How far and still accurate?

This is a discussion on How far and still accurate? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, what's the farthest distance a .38 caliber snubnose would still be pretty accurate (good grouping) if shot by a steady handed good shooter? Same ...

Thread: How far and still accurate?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

How far and still accurate?

Ok, what's the farthest distance a .38 caliber snubnose would still be pretty accurate (good grouping) if shot by a steady handed good shooter?

Same question for a 1911 .45 caliber Mini (3 or 3.5 inch barrel)?

Again, Same Q for a full size 1911 .45 caliber?

Also, would a 1911 with a 3.5" barrel be much different in accuracy than a 3"?

Thanks...
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Army - there are tales of snubs hitting plates at 100 yds!! Not by me tho! I rate a snub personally as good to 25 yds with right load and practice. Much over that then things spread some! My SP-101 can do pretty well at 50 yards but spread becomes rather obvious even rested... killer shots tho nonetheless!!!

A full size 1911 should be capable of 100 yd shots usually - probably a neck hold on a PPC target would get useful hits tho grouping would be spreading some IMO.

Shorter barrels? Well I am the outsider in this 1911 camp LOL - but would expect a shorter barrel to still ''make it'' - like my P12-45 would make 100 yds but - spread will I think ineviatably be way more obvious. I'd rate a compact at 50 yards for relatively reliable good hits. Just me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    I remember seeing Bob Munden hitting a balloon at 200 yards with a snub nose 38, but then again most of us are no Bob Munden.
    It's just a question of trajectory. If you can lob it in there you can hit at most any range. I have hit silhouettes of chickens at 200 yards with my 1911 but I was in the prone position and it took a few shots before I was able to get the angle right.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

We do snubnose shoot-offs on a quarter-sized buffalo steel at 200m. 3 of 5 is doable with practice. On good days, I've seen guys get 5 of 5 once they're warmed up.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    It all doable to long range. Just a matter of how much time, practice and more practice ya wanna do. Shorter barrels will be less accurate sighting because of the shorter sight radius.

Wow, didn't know all that. Maybe I need to change my question a little.

Make that for mechanical accuracy - say they are in a vice - how far before the wobble comes into play and you don't know where it's gonna hit.

You know how a bb pistol with no rifling will shoot the bb fairly straight for a few to several feet then it might go way left or right or whatever.

I'd think the snubby would be first to lose it's accuracy but after reading some of the previous I'm not so sure anymore.

Assistant Administrator
    Army - the figures I gave were based on your requirement for grouping - ballistically a 38 spl bullet will if given suitable directory ''make it'' out to 200 yards but IMO from a snub the ''grouping ability'' will be pretty sloppy. I think a 2" barrel rather marginal for getting any real tight pattern.

Put a snub in a Ransom and I expect with a good load and once elevation set up - a large steel plate should be hittable almost every time at long range. I'd certainly prefer to go to at least 4" on barrel, preferable 6" before looking for tighter grouping, then it can be much more effective. Only my 2c tho!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good answers. Thanks....

You're looking at 24" groups at 200m just by the size of the impact area. Plenty good for a human-sized target in most cases COM, but you're not going to get to pick where.

Some of the consistency comes I think from individual shooters - hold the gun the same way, use the same reliable ammo, in the same conditions, and chances are they'll do a pretty good job - whether it's with a snub or with a full-sized gun.

I'd sure rather have a full-sized gun than something with a 2.5" barrel, but well, Murphy says I can't choose my battles.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Links