Rotating your mags

This is a discussion on Rotating your mags within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does it really make a difference in the longevity of a mag to rotate it in and out of service on a weekly basis? I ...

Thread: Rotating your mags

Rotating your mags

Does it really make a difference in the longevity of a mag to rotate it in and out of service on a weekly basis? I do it, assuming that keeping the mag fully loaded on a regular basis would wear out the spring faster.

I have a Kimber Custom 2 with one stock 7rd mag, 2 CMC 7rd, and a Wilson Combat 10rd. All fuction flawlessly, but the stock Kimber one is definitely inferior to the others.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    no, there is no need to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

NDS
    Even though I have a very high opinion of my Ultra CDP II, I have the same low opinion of my Kimber magazines as you. I prefer to use other brands I have.

FYI, a few years back I came across some Colt magazines for my Commander that I had boxed up loaded at least a dozen years prior and fired them just as I found them. They functioned perfectly. I put them away with my others; I don't worry about rotating them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PatP View Post
    Does it really make a difference in the longevity of a mag to rotate it in and out of service on a weekly basis? I do it, assuming that keeping the mag fully loaded on a regular basis would wear out the spring faster.

I have a Kimber Custom 2 with one stock 7rd mag, 2 CMC 7rd, and a Wilson Combat 10rd. All fuction flawlessly, but the stock Kimber one is definitely inferior to the others.

Woking the spring is what make it weak over time. I rotate my mag just because. There is not real need to do so.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Pat,

There is no need to rotate mags that will run. The key is to find which ones run and which don't. Keep them clean and dry, follow manufacturers spring replacement recommendations and check feed lips for cracks periodically...

Just out of curiosity, how do the "Kimber" mags appear inferior, do they function inadequately? Thanks....

Adam
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

rotate and mark

although i have always rotated every month, i see from some of the post's that it is not necessary......

but i do mark all of my mag's with either number's or just marks, 1, 2 etc..... that way if i ever have a feeding problem i can easily note which mag it is...... maybe not an issue for just a couple, but when you 3 or 4 or more it could be.....

jimb

I've seen some cheap mags have the spring get weak from being compressed, but they probably would have got weak from existing. There nice for malfunction training.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    Pat,

Just out of curiosity, how do the "Kimber" mags appear inferior, do they function inadequately? Thanks....

Adam
    Mainly it's the finish. While the stock Kimber mag has yet to fail functionally, it is beginning to show pitting. I have to keep oiling the finish every few days or the surface rust spreads. All my mags are the same age, and the blued CMC and Wilson show none of this.

If it's inferior on the outside, it's probably inferior on the inside.

Magazines don't get weak from being loaded, they get weak from repetition of compressing the spring over and over. Its the same with recoil springs and any other spring in a gun. My Kimber magazine so far has been 100% reliable but it seems they are alittle weaker in the spring area than others when inserting rounds.

I read in a magazine once where they found a loaded 1911 magazine from and old WWII 1911 in a deceased guys attic. They did not fire his 1911 but took the magazine and put it in a modern 1911 (Springfield I believe) and all 7 shots fired without a hitch and they noted the magazine could still be used as it still had plenty of tension.Even all the old ammo in the magazine fired without any dry packs or anything to keep moisture out. They then put another 50rds of modern ammo in it and all fired and functioned perfectly. They believe the magazine was loaded for about 20 years when they found it. Now if this dos'nt convince you then I don't know what will.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    no, there is no need to.
    Agreed. Wear and tear on a mag spring comes from compressing and decompressing. Not just leaving it compressed. Either don't load the mags, or leave them loaded. Rotating the mags will cause more spring wear than simply leaving them loaded all the time.

I learned this from the ISMI tech support, Wolff springs tech support, and 2 gunsmiths I use.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Administrator
    Wolff Gun Springs suggests that higher capacity double stack magazines be stripped of the top round or two before remaining loaded for extended periods of time.
    I'm just the messenger...don't shoot me.
    It's a printed answer on the Wollf Frequently Asked Questions page.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

no reason to to so. we did many mango seasons ago, but today with the way the springs are made you don'y have to.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links