Shotgun Gift

This is a discussion on Shotgun Gift within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I have searched this website for at least the past hour and have been looking online to find my answer, with no luck. Or ...

Thread: Shotgun Gift

Shotgun Gift

Hello, I have searched this website for at least the past hour and have been looking online to find my answer, with no luck. Or I just suck at searching

To make this short I just bought a shotgun in Texas, although it is Christmas soon and well my friend also wanted a shotgun. He's always strapped for cash living with his working GF though.

So we all went shotgun hunting and he reluctantly decided not to buy one.

So I want to give him this one. Now I don't want ANY compensation, I just want this to be a Christmas gift. Although I cannot find any information as to what I need to do, if I need to call anyone to fix who it is registered too or anything like that? He lives 15 minutes away from me, within state and city and county lines.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Wrap it up, put a nice bow on it, and give it to him.

I dont think there is any registration in TX.
    Just to be sure, I would write up something that says that you gave it to him as a gift on this date, this make model and serial number. That way if he ever offs anyone with it, or it gets stolen you have a paper trail.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Awesome thanks :)

Now thats a good friend

M2
    As long as he is legal to own a gun (e.g. would pass an FBI National Instant Check System check for firearm transactions), then there isn't a problem...I would call a gun shop or check out the Texas Gun Owner's Guide by Alan Korwin to be 100% sure beforehand...

Cheers! M2

There is no registration in Texas. I've sold / traded multiple firearms privately.

Just be sure he can legally own a gun. (not a felon, not an immigrant, not a druggie, not crazy, ect....)

One thing that is illegal is to buy a gun for someone else. So if you bought this shotgun with the intention to give it to him, then you would be committing a crime as far as I know
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Concur with the above. If you know for a fact that he can legally own a gun, wrap it, and give it to him.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    One thing that is illegal is to buy a gun for someone else. So if you bought this shotgun with the intention to give it to him, then you would be committing a crime as far as I know
    Either I misunderstood you, or you've mistaken something you've read; as I am pretty sure it is not illegal to buy someone a gun as a gift, as long as the recipient would be legally able to buy the weapon himself.

As I said earlier, your best bet would be to contact a local gun shop; they will know what the laws are!

Cheers! M2

According to the ATF it is perfectly all right for you to gift him the shotgun, if he is legal to own one of course. It gets to be a straw purchase if he gives you money to buy one for him. Even if he is legal to purchase one. Some might disagree and post the law to prove me wrong but that is what the ATF believes and goes by. But, that isn't the case here.

I have gifted my youngest son with more than one gun I purchased. Never an issue, and had discussed it with the dealer before I bought the first one.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Links