Gun Owners Need to Remember the 4 Rules

This is a discussion on Gun Owners Need to Remember the 4 Rules within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the gun show in Lexington this morning to stock up on reloading stuff. Also picked up a pretty nice ALICE pack for ...

Thread: Gun Owners Need to Remember the 4 Rules

Exclamation Gun Owners Need to Remember the 4 Rules

I went to the gun show in Lexington this morning to stock up on reloading stuff. Also picked up a pretty nice ALICE pack for my SHTF stuff.

Anyways, in an hour, I was flagged about 54 times and I counted 19 fingers on the trigger walking around with no regard to where their muzzle was. I hurried and got what I wanted and left. It looked like an accident waiting to happen. I hope nothing bad happens, but I fear it's just a matter of time.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I went to the gun show in Lexington this morning to stock up on reloading stuff. Also picked up a pretty nice ALICE pack for my SHTF stuff.

Anyways, in an hour, I was flagged about 54 times and I counted 19 fingers on the trigger walking around with no regard to where their muzzle was. I hurried and got what I wanted and left. It looked like an accident waiting to happen. I hope nothing bad happens, but I fear it's just a matter of time.
    Maybe that is one reason some gun shops will not allow loaded guns in their place of business, even by CCW people.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

1943 - 2009
    It's a fact of life that isn't going to change. This behavior occurs at every gun show, to a greater or lesser degree.

All you can do is be alert to your surroundings and do your best to avoid the idiots.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yup. There was an ND at a Houston Gun show a few months back. Well covered on this forum if I recall.

Aha. Here it is

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=26466
    Last edited by Fragman; November 24th, 2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Add link

It's kinda hard to handle and get the feel for a gun at a gun show without covering somebody unless you're pointing at the ceiling or the floor. All of the guns shows I've ever been to were all asses and elbows. Fingers on triggers is another matter. Responsible people will check the chamber after the merchant has done the same and keep their finger off the trigger.

Some good advice

Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    It's kinda hard to handle and get the feel for a gun at a gun show without covering somebody unless you're pointing at the ceiling or the floor. All of the guns shows I've ever been to were all asses and elbows. Fingers on triggers is another matter. Responsible people will check the chamber after the merchant has done the same and keep their finger off the trigger.
    I dunno, I think you can get a pretty good feel and check the sights by aiming at the floor. Slight angle. It's what I do in gun stores when I'm looking at a handgun/rifle. Maybe I'm too anal about it sometimes, but its just really hard for me to flag another person. I guess the beating my dad gave me when I was little and flagged him with my .410 really stuck with me.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Heading to a local gun show this weekend. Will keep count of fingers/triggers, and how often someone gets flagged. If it's me, the flag count will only be 1.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    The guns I see are usually wire tied or on a cable so you know they are not loaded. The vendors check them too before giving them over for your inspection. I suppose it can happen but I have never seen someone pull their loaded carry gun and show it around at a gun show. If 50 million, (I'm making up this number), people go to a gun show each year and there are one or two ND's why are we punishing all carry permit holders? Isn't that what the anti's do when they want the police to be able to decide who gets a permit because they are the only ones experienced enough to decide? Someone may kill someone accidentally so nobody gets to have a gun. I fully agree we all need to be responsible and obey the rules as best we can and I don't want to be on the receiving end of a ND that is for sure. I just don't worry a lot about it at a gun show or gun shop. I pay attention to who is doing what but I just don't get too crazy about it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I've seen it at Gander Mt. lately. Use the area behind the counter, not the showroom.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links