Stolen Pistol, Question for you LEO's

This is a discussion on Stolen Pistol, Question for you LEO's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off, this will be a little different than most stolen gun questions because I've already got it back. A little backstory. My old lady ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Pistol, Question for you LEO's

Stolen Pistol, Question for you LEO's

First off, this will be a little different than most stolen gun questions because I've already got it back. A little backstory.

My old lady carries my Px4 in her purse. Not the best choice for carry I know, but she carries it, so whatever. Anyways, at her workplace on Wednesday afternoon it was taken from her purse. She was pretty sure it was this high school kid that works there in the afternoons, but he denied it.

So, I reported it to the police. She mentioned it to him and he started asking all kinds of questions about what the police would do. Long story short, it shows up in the parking lot this morning. Someone threw it out of a car and it skidded across the asphalt. The mag baseplate and all the ammo is gone. As well as the follower and mag spring. The finish is pretty beat up from the throw, but it didn't appear to be fired (barrel is still clean). Whoever did it, did manage to clear the round in the chamber though. The mag tube was left in the pistol.

The police have been very helpful, but I guess my question is, will they let me press charges against this punk kid? What I really want is a new mag and a box of ammo. I guess I could stomach the gun getting messed up. So, will they go with it or just basically be happy that the gun showed up and no one was robbed with it? Could I just threaten him into thinking they would do something so he buys me a new mag and the ammo or is that against the law?

They are supposed to call back later, but I don't want to be irate with them if it's not worth pursuing. I really wish it was the 1950's so I could go beat his damn face in. This really makes me mad.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Could I just threaten him into thinking they would do something so he buys me a new mag and the ammo or is that against the law?
    Threatening is never a good idea. As Yoda would say, "Do, or do not..." Yes, it is against the law. And I hate to say, with firearms, I'm prejudiced against the "victim" in these circumsatnces. Carry on the body, or don't carry (unless its an MP5k in a briefcase, in which case, I don't believe one would leave it sitting around.)

If her boss didn't fire your wife over the incident, just be glad, and more careful in the future.

At least you got it back.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Threatening is never a good idea. As Yoda would say, "Do, or do not..." Yes, it is against the law. And I hate to say, with firearms, I'm prejudiced against the "victim" in these circumsatnces. Carry on the body, or don't carry (unless its an MP5k in a briefcase, in which case, I don't believe one would leave it sitting around.)
    I meant more threaten that I'll press charges, but I'm not even sure I can press charges.

I really don't want the comments on purse carry. I know its not great even partly stupid, but if that means she takes a gun with her instead of leaving it at home in the safe, I'll take that. Although, I think this situation has convinced her that she needs to carry on her body. Either way, its her choice.

If her boss didn't fire your wife over the incident, just be glad, and more careful in the future.
    Her boss is pro-ccw and didn't blame her at all for it. He realizes that people shouldn't be going through purses in the back room of work and is probably going to fire the kid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    At least you got it back.
    There is that!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Were they able to get prints off the gun? He stole the gun, returned or not, it was stolen. He threw it out the window where anybody could have picked it up, negligent bla bla (what ever they call that in your area). He was under 21 with a handgun......

If they can prove it was this kid, they could get him on alot.
    -Biker

The only place you know what your gun is doing is on your person. Yes, it's wrong for anyone to go through someone elses' stuff. But don't think for a second that you wouldn't have a legal fight on your hands if the kid killed someone or committed suicide with it. That purse should've been locked up or no have a weapon in it. Glad no harm came, as it would've just been more ammo for the antis.

Not LEO, but unless there is evidence that the kid took it, I don't see how charges can be filed. Cut your losses and learn a lesson.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

JD
    Administrator
    OK guys, I'm pretty sure that we're good on the purse carry remarks. Sammy didn't leave it in the purse, his wife learned a valuable lesson.

Lets just call it a day on the purse comments.

has your wife been considering a new method of carry after this?

My question is, are you 100% certain that this kid took the firearm?

Did you or your wife see him do it? If the answer is "No" it seems to me that you have nothing but a scratched pistol and a valuable lesson learned.

Biker

No positive proof so I would let it go.....

Any survelliance cameras in the parking lot or inside building?

Seems to me the value of the gun is now much lower. It was physically damaged and involved in a crime (ie stolen). I'd press for replacement cost of the entire pistol.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Unless you have solid evidence of who took the pistol, you're SOL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Unless you have solid evidence of who took the pistol, you're SOL.

I would think, if you have some proof of who took it, you could file a civil action in small claims court.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links