Best use of range time

This is a discussion on Best use of range time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are the opinions about practicing with only 1 gun during a set range time or taking and shooting multiple guns such as 1 or ...

Thread: Best use of range time

Best use of range time

What are the opinions about practicing with only 1 gun during a set range time or taking and shooting multiple guns such as 1 or 2 carry guns, home gun, bedside gun, etc. during the same range session? Any pros or cons?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    What are the opinions about practicing with only 1 gun during a set range time or taking and shooting multiple guns such as 1 or 2 carry guns, home gun, bedside gun, etc. during the same range session? Any pros or cons?
    I've often taken multiple guns to the range at the same time. I tend to think it's not the most effective way to practice.

Now granted that when I go to the range, its just a shooting range out on the farm. Anyways, I like to work with the guns that I would use in home defense more than anything. I'll have the shotgun, then transition to my carry and back. I believe that from doing this I'm able to prepare myself for the worst case scenario. A lot of the time when I want to shoot rifle I'll stick to rifle as the habits learned from defensive shooting as opposed to markmanship are a little different, and I really try to seperate as to not have any negative transfer.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

depends on how often you get to the range.
    if often enough, then work mostly with one gun at once + maybe a few rounds downrange with your primary carry.
    if you dont get down to the range often then it may be best to work with more than one

I use multiple guns in the same session

I always take two handguns to the range, and sometimes three. I like variety and like to compare my shooting with different guns by alternating back and forth. I also vary other things while practicing, such as the range, the rapidity of firing, different hands, etc.

Since getting to our range takes a fair bit of gas (54 miles round trip), I rarely go alone, and never with just one gun.
    Last edited by obxned; November 15th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I shoot one gun in a session. I'm either practicing for IDPA, USPSA, or doing some CCw drills and those are specific to certain guns.

I may take a long gun and shoot a few clays or plink, but I only shoot one handgun at a time.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

For the most part, I go to the range with a skill, or small set of skills, I want to work on with my carry/HD sidearm. I'll almost always take along amother two or three firearms with me to work them and me out. That and it's just more fun to shoot a couple diffrent guns!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I walked out my back door this morning, again, and stepped onto my shooting range..I usually shoot my home/personal defense guns..depends on the mood if I shoot all 3 or just spend some alone time with only one. Rifle and shotgun are not as often as defense guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I walked out my back door this morning, again, and stepped onto my shooting range...
    It's a lucky man you are.

I take multiple guns, however, I will usually complete my practice with one gun before transitioning to another.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links