One day at the range...

One day at the range...

This is a discussion on One day at the range... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am shooting alone on the rifle range one day and between mag changes I saw some people setting up a bench to shoot. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One day at the range...

I am shooting alone on the rifle range one day and between mag changes I saw some people setting up a bench to shoot. I waved, smiled and said "Line is Hot!"

I go back to the fun...then switch guns.

So I am looking through my scope while adjusting my gun on the shootingbag and then glimpse upon one of the guys...down range...setting up targets...

I unloaded, took my earplugs out, glasses off, made clear and gave those people a fairly upset scolding that I am now feeling some guilt about.

I am wondering what you guys would have done in my position?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Was this in Duisburg? Perhaps you didn't say it in German.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Was this in Duisburg? Perhaps you didn't say it in German.
    nope, i was in America visiting with family. I am an American, I've just lived here in Germany for three years but have really soaked a lot of the culture, langauge and customs in over here.

Perhaps in german it would be: Feuerfrei? Aufpassen Feuere? Pass auf: Schiessen?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    Some people just live in a tunnel

Let's imagine the other outcome: something goes badly wrong and one of your rounds kills the moron downrange. Germany is not exactly a gun friendly country. I'll bet you go to prison, or at least go through real hell proving that you weren't at fault.

Given that possibility, I see no real limit to how severe of a scolding you can rightfully give in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Let's imagine the other outcome: something goes badly wrong and one of your rounds kills the moron downrange. Germany is not exactly a gun friendly country. I'll bet you go to prison, or at least go through real hell proving that you weren't at fault.

Given that possibility, I see no real limit to how severe of a scolding you can rightfully give in this situation.
    He said he wasnt in Germany...
    "A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes"-Mark Twain

no, I wasn't in Germany. I used to be able to shoot the sheriff's machine guns back home in America but no matter how much I try I cannot get the Police here to let me shoot theirs!

I rent my own apartment here and let me tell you, shortly, that the process to get a work visa here or formalities to getting even the oven in my apartment fixed just makes me think of the 16 levels of hell that would come to pass if this did happen in germany and I did accidentally shoot the guy. But I tend to think it would be his fault here in Germany because in Germany they have a tendency to put the blame on the idiots. Point in example: Smoking, people who smoke can't sue anyone because they chose to smoke.
    Dass heisst: Deine Schuld!

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    no, I wasn't in Germany. I used to be able to shoot the sheriff's machine guns back home in America but no matter how much I try I cannot get the Police here to let me shoot theirs!

!
    You are obviously a gun enthusiast. Can't imagine you'll want to stay in Germany long. It's a very nice place but not gun friendly.

I take it you live in Germany due to your job? I can't imagine any other reason to live there to be honest.

I think you should feel fine with the way you dealt with the idiots. They could have been killed by you and then you'd really feel bad.

They needed a good, loud talking to. You did them a favor in the long run.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    I am shooting alone on the rifle range one day and between mag changes I saw some people setting up a bench to shoot. I waved, smiled and said "Line is Hot!"
    I go back to the fun...then switch guns.
    So I am looking through my scope while adjusting my gun on the shootingbag and then glimpse upon one of the guys...down range...setting up targets...
    I unloaded, took my earplugs out, glasses off, made clear and gave those people a fairly upset scolding that I am now feeling some guilt about.
    I am wondering what you guys would have done in my position?

I would have walked over when he came back and read him the riot act! Had there been range rules, I would have ensured that he knew it was wrong to go downrange when others were shooting!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would have done the same and would not felt bad at all. As a matter of fact... the more you embarrass him in front of the others the more he will remember the scolding in the future. You may have just saved his life.

Hopefully the scolding you gave will make him think twice before walking out on a hot range.

Was he shooting sideways too?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I take it you live in Germany due to your job? I can't imagine any other reason to live there to be honest.

I think you should feel fine with the way you dealt with the idiots. They could have been killed by you and then you'd really feel bad.

They needed a good, loud talking to. You did them a favor in the long run.
    Yup, I'm an expat who misses shooting, hunting, his Mustang and his mom's homecooking

I would have done the same thing....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

There is always a stupid one out there.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I regularly shoot at a public, unsupervised range. Great place to shoot, as long as there aren't any idiots around at the time.

I try to be friendly to anyone who shows up, but I won't tolerate stupidity on the line. When someone else shows up, I'll stop firing and ask if they would like to hang a target, making sure that I have eye contact and full understanding before the range goes hot or cold.

I've had to just pack up and leave a couple of times. I generally get a cup of coffee and come back... most of the idiots don't seem to stay for long.

If someone started downrange while I was firing, I'd have politely mentioned the problem to them, but I would not have yelled at them or insulted them in any way. Keep it polite and amiable.

I've seen new shooters turned away from the range because somebody ragged on them for not knowing or following range safety procedures. AFAIC, driving someone interested in shooting away from the sport is bad ju-ju.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links