So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds...

This is a discussion on So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know, sounds more than morbid but I was following up an old thread about what type of pellets are best for home defense. That ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds...

Distinguished Member

So I'm doing some research on shotgun wounds...

I know, sounds more than morbid but I was following up an old thread about what type of pellets are best for home defense. That lead to a link on shotgun wounds. Not a lunch time discussion. After about a dozen pics of shotgun wounds I started having second thoughts about owning a shotgun for self defense.
    Then the link took me to crime victims. Many were murdered in their home. Those pics were even more disturbing. I started imagining my wife or children's faces in place of those poor souls.
    Sooo, I have decided on number four buckshot for the first round if I am fearing collateral wounding followed by number one buckshot to end the madness.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Sounds like a good selection, I personally use reglar #2 Lead (not buck). So I'm wondering why were you having second thoughts on a shotty for self defense?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    Sounds like a good selection, I personally use reglar #2 Lead (not buck). So I'm wondering why were you having second thoughts on a shotty for self defense?
    Si. But no more.

Personally I load #4's in my shotguns dedicated to Home Defense.

If I need more than that I need Puff The Magic Dragon. I've used 000 and 00 but keep coming back to the #4's. Besides it's what the local Agencies use, as well as my own, so I'm familiar with it.

Biker

At typical distances encountered in a home you're not going to see one bit of difference between #4 and #1.

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    At typical distances encountered in a home you're not going to see one bit of difference between #4 and #1.
    I am involved with a case now and when it is over I will post a few pics if everyone wants. Guy was shot at a distance of 6 feet, 3" magnum 12 gauge 00 Buck. What do you think exited the body? he was shot from a angle in the upper left chest angled toward the right arm pit.

You maybe surprised.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    I am involved with a case now and when it is over I will post a few pics if everyone wants. Guy was shot at a distance of 6 feet, 3" magnum 12 gauge 00 Buck. What do you think exited the body? he was shot from a angle in the upper left chest angled toward the right arm pit.

You maybe surprised.
    I, for one, would be interested in seeing the pics.

What do you think exited the body?

My guess is: his innerds.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Oh, FIREARMZ, you are evil to keep us in suspense like that. At least TELL us what exited the body...

My guess is that chunks of his heart, collar bone, scapula and sternum exited the wound, which was the size of a baseball.

Either that, or nothing at all and the his right side of his torso was just a huge, swollen bump of streched skin with chunks of the stuff mentioned above lying directly beneath the skin.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

My guess is a bunch of his body exited his body.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

00 Buck is like shooting 15 9mm bullets in one single shot... I'll stick with 3 inch magnum 00 Buck until further notice :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I have to testify Wednesday as an expert witness so I can't post any real info. until after then.

How ever the load entered just below center of the left pec going angular toward the right, exiting under the arm pit and into the right bicep. 5 pellets exited the exterior of the bicep into a heavy sweat shirt, one pellet fell onto the floor, two were hung in the sweat shirt and two went into the sheet rock wall. Exit wounds were all individual 31. cal holes (slightly less). No internal organs were out of the body, there was a large entry wound about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Just to dis spell a myth shotguns even at that range and such a good hit, does not throw people through the air and drop them in their tracks. The guy managed to run up two short flights of stairs, stand in a door way for a undisclosed amount of time before collapsing and eventually expiring.
    Like I say, let me get through court and I will add more.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I thank you for the information, man. I am surprised a little (but not a whole lot) by those individual exit wounds. I guess you just never can tell for sure the terminal effect of any given load. Also proves that nothing is just going to be a death ray all the time (two flights of stairs!! Wow...kind of like a deer with a heart shot- I've seen them run a hundred yards or more).

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to the additional info later....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    actually 00 buck is just a touch over 32 (.33")and about 54 grains, quite a bit smaller than 9mm. #4Buck is about 24 caliber and 20 grains. Seeing as most decent loads are pushing them over 1200fps like another guy said, it don't matter much at household ranges.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Check out this link. I won't attempt to rewrite thee article. In short, they suggest #1 Buckshot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links