Microstamping news: STI Stopping Sales in Cali.: MERGED

This is a discussion on Microstamping news: STI Stopping Sales in Cali.: MERGED within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From the NSSF: MICROSTAMPING UPDATE . . . Effective immediately, STI International has halted all shipments of firearms to California. The company will no longer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microstamping news: STI Stopping Sales in Cali.: MERGED

Microstamping news: STI Stopping Sales in Cali.: MERGED

From the NSSF:

MICROSTAMPING UPDATE . . . Effective immediately, STI International has halted all shipments of firearms to California. The company will no longer sell any firearms to civilians or law enforcement in the state. The move by STI comes after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed microstamping legislation into law. "This law is not going to stop criminals, it is only going to hurt law-abiding citizens in the state," STI's Pauletta Skinner told Bullet Points. "We felt like we had to take a stand against this law."

Let's hope other manufacturers will line up with them....

Maybe my next gun should be an STI!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately, this is almost as much as a symbol (which isn't a bad thing) as when Barrett did it. Both are high end specialty manufacturers who probably didn't sell all that many there in the first place. I'd really like to see a Ruger, S&W, Glock type take this stand.

STI has no guns approved in CA at present...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Effective immediately, STI International has halted all shipments of firearms to California. The company will no longer sell any firearms to civilians or law enforcement in the state.
    Not to diminish STI's principled stand on microstamping, but STI does not presently have any guns approved for sale in California, as can be seen by reviewing the CA Dept. of Justice list of handguns certified for sale in California:

CA DOJ list of Certified Handguns

This means that ordinary CA consumers could not buy a new gun from STI and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in the state. A law enforcement person could buy one in CA, but this is probably a rare event.

JD
    Administrator
    BUT, it does show the politicians that there are other ways to legislate the guns out of their state...

I don't know if I should applaud STI, or cry.

one more reason not to move to CA

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    G. Gordon Liddy had the president of STI on his show today to discuss this issue. They have some market in CA and were working on a contract with a couple of LE organizations in CA. He doesn't know if there position will have any following and frankly doesn't care.

I agree its a stupid solution that won't have any impact on solving or preventing crimes.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

As a CA Resident I applaud STI and hope that every Manufacturer would do the same.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    BUT, it does show the politicians that there are other ways to legislate the guns out of their state...
    Bingo!

This is exactly what has happened and is on going in MA.
    We citizens, in MA, have very little choice thanks to a combination of the state govt. with it's crap 'consumer protection' laws as applied to firearms _and_ by mfrs. giving up on we buyers.
    In CA for mfrs. to give up on that state Barrett style would mean those citizens in that state are to be left in the lurch with nothing but sticks, stones, and used market guns.

I hope mfrs. do not go the routs of STI and instead choose to comply _and_ actively track results of as much as related to future crime reduction (crimes actually solved by this means) and to later lobby legislature as a coalition to in the future end this requirement.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    In CA for mfrs. to give up on that state Barrett style would mean those citizens in that state are to be left in the lurch with nothing but sticks, stones, and used market guns.

I hope mfrs. do not go the routs of STI and instead choose to comply _and_ actively track results of as much as related to future crime reduction (crimes actually solved by this means) and to later lobby legislature as a coalition to in the future end this requirement.

- Janq
    Not if the companies refuse to sell to LE as well; that would not sit well with the pols who want to be protected by militarized police forces.

And, when have facts actually mattered to antis?

I understand your sentiments, but think all firearms makers taking a principled stand and refusing to sell to CA would certainly lead to the law being reversed.

SCG,

The LEO and military markets have a wide range of tools and products available to them, always have and always will regardless of the consumer market and consumer applicable laws & regulations.

I'd said nothing about "facts" and antis (?).

As to opting out of selling to the state that will only steel legislators resistance to change their views, even when they are later proven to be obviously wrong. The situation with Maryland is a direct example of this.
    Meanwhile while state legislature and manufacturers are playing a game of who'll blink first it is we the people who are left to hold the bag, and in some folks cases they are body bags be they anti or not.

If I were Mr. STI and assuming compliance to this new requirement is as the antis say an inexpensive and simple/easy application then I'd do just that and I'd for CA buyers include with every product sold (not just guns but accessory items too) an official statement of our position on this asinine legislative requirement and I as Mr. STi/CEO would sign my name to it on company letterhead. Further in that letter I would encourage the purchaser to get vocal in expressing their issue with this legislation appraising them of the situation in the event that single buyer might not know as much is in play and become law.

Rather than giving up on the market and the people there in, my show of defiance would be to fight and counter the actions of the antis who got this baloney law in place to start.
    What they the antis want is for mfrs. to leave their market and thus reduce potential numbers of weapons sold to which by extension reduces the numbers of guns on the so called 'street' (in criminal hands). STI and others who have/will do same are in effect supporting the ultimate desire of those the antis.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Bingo!

This is exactly what has happened and is on going in MA.
    We citizens, in MA, have very little choice thanks to a combination of the state govt. with it's crap 'consumer protection' laws as applied to firearms _and_ by mfrs. giving up on we buyers.

- Janq
    edit: after re-reading my response it does sound a bit ...harsh, but I mean no offense to anyone here and am posting in its entirety anyway.

Regarding the emphasis I added in your post: Who's choice would that be? Those living there have the choice to: A) get the law changed, B) MOVE, C) create their own defensive tools and/or manufacturing corp that complies with the asinine law, or D) Stay there and act like the rest of the sheep.

I sincerely hope ALL the manufacturers pull out of CA as well as any that happen to have anything to do with NY, MA, MD, IL, NJ and any other non-Constitutional abiding state(even if it does drive up prices in the states left - I'm willing to pay it!). Left to their own devices they would crumble. LET THEM! How many times have we heard on this board..."it's not our job to save everyone else" in regard to why they carry? The same concept applies.

The problem(like your case in MA) is that not everyone has pulled out like they should. So it's left a hap-hazard void that no one has stepped up to fill yet.

This isn't just a firearm issue either. It's an individual freedom issue. If you were the maker of rocking chairs selling to folks in CA and they mandated that you must sell your chairs with built-in airbags, seat belts and other such nonsense to protect the brain-challenged, would you comply? Or would you say "Screw off! I'll sell my products else-where!"? Dunno about you, but I choose the latter.

I have a theory (may be right or may be wrong), but I think in essence countries should be treated like parenting (and no I'm not a parent so I have NO AUTHORITY in it -hence why it's just a theory). At some point there comes a time when the only way to solve the problem is to allow a determined and stubborn child to fail only so you can teach them how to pick themselves back up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    There are a lot of people that run the government agency's in Kalifornia,and live there as well,that do not give a hoot if another firearm ever sells there again....dosen't matter what type or who makes them....these people are magnum anti's (maganus anticus).

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    There are a lot of people that run the government agency's in Kalifornia,and live there as well,that do not give a hoot if another firearm ever sells there again....dosen't matter what type or who makes them....these people are magnum anti's (maganus anticus).
    Well, I do believe you just coined a new one...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The way I see it, if I lived if CA and was going through this crap, I would be very active in trying to enlighten people. If people can't be enlightened and stupid laws continued then I would be moving. I have a couple of friends that moved for that very reason. They are now happily living in Texas. I commend STI and Barratt for taking a stand. They are actually doing something instead of just passing by quietly. If the .gov wants guns out of that state and people are stupid enough to elect them then let those poeple deal with the consiquences and get out. I live in a very conservative area. If I lived around people I didn't get along with then I would go someplace else.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links