Becoming an FFL dealer

This is a discussion on Becoming an FFL dealer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been into guns for the past couple years, and I've never been so passionate about anything in my entire life. I'm still young (22 ...

Thread: Becoming an FFL dealer

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Becoming an FFL dealer

I've been into guns for the past couple years, and I've never been so passionate about anything in my entire life. I'm still young (22 years old), so I got a good life ahead of me. I've been sort of tossing around the idea of becoming a licensed gun dealer myself. I know there's a kit you can buy online that will give you all the rules, regulations, and necessary forms to become a dealer, and I was thinking about getting it. I'm not sure if it's legal to for an FFL holder to conduct business from home. So I was wondering if someone or some of you on this forum can put me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can conduct business from your home provided your location will allow it in the area in which you live. You must demonstrate that you have a zoning variance or whatever your location provides that allow a business to exist in a residence.

The ATF has a section of its website that gives licensing info. Federal Firearms Licensing Center
    There is also a packet that ATF will send to you with all the forms necessary to apply for the FFL. ATF Distribution Center Order Form. Fill out your information. Then click F 7 (5310.12) - Application for License Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms and in the yellow box click ADD. Then fill in Quantity as 1 and click submit. It usually takes about a week for the request to be filled.

I have looked at some of the kits that are sold online and they don't really give you any more info than you can get from the Licensing Center. They also aren't updated very often. I looked at on in 2006 that still showed that Assault Weapons Ban as in effect even though it had expired in 2004. I think the kits are a waste of money.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I think dr_cmg summed it up. You need a place of business, so you have to be able to use your home as business premises. Often, zoning prevents that.

Headaches suck

More bullspitookey than it is worth. The problem with the Ffl is the capital 'eff'. Federal. You're opening a door to agreeing to let the government cram a flashlight in your rectum every three years. It doesn't matter if you're OK with that...they'll find a way to make it painful.

Better off just paying your local dealer the $15 each deal and making money doing stunt shooting.

HAW!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Althoooogh, in Alaska, it could be worthwhile. Personally, unless you are extremely anal in record keeping, and have no problem with every firearm you own being logged with the ATF and subject to disposition-audit, I wouldn't.

VIP Member
    Let me correct one misunderstanding about having an FFL. Personal firearms do not come within the purview of ATF checks. What is a personal firearm. According to ATF it is a firearm that is transferred to the owner's personal collection from the business. There is one restriction. That is the firearm must be retained in the personal collection for one year before it can be sold by the owner without if first having to go back into inventory. This one year requirement was actually defined in 2005. Prior to that there was a rule of thumb, but since it was not spelled out there was some question. To me the one year requirement is sensible. It prevents unscrupulous dealers from transferring a firearm to his personal collection and then turning around and selling it immediately so that the buyer does not have to go through a background check.

I have sold several items that were in my personal collection before I got the FFL and no paperwork was done. I sold one that was transferred to my personal collection after I got the FFL. I transferred it back into inventory and had the purchaser do a 4473.

One other thing, that I would like to mention. One of the requirements to get the FFL is to really be in business. There are a couple of specific questions on the app that address this. One of them asks if you are getting the FFL to make a profit. If the answer is no you will not get the FFL. So if you are trying to get one just to buy guns for yourself and avoid filling out the 4473 and the NICS check don't bother. I will make money as an FFL, but it will not add appreciably to my income. My reason for getting the FFL was very clearly provided for ATF prior to my getting the FFL. I freely admitted that making money was not my primary reason for getting the FFL, but neither was it to build my collection. I live in a very small town in West Central Alabama. It is 30 miles to the next nearest FFL and 50 miles to a gun store. As a community service I can order guns and transfer guns while making a small profit. By doing this I can save the people of my community a lot of time and money. The time they can enjoy and the money can go toward buying another gun that I can either sell to them or transfer for them. It's a win-win situation. If it had been a 10 or 15 minute drive to another FFL I would have never even considered getting one.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Let me correct one misunderstanding about having an FFL. Personal firearms do not come within the purview of ATF checks.
    You are correct, however, a "home business" will have more burden of proof than a store front; and the burden of proof is on the FFL. A friend in Wichita (now moved) went through 2 months refuting "questions" in an audit. He lost 15 pounds; not bad considering he was contemplating some major fines, if found in error.

Good (correct) records will keep you out of jail, but the ATFE is as much a discretionary agency as the IRS or FDA, if the investigator says you're wrong, you've got some sleepless nights ahead... many investigators are just doing a job, some are real nazis- you never know.

As doc says, though, it may be worth your while, in Alaska, since things are a bit different than in most of "suburbia"- little bit of income, and some decent deals for personal stuff.

Alaska should not be a problem on your property.

Best to have your business in a different un-attached building than in the building where you live.

Two FFL's here in NM built a shed "X" feet from there main house so the BATFE couldnt search their primary residences. If I remember correctly you have to have certain building requirements where you actually conduct the business (Security?)
    I couldnt go through the process and deal with the paperwork but if you can more power to you. Hope things go well.

Don't waste your money on the packet. Everything you need is free from the ATF. I have a couple of friends that are dealers, it can be a pain in the a** dealing depending on your area.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links