Chambering the First Round ... again

This is a discussion on Chambering the First Round ... again within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1. I have read that if you chamber a round, remove it, and chamber it again....the bullet will be pushed further into the cassing and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chambering the First Round ... again

Chambering the First Round ... again

1. I have read that if you chamber a round, remove it, and chamber it again....the bullet will be pushed further into the cassing and when fired could have to much pressure and destroy the gun. How many time does it take for the round to become dangerous?

2. how long is it safe to leave a gun loaded, ready to go in a safe, without having to empty clip to give it a rest?

thanks.

2. Remove Ads

As far as I know both are myths.

yes you can have bullet setback and have it crank up pressures enough to blow a gun.. how many times cant say havent pushed my luck it varys buy gun and caliber

As for how long can you leave a clips loaded i suppose you could leave a M1 Garand clip loaded forever

if you mean a magazine same thing it is the actual cycling of the mag spring load unload that wears the springs

Trya search you will find a lot of other posts on this subject

1. You might want to buy a caliper and check for yourself.

2. I unload my magazines when I go shooting and I don't want to shoot my JHP's, otherwise I have a few magazines always loaded in my guns. I think the magazine will wear out first, but I can always replace the spring if it's not feeding correctly. I give all of my magazines a workout a couple times a month.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I've fired some pretty smashed looking bullets in my gun - it didn't blow up. I think I was lucky though....I don't make a habit of it. If it looks wrong, it probably is. Magazine springs wear out depending how often you use them. Leaving them loaded doesn't hurt anything.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I've fired some pretty smashed looking bullets in my gun - it didn't blow up.
    Austin
    Why? And, I assume you don't strictly mean "bullet". As in the part that flys out of the casing.

I use standard pressure rounds in a gun that is rated for +p. My theory is that even if I backseat a little, I should be OK. I still try to keep it down to 5x.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

When I first read albout 'set-back', I purposely chambered and rechambered the same round dozens of times each and measured. Never could find a bit of difference from never-chambered rounds.

Is there a cetain caliber or brand that this is more likely to happen with?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I chamber an extra by hand, so no worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    When I first read albout 'set-back', I purposely chambered and rechambered the same round dozens of times each and measured. Never could find a bit of difference from never-chambered rounds.

Is there a cetain caliber or brand that this is more likely to happen with?
    40s are good for it

also depends who made the rounds to begin with .. I have chambered Winchesters before and seen setback when i take them out 1st time with 45's then i have had same style of winchesters but different box that have take 5 reloads .. 5 is the max i will reload if i see no set back or measure no set back

Nitroglock. Your reply implies that you insert a round into the chamber by hand and then insert your magazine. If so, this can damage your extractor on a 1911, I don't know about other guns. The proper way to do it is to insert a magazine, cycle the slide to insert a round into the chamber, remove the magazine and replenish the inserted round, then reinsert your magazine.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I generally take several rounds out of the magazine, mix them up, and then reload the magazine for some randomization. Occasionally I will take all of them out.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Moderator
    First, setback is a real problem. So much so that at least one manufacturer (don't recall which it is, but seems like it is Sig) will not honor the warranty if they discover a round has been chambered more than once.

I have done tests on Sigs, Berettas, H&Ks, and M&Ps. I got significant setback with all of them, the M&P being the worst by far.

Many of us have to load/unload daily. If we don't reload a SD round more than once, we're faced with buying new ammo frequently. So here's what I've started doing.

I load a round directly into the chamber by hand; there's no risk of setback whatsoever. Then I drop the slide and insert the magazine. Some claim that this practice will break the extractor; some designs are probably more susceptable to this than others, e.g. 1911s with internal extractors.

Beretta however, for both the 92FS and the PX4, describes the manual chamber loading method in the owner's manual as a legitimate way of loading a round, so it sure shouldn't be a problem with the PX4 and 92FS.

For the M&P, I purposefully bought the model with the magazine disconnect. To 'unload' the M&P, I simply remove the magazine and the gun won't fire, so I can leave the round in the chamber. Yes, I realize that's depending on a mechanical safety device. Plus, I can't say that I'd recommend this as a longer term 'unloading' method. One place I do this is when I have to leave my gun in the car. I pull the mag and take it with me. If someone breaks in my car, they'll have a gun with no mag, that won't shoot. So even if they buy ammo, they can't shoot it without buying a magazine.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Its a magazine not a clip. Thank you.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    It may or may not be mythical. To cover all bases, if I chamber a round and remove it unfired, it goes in my "shoot next" box. So most rounds are chambered only once, a few twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links