So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds... - Page 3

So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds...

This is a discussion on So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok here are some of the pictures. This is the entry of a 12 gauge 3 inch magnum from the distance of about 6 feet. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds...

Ok here are some of the pictures.

This is the entry of a 12 gauge 3 inch magnum from the distance of about 6 feet.

This is where it exited the chest cavity and entered the right bicep.

This is the exit wounds of the right bicep. Remember there were 15 pellets in this load.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Hard to believe he didn't drop. Thanks for the info.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Moderator
    Bottom line - there is no such thing as an instant stop from any handheld firearm unless it disrupts the central nervous system above the C6/T1 level. Otherwise, the person who has been shot has a minute or more to continue what they were doing.

In the case in question, the guy was dead when he was shot, he just didn't realize it until he ran up two flights of steps and hung out for a bit.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Worked an accidental shooting years ago. Female took 12 ga. slug through left side of chest at slight upward angle. Missed ribs, heart, collarbone and scapula. Just a single hole, about dime size clean through. Lived, but lost left lung. Very lucky lady! Slug went through 2 sheet rock walls, bounced off medicine cabinet, and dropped in bathroom sink. Lucky for rest of the family.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    OMG.

Devastating freaking wound. And the dude STILL ran up two flights of stairs. I guess the moral, as already noted, is nothing is a death ray. Run away if you can. If you can't shoot, and shoot some more.

Wow.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member
    Most of the wounds I observed had large portions of the body eviscerated (gone) where the pellets impacted. I am guessing it was smaller pellets with less penetration but greater "damage" to the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Most of the wounds I observed had large portions of the body eviscerated (gone) where the pellets impacted. I am guessing it was smaller pellets with less penetration but greater "damage" to the flesh.
    00 Buck, 3" Magnum, 12 gauge at 6 feet.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Distinguished Member

Buz
    #1 Buck is arguably the best 12ga home defense load. Pellets are large enough to stop a PCP/Meth crazed dude, yet small enough not to kill someone in an adjacent room(ie,family members/neighbors)

I met a guy who had accidentally shot himself in the lower leg, above the ankle, with a 12 guage loaded with birdshot. The doctors had to amputate his left foot. He was taking the shotgun out of a truck when it went off. Basically, from the center of the lower leg,below the knee, his foot, ankle and lower leg were gone and replaced with metal. Do NOT believe that birdshot will not kill you. I also had 2 males killed with birdshot. One guy ambushed the other guy and then committed suicide with the same shotgun. It was a mess. Both guys died almost instantly. I had others who shot themselves with a shotgun to commit suicide. I can't remember one who lived after they shot themselves. I can vouch for the effectiveness of a good 12 guage shotgun when used at close range against a human body.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

My 12ga coach gun is only into 00buck for a delivery system...maxium power. I do not worry about taking out windows and doors, heads and arms, hearts and lungs, or whatever! If you come into my home will ill intentions, I will fear for my life, and the lives of my family members...you're not leaving 'vertically'...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another side note, with birdshot is that if the attacker should survive the initial blast, then they've got a whole bunch of tiny pellets lodged in their chest.

Completely inoperable (cant find all those little things) and unless quickly and appropriately treated, it will lead to an immune system overload and shock.

So if it doesn't kill them now, it's most likely going to kill them later.

I had a Sgt. under me in the military that took a load of 7 1/2 birdshot at point blank range while a lot younger. He told me one day that he had already died since his cousin tripped and disharged his 12 ga. into his back. He remembers waking up in the E.R., and hearing a Doctor saying, he's dead, get him out of here or something like that. They threw a sheet over him and starting wheeling him out. He said he screamed out and threw the sheet off, I'm alive and walked out of the hospital a few weeks later, and later joined the military. I never noticed any problems with his health. He was in my outfit in the early 1970's and I know he's alive alive today.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links