Defensive Carry banner

One day at the range...

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  rocky 
#1 ·
I am shooting alone on the rifle range one day and between mag changes I saw some people setting up a bench to shoot. I waved, smiled and said "Line is Hot!"

I go back to the fun...then switch guns.

So I am looking through my scope while adjusting my gun on the shootingbag and then glimpse upon one of the guys...down range...setting up targets...

I unloaded, took my earplugs out, glasses off, made clear and gave those people a fairly upset scolding that I am now feeling some guilt about. :spankme::spankme::spankme::buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:

I am wondering what you guys would have done in my position?

#3 ·
nope, i was in America visiting with family. I am an American, I've just lived here in Germany for three years but have really soaked a lot of the culture, langauge and customs in over here. :danceban:

Perhaps in german it would be: Feuerfrei? Aufpassen Feuere? Pass auf: Schiessen? :bier:

#5 ·
Let's imagine the other outcome: something goes badly wrong and one of your rounds kills the moron downrange. Germany is not exactly a gun friendly country. I'll bet you go to prison, or at least go through real hell proving that you weren't at fault.

Given that possibility, I see no real limit to how severe of a scolding you can rightfully give in this situation.

#7 ·
no, I wasn't in Germany. I used to be able to shoot the sheriff's machine guns back home in America but no matter how much I try I cannot get the Police here to let me shoot theirs!

I rent my own apartment here and let me tell you, shortly, that the process to get a work visa here or formalities to getting even the oven in my apartment fixed just makes me think of the 16 levels of hell that would come to pass if this did happen in germany and I did accidentally shoot the guy. But I tend to think it would be his fault here in Germany because in Germany they have a tendency to put the blame on the idiots. Point in example: Smoking, people who smoke can't sue anyone because they chose to smoke.
Dass heisst: Deine Schuld!

#9 ·
I take it you live in Germany due to your job? I can't imagine any other reason to live there to be honest.

I think you should feel fine with the way you dealt with the idiots. They could have been killed by you and then you'd really feel bad.

They needed a good, loud talking to. You did them a favor in the long run.

#10 ·
I am shooting alone on the rifle range one day and between mag changes I saw some people setting up a bench to shoot. I waved, smiled and said "Line is Hot!"
I go back to the fun...then switch guns.
So I am looking through my scope while adjusting my gun on the shootingbag and then glimpse upon one of the guys...down range...setting up targets...
I unloaded, took my earplugs out, glasses off, made clear and gave those people a fairly upset scolding that I am now feeling some guilt about. :spankme::spankme::spankme::buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:
I am wondering what you guys would have done in my position?

I would have walked over when he came back and read him the riot act! Had there been range rules, I would have ensured that he knew it was wrong to go downrange when others were shooting!

#11 ·
I would have done the same and would not felt bad at all. As a matter of fact... the more you embarrass him in front of the others the more he will remember the scolding in the future. You may have just saved his life.

Hopefully the scolding you gave will make him think twice before walking out on a hot range.

Was he shooting sideways too?

#15 ·
I regularly shoot at a public, unsupervised range. Great place to shoot, as long as there aren't any idiots around at the time.

I try to be friendly to anyone who shows up, but I won't tolerate stupidity on the line. When someone else shows up, I'll stop firing and ask if they would like to hang a target, making sure that I have eye contact and full understanding before the range goes hot or cold.

I've had to just pack up and leave a couple of times. I generally get a cup of coffee and come back... most of the idiots don't seem to stay for long.

If someone started downrange while I was firing, I'd have politely mentioned the problem to them, but I would not have yelled at them or insulted them in any way. Keep it polite and amiable.

I've seen new shooters turned away from the range because somebody ragged on them for not knowing or following range safety procedures. AFAIC, driving someone interested in shooting away from the sport is bad ju-ju.

#16 ·
i would have done the same thing.
i dont get upset at people very often. the one exception is people being unsafe around guns. being a range officer myself i have many times gotten upset with people. almost always for the same reason: the gun misfired. its not something they are used to, so they turn the gun sideways and look at it (so its pointing directly at the person in the stall next to them :nono:
that is NOT something i tolerate and im sure if i saw someone do what the ppl were you were did, they would get an ear full :rant:

#17 ·
Every once in a while someone does something stupid like that. I once saw a guy ride a bike(headed downrange between hot firing lines a the National rifle match in Ohio. 160 some firing stations(firing ) on each side should have been a clue not to ride there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.