Idiot mistake tonight - Page 2

Idiot mistake tonight

This is a discussion on Idiot mistake tonight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guns and ammo--never leave home without them .....BOTH of them!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idiot mistake tonight

Guns and ammo--never leave home without them .....BOTH of them!
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Here is another fine example why we should never leave home without a reload with us. I wish I could say I always have one with me. I don't. But I keep trying to make it a habit.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

+1 Reload would have fixed the problem. Good idea to have it along anyhow with a 5-shooter. I'm glad everything turned out well!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    It's kinda funny though. I can't imagine why you had the firearm completley assembled and didn't notice a weight differential from loaded to unloaded. I can pick up any one of pistols and withsout removing the mag or clearing the weapon I can tell you if it's loaded or not just from the weight of the firearm.
    Anyone can do that with an autoloader. Not so easy with an all steel 5 shot revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Don't beat yourself up over it, learn and go on with life. Imagine being a security sergeant working a 4 hour special assignment at a university frat party. That happened to me once. I had cleaned my duty weapon the day before and holstered it but forgot to load it. While getting ready for duty I just put the duty belt on with everything I thought I would need. I had a safe shift but when I got home and went to "unload" it, man was I surprised. Don't worry about what has been or could have been. Just be glad it didn't and remember it so it doesn't occur again. Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    This brings a smile to my face. The wife and I live in a rural area that is almost overun with raccons. They get in my bird feeders almost every night and empty them. Back last summer I got up for my 2A.M. trip to the bathroom and heard a noise outside--it was a ^&*( coon in my bird feeder on the deck. I thought to myself-"I'm gonig to shoot your sorry azz right off that feeder. Slipped down the hallway with an ancient topbreak H&R 22 revolver that I keep just for such an occasion. Crept outside and got right up next to the hungry coon. Raised the pistol to within 6 inches of his head, thumbed the hammer back and wished the coon a safe trip to his dirt nap.---SNAP-- no bullets in the gun!!!! I had unloaded it because the grandchildren had been to visit a few days before and forgot to reload when they left.AARRRRRGH !

Got him the next night tho.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Oops.

One thing I maintain is two physically-distinct spots for dealing with the firearms. First, is the cleaning zone. Second is the ammo zone. I try never holster the carry gun without checking the magazine to ensure it's loaded. After cleaning, or at any time, the re-holstering routine is: eject the magazine; rack the gun; load a fresh magazine; rack the gun; holster the gun. This overall routine of cleaning, loading and holstering has, so far, saved me from loading up empty. May it always be so.
    Nine, that is an excellent idea which I will employ tomorrow! Reading these posts sends a shiver up me and that's good!

My tale is a little different. My son and I work together and at the time we were carrying the same model of firearm, (m&p9c), well he carries no round in the chamber, I carry locked and loaded. We went into a school and had to disarm and place them in our safe in the truck. At the end of the job we left the site and "rearmed". He handed me my gun and I placed it in the holster without looking. That was Tuesday, on Saturday I had to meet a guy wanting to buy a gun from me and he (my son) rode "shotgun" with me. we pulled off the interstate and the parking lot was right there so he pulls his firearm and racks the slide to chamber a round and puts it back into his holster. What I saw gave me chills because I "saw" a round hit the floor when he did this and was going to give him a lesson on knowing how his gun was carried and ho important it was. Well the transaction went off without a hitch and we drove home.

Once at home I did my weekly cleaning and dropped my mag, and racked the slide and no round I thought "omg, I'm carrying a gun with no ammo" if the crap had hit the fan I'd have been screwed.

Anyway then it hit me that his had a round in the chamber before he racked the slide. Jumped up and grabbed my receipt and sure enough the SN's did not match. He had swapped guns with me.

Got my gun back right then and had a long talk with him about if he was "delivering" my gun he better make sure it was mine he was giving me.

NDS
    Quote Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
    Got my gun back right then and had a long talk with him about if he was "delivering" my gun he better make sure it was mine he was giving me.
    I check my pistol periodically to verify it is in the condition I think it is. I'd have pulled the magazine, looked to see it was fully loaded, and then checked the chamber before I holstered. It's a habit that I've made myself learn.

That is a good story to remember. Like others I thought it was going to be one of those accidental discharge stories (a fear which is always constantly on my mind).

This happened to us in Vietnam when we discovered that our 175mm gun (range 21 miles) would not fire. After clearing all of the crew to open the breach to check the reason for the misfire and being fearful of a flash, it discovered that no powder had been loaded. Embarrassing to say the least.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
    My tale is a little different. My son and I work together and at the time we were carrying the same model of firearm, (m&p9c), well he carries no round in the chamber, I carry locked and loaded. We went into a school and had to disarm and place them in our safe in the truck. At the end of the job we left the site and "rearmed". He handed me my gun and I placed it in the holster without looking. That was Tuesday, on Saturday I had to meet a guy wanting to buy a gun from me and he (my son) rode "shotgun" with me. we pulled off the interstate and the parking lot was right there so he pulls his firearm and racks the slide to chamber a round and puts it back into his holster. What I saw gave me chills because I "saw" a round hit the floor when he did this and was going to give him a lesson on knowing how his gun was carried and ho important it was. Well the transaction went off without a hitch and we drove home.

Once at home I did my weekly cleaning and dropped my mag, and racked the slide and no round I thought "omg, I'm carrying a gun with no ammo" if the crap had hit the fan I'd have been screwed.

Anyway then it hit me that his had a round in the chamber before he racked the slide. Jumped up and grabbed my receipt and sure enough the SN's did not match. He had swapped guns with me.

I knew by the end of the fifth line what the end of this story was going to be.
    I guess now you might be checking your chamber status each time you holster your pistol, no?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I've left my extra mags at home; but, gun gets checked when I walk out the door. Wife carries also.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Hey, at least it wasn't another "I had an unintentional discharge" thread.

It's kinda funny though. I can't imagine why you had the firearm completley assembled and didn't notice a weight differential from loaded to unloaded. I can pick up any one of pistols and withsout removing the mag or clearing the weapon I can tell you if it's loaded or not just from the weight of the firearm. Of course I consider every pistol loaded until I confirm otherwise.

On a rather humorus note I can add a story that is rather funny. One of my neighbors decided to purchase and automatic handgun, his first. He was a revolver guy up until at which time he decided to purchase and .45 ACP XD Springfield Armory. He had read the manual over and over and over. He had disasembled the weapon over and over and over till he new his XD inside and out. He had told me that he liked the idea of having a chamber indicator on the back of the slide. He would move his thumb up over the indicator and therefore the tactile feel of the indicator pin told him "chambered" or "unchambered" He is an engineer and he was amazed at this small but seemingly ingenious charachteristic to the weapon. He told me several times that he had wished he had gone to a semi auto handgun years ago.

I had told him to purchase dummy rounds or use empty shell casings to utilize several dry firing exercises that I shared with him in casual conversation. He decided after reading one of Larry Vickers articles that dry firing was a necessary practice routine and that it was the most over looked use of practice in the steep incline to pistol proficiency and was a great subsitute for lack of ammunition and range availability.

He used the dummy rounds apparently all the time. Often dry firing with the muzzle pointed to the brick wall of his fireplace with a B-27 Target taped over the stoke. Suddenly I get this call at 0230 am and it's him, he's gasping for air, cannot get a sentence out of his mouth to save his life and after he finally got calmed down he said "I shot the fireplace mantle" In my stuper I said "you shot the firemen from your mantle?" LOL.

Yep he had loaed the XD with hollow points after dry firing the weapon several hundred times. He woke up and took the pistol in his hands and stood 5 feet from the mantle of his fireplace and thought he was dry firing the weapon and "BOOM" "shabang" The hollow point actually crushed on impact and bounced back onto the top of his foot. He said it was about as light as dropping a slug from your waiste to the top of your foot.

He forgot his own rule. Swipe the back of the slide to see if it's loaded and then remove the mag and clear the chambered round. Of course he forgot to treat the weapon as if it's was loaded with live ammunition in the first place.

I'm betting he won't ever depress that trigger again without clearing the weapon first or pulling the slide back to inspect for live round even if his chamber indicator tells him so.

I'm also betting that you won't ever leave the house again without removing the mag and clearing the weapon and reloading to ensure your hot and ready for bad guys.

Nobody else asked so I will, Did he hit what he was aiming for?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links