My AR15 build w/Range Report

This is a discussion on My AR15 build w/Range Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is my run of the mill 20" AR15. colt a3 upper w/carry handle colt bolt and bc assembly colt barrel cmmg lower basic a2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My AR15 build w/Range Report

Here is my run of the mill 20" AR15.
    colt a3 upper w/carry handle
    colt bolt and bc assembly
    colt barrel
    cmmg lower
    basic a2 stock
    dpms lpk
    green follower mags

cost = $519

Shooting with iron sights. Ammo was Winchester 5.56 white box. Range 100 yards.

Lead Moderator
    Nice gun and group too. Enjoy your new gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks, Rocky.

I just had to jerk the trigger that one time. ARGH!

Lead Moderator
    Those 20" AR's are nice , someday I will get one to go with my M4 knock off.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Nice... I'm not sure how you pulled it off for $519... but very nice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nice... I'm not sure how you pulled it off for $519... but very nice.
    Well... A lot of time reading forums, and being nice to the local gun shop. ;)

I purchased the Lower Receiver via CMMG, and the stock from a forum member on another board. The Colt Upper came with bolt, bc, handle from the local shop. The LPK is a DPMS, and was only $47. It took time, and patients waiting for the right part for the right price. I didn't just go out and buy it.

Of course I wanted the latest and greatest, but the money wasn't there. I really wanted a rifle that had a little pop to it (meaning bigger than a .22 LR, a centerfire rifle). I settled for parts that were in good shape when I had a little cash to spend. Even thought it might not be exactly what you want, you can get a good rifle out if.

So far, I am pleased with my rifle. It has name brand parts, and did not cost an arm and a leg. It doesn't have a scope, and is not going to have a scope. The sights work well. Plus how can I just set it down anywhere if it has a scope on it. It is more versatile without one.

The only thing that was new was the Lower Receiver and LPK.
    It is however new to me. It shoots good, and is not a safe queen (as they say). It is going to be a gun that gets used, and goes with me to the range, hunting, and everywhere I can take it, or have a need for it.
    What I mean is that I am not going to baby this gun. I am not going to abuse it either, but I am not going to treat it like it is a Browning 30-06....LoL

Administrator
    My hats off to you, you pulled off a tough thing to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Without the EO Tech scope, it looks just like mine...only your is $300 cheaper...NIIIIIIIICE!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Good job. The only thing I can see wrong with it is that the barrel isnt threaded.

Its hard to find someone that even does it for less than 100 bucks and a long wait...other than me.

You need to put a sling on it. You can get them at the gunshow in the Hall of Industry on the Little Rock Failrgrounds when they have them there for 3.00.

That is an exellent group with iron sights. I cant even see a 1"block at 100 yards, I just have to know where it is and shoot at it.

Did you have any problems building it?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OD*
    Very nice indeed!
    Congratulations.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

no problems building it.
    I did get a sling, but bought the wrong one. i got a weird sling that was made to go around you, and only connected to the gun on one ring. I guess someone put it in the wrong spot in the store, or I just grabbed the wrong one....?

Yeah. It is not threaded, but like I said, I could not pass up for the money I had to spend. Can this be threaded?

And that square is really, really small. I was just shooting where it should have been. I could see it, but the front post just completely covered it. I shot really, really, really slow. That target took me about 2 hours to shoot. At least it felt like it. Plus it was so cold today. I could not feel my hands. That is probably why I shot so good. I could not feel anything. Not even the trigger. So I was squeezing, trying to feel the trigger, and then... BANG! I never knew when the gun went off the entire day. Except that one stray.. ARGH!!

:EDIT by Original Poster: Comment was not needed :EDIT by Original Poster:

Someone on another board said... "It's very Colt"
    That was their only comment. It does remind me of just your basic A2 AR15. Well that is what it is. :) I am not ashamed of that, but it sounded like they said it as a bad thing. Oh well.

nice gun and the price is also great. it is a good feeling when you build your own gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Moderator
    Yes it can be threaded, I do quite a bit of them. You just take the barrel off, machine the o.d, and thread it. Of course this is done in a lathe to ensure that the threads are concentric with the bore.

That wierd sling you have is a tactical sling. It is made to let your gun hang at your side for quick use. Not very practical unless you are SWAT or in Iraq on patrol,then it is very handy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Nice build. Feels great when you do it yourself. I built mine also, Noveske lower, Rock River upper, lpk etc. Mine is a 16" with BUIS. It shoots great, and runs good also, no jams etc(yet). Grats again!

SY

I would like to have a flash hider on it, but I don't really want to take it apart.

I know it isn't a big deal, but why fix something that isn't broken? I have to tell myself that a lot. I come from that age of latest and greatest. I have a serious retail therapy problem. That is why I made myself get some things that would do just what they needed to do.

This gun i kinda like the end of a road, and the beginning of another for me. I have to see the good in it because it is all I got. I can't get another right now, and I can't put the add-ons on the rifle.
    I wanna keep it a plain "Jane", and love it for what it is. "Plain Jane" this is what I have dubbed the rifle. Its lack of, and simplicity turns me onto it. It looks broke without the flash hider, but shoots like a champ. Yup. Jeremy and his mid '90's A2 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links