Can someone recommend a .22?

This is a discussion on Can someone recommend a .22? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know nothing about target or competitive shooting, but it's something I want to get into. What's a good .22 semi-auto that has a long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend a .22?

Can someone recommend a .22?

I know nothing about target or competitive shooting, but it's something I want to get into. What's a good .22 semi-auto that has a long lifespan, popular in competitions and available for $500 or less?

The only hand gun I currently have is my carry .38 snubby, but I'm so pathetically poor I can't afford to buy .38 practice rounds to practice as frequently as I would like to!

EDIT: I'm looking for a .22 pistol to help hone my handgun skills. I saw a couple of guys practicing at the range with one, it looked like a nice and cheap way to practice.
    Last edited by credy; November 17th, 2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: incomplete post

2. Remove Ads

Do they use semi-autos in competition? I though they used single-shot or bolt action jobbies. Marlin makes a fantastic rifle and the ruger 10-22 is uber-popular. Don't know that they are used in competition without being worked on, but they will both last a real long time.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Do they use semi-autos in competition? I though they used single-shot or bolt action jobbies. Marlin makes a fantastic rifle and the ruger 10-22 is uber-popular. Don't know that they are used in competition without being worked on, but they will both last a real long time.
    Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a pistol. That's an important detail I forgot!

I saw a couple of guys shooting at competition looking targets at the range last week, and I thought it looked like a nice and cheap way to hone pistol marksmanship.

Assistant Administrator
    I use a Ruger 22/45 for pin shooting and in fact it would probably do OK for bullseye too. I favor this over the MkII or MkIII Rugers due to controls and angle of grip.

One of these will not break the bank at all - but if you were to find used a good Hi-Standard or Walther GSP then you'd have something even better for compo's - but these fetch good money.

Here is my 22/45 .......

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've got a marlin 7000 (semi-auto rifle). It was stacked from the factory. It's a polymer stock with an 18" heavy target barrel. It's dead on accurate(definitely a tack driver) and I've never had any problems with it the last 9 or so years I've had it. Weight-wise, I think it's around 5 lbs or so empty(still feels lighter than the last 10/22 I used). Oh and it doesn't come with irons. It's ready to accept scope rings though(i've got a little red-dot scope on mine).

edit: Scratch that...just read your post about looking for a pistol! Ugh...if only I read ALL the posts....
    Last edited by packinnova; November 17th, 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: wwhoops
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've got a High Standard Supermattic Citation and it's a fine shooter. It has an adjustable trigger that I've got set for a very crisp clean 2 lbs. I originally purchased it for my wife to shoot NRA small bore Silhouette but she didn't take to it. I never got rid of it though because it is so much fun to shoot. I don't know what they are going for now and I've heard someone else is making them. If they are the same quality you can't go wrong.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Browning Buckmark

The Browning Buckmark .22 comes in several configurations and has a great reputation. Here is a target version with a heavy barrel and adjustable sights. This has an MSRP of $521, so I presume the street price is $400 or so.

Browning Buckmark web page

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a pistol. That's an important detail I forgot!

I saw a couple of guys shooting at competition looking targets at the range last week, and I thought it looked like a nice and cheap way to hone pistol marksmanship.

Ahhh. I know even less about .22 pistols, but these guys do. I'll listen too,since I've thought the same thing.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Browning Buckmark, Ruger and, Thompson Center, all make very good and very accrate .22 pistols . Another place to explore is your local NRA .22 small bore hunter pistol compititions as thats all they shoot there.
    Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    All the above are great 22 pistols.I am partial to the rugers as I own one.

Ruger Mk2 (avoid the Mk3).

Kick butt accurate. I used to shoot it in matches but cant find a league in my new homestate. 50', 1-handed. Best I did with it was 4 rounds through one ragged hole .....

Browning and Hi Standard are hard to beat.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Buckmark or Ruger...I like em both,but I lean toward Buckmark...

1943 - 2009
    As mentioned by others, the Browning, Ruger and High Standard pistols are excellent choices.

If you're willing to fork out the bucks, consider the S&W Model 41.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    Ditto The S&W Model 41 - AMAZING Pistol - X-tra Magazines are expensive though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links