the R&D begin.

#23 ·
New Ruger SP101 .327 Federal Magnum

Anybody planning on getting one of these?

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st327_110707/

Got these stats from Federal's website:

The ammunition will be available in three loads:
• PD327HS1 H: Federal Premium 85-gr Hydra-Shok™ JHP
(1330 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16” barrel)
• AE327: American Eagle® 100-gr SP
(1400 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16” barrel)
• 23914 : Speer 115-gr Gold Dot® HP
(1300 fps muzzle velocity in 3-1/16” barrel)

A small six shot revolver that shoots a 115 grain bullet at 9mm +P+ velocity (with better sectional density) may be a neat little gun to have. The article indicates that it penetrates VERY well, 13" - 16" in various media, with expansion to .40 - .65.

Ruger and Federal developed the cartridge, so the Ruger is the first gun to chamber it. Personally, the idea of 6 of these hot little rounds in an Airweight J frame kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and would be the heck out of a .380 in the pocket! I like the extra round over the .38 special, too.

Plus, ".327 Magnum" sounds cool.....:danceban: (Like a hot Chevy smallblock)

#24 ·
Does look like an interesting package. However I think I will stick to my 45 for now. But if you do jump on the band wagon I would love to read a range report.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.