New 1911 shooting left

This is a discussion on New 1911 shooting left within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I brought my new SA milspec to the range yesterday and all my shots where hitting about 3-4" inches to the left. I asked the ...

Thread: New 1911 shooting left

New 1911 shooting left

I brought my new SA milspec to the range yesterday and all my shots where hitting about 3-4" inches to the left. I asked the range master(who claims to be a LEO firearms instructor) if he could shoot my pistol to see if it would shoot left for him too, and it did. I let him move the rear sight to the right with a brass punch and we both shot at the target and were dead on.

However, He had to move the rear sight over quite a bit and this makes me wonder if there actually is something wrong with it, plus it looks kind a bit goofy. Should I be concerned?, or should I just shut up and enjoy my new pistol?

Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 19th, 2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Edited language workaround

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Center that rear sight up again, break the pistol in, do a lot dry firing and I'll bet you a beer that it starts shootin straight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I'm assuming the front site looks about right when eyeballing it since you didn't mention it?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I'm assuming the front site looks about right when eyeballing it since you didn't mention it?
    Yeah the front sight looks centered prefectly.

Administrator
    Nope Sorry not for me. Not for one minute.
    Back in the box it would go - destination maker.
    I would not put up with a rear sight knocked over that far (in either direction) on a handgun.
    No way would I go for a rear sight actually protruding out of the dovetail like that.
    It's a serious psychological negative toward best and accurate shooting.
    Send it back and tell them to fix it even if they have to give you a whole new top end - which is what I'm betting they will end up doing.
    Your barrel alignment is off or your slide is mis-machined.
    Something sure ain't right.
    That is not what you paid hard earned money for.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Defiantly send it back
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its a new gun with a warranty , use it . Dont pay good bucks for a sub standard gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Just curious - How far away were you from your target when the gun was hitting 4" to the left?

I agree with the others about using the warranty but nobody mentioned the human factor hear ?! Which is usually the problem from the get go . Are you experienced with 1911 ? Are you over compensating for muzzle flip? Steel frame or alloy ? Alloy framed 1911 (SA) in my experience flip different than steel . I think you should put the rear sight back to center and break the gun in more . Try a blank target (no circle , no silloette , nothing) , check stance , hold or hand placement , lean into the gun , both eyes open , focus on target not sights , start w/ 1 shot then dbl tap then triple . I would try that before sending the gun in to loose it for the holidays and with holiday shutdowns you probally won't get it back til Jan ?! In my experience with SA's warranty they'll send it back and say it shot fine for them it must be human error .......not to mention the dirty loads they use and send the gun back absolutely filthy . Like I suggested try the human error corrections 1st . Who knows the so called instructor might have been doing the same thing as you or has never shot a 1911????? GOOD LUCK , 45MINK (INSTRUCTOR)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    I agree with the others about using the warranty but nobody mentioned the human factor hear ?!
    I did, just not directly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just curious - How far away were you from your target when the gun was hitting 4" to the left?
    I was shooting at 15 yards.

I have also discovered a new potential problem, I can actually move the rear sight out if i force it really, really hard with my thumb. Hopefully the recoil wont be able to move the sight.

Something doesn't sound right here. Even if we think it may be human factor related you can factor that out. Find someone at your local range with a benchrest. If it's still shooting that way benchrested I'd say send it back.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    "I have also discovered a new potential problem, I can actually move the rear sight out if i force it really, really hard with my thumb. Hopefully the recoil wont be able to move the sight."

If you can move your rear sight with your thumb then it IS (guaranteed) going to end up flying off of your firearm.
    You should barely be able to move it with a medium size hammer and a brass drift punch. Just FYI.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    I brought my new SA milspec to the range yesterday and all my shots where hitting about 3-4" inches to the left. I asked the range master(who claims to be a LEO firearms instructor) if he could shoot my pistol to see if it would shoot left for him too, and it did. I let him move the rear sight to the right with a brass punch and we both shot at the target and were dead on.

However, He had to move the rear sight over quite a bit and this makes me wonder if there actually is something wrong with it, plus it looks kind a bit goofy. Should I be concerned?, or should I just shut up and enjoy my new pistol?

Not trying to insult you but 99% of shooting problems are due to operator error.

Have you benched the gun and shot it?

If your right handed shooter most erros will cause you to hit off and to the left.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you can move your rear sight with your thumb then it IS (guaranteed) going to end up flying off of your firearm.
    You should barely be able to move it with a medium size hammer and a brass drift punch. Just FYI.
    Would you suggest loctite then? I don't want to send it back to SA just yet. I am going to drift the sight just slightly to the right, put some loctite in there, shoot a few hundred rounds and see if it will work for me.

Edit: I called SA and just decided to send it to them, but damn is it going to be a hard wait for the pistol to return. I also asked them to check out the shooting left problem I was having.

Links