Mail a pistol?

Mail a pistol?

This is a discussion on Mail a pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I called the post office this morning asking what the regulation was for mailing a pistol. Only a licensed gun dealer can mail a pistol ...

Thread: Mail a pistol?

Mail a pistol?

I called the post office this morning asking what the regulation was for mailing a pistol. Only a licensed gun dealer can mail a pistol thru the US Mail..a citizen can mail a rifle, but not a pistol (it don't sound right to me but thats what the local post master told me)

I had heard that Fed-Ex will require that the pistol be taken apart.

I had also heard that UPS has a surcharge of either $40-$50 for fire arms. I will call and confirm that here in a few.

Do any of you out there have any experience in send off a gun to a dealer in another state? Have any advice?

JD
    Administrator
    The easist way I've found is to have a local FFL ship it US mail, it costs about $25 and there is no hassle about taking it apart and finding either a UPS or FEDEX office that will take firearms.

Also, the info on only a FFL mailing a handgun through US mail is corect. There's a differnet set if rules for C&R stuff, but I've never dealt with that.

If you are sending the pistol to the manufacturer or a gunsmith you can use UPS or FedEx and they can mail it back to you. You can't mail a gun to a non licenced person.
    I have sent a gun to Springfield and mailed a Cetme to a FFL when I sold it to a member on the forum. I checked with the ATF and everything was perfectly legal. FYI the carrier will not leave the gun without your signature.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

The base price at UPS is abt $80 and the gun has to go over night air and a dealer has to send it. The info above abt sending a gun to the Mfg or gunsmith is correct, a citizen can not send it to another dealer, only another dealer can. Looks like I am going to go thru a dealer here and the USPO.

Try FedEx. Where are you sending the pistol? Did you sell it to someone or are you trying to get it fixed? You can mail a rifle to an FFL yourself ,inside your own state, but not a pistol.

My brother and I are trading pistols (out of state for both of us) and we are trying to figure out how we are going to do this. We know a dealer will be on the recieving ends and thats not a problem. Just trying to figure a way and save a little money, doesn't look like thats gonna work tho..so now it looks like this is going to go thru dealers all around...oh well

The Post Office is correct. Use Fed Ex.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Yep, youre going to have to get an FFL holder to ship it FedEx for you.
    Still cheaper than fuel I bet.

I shipped my ppk/s to be refinished yesterday. I used Fed Ex, but it did cost an arm and a leg. I was told that you do not need an ffl for repairs and restoration work. I am not sure about sending to a dealer. I just had do declard what was in the case and ship it priority overnight. I did not have to take it appart. 20 hours and sixty dollars one way later it arrived at the shop. I hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I had heard that Fed-Ex will require that the pistol be taken apart.

Do any of you out there have any experience in send off a gun to a dealer in another state? Have any advice?
    I've never heard of Fedex requiring that and they did not require it of me when I sent a pistol out of state.

First off, get in touch of the FFL you will be sending the pistol to. Confirm that he will accept from a non-FFL(you). Even though it is perfectly legal for a non-FFL to ship a pistol overnight through a 'contract carrier' to a FFL in or out of state, some FFL's prefer not to accept from a non-FFL. That's their perogative. Ask them to send you a copy of their FFL and contact info.
    Second, take the packaged pistol to a staffed Fedex facility an inform them you would like to ship a pistol (overnight) to a FFL. Make sure the pistol is not loaded. They will need a copy of the FFL it is being sent to and contact information. You are required to inform them that it is a pistol being shipped. They are restricted from labeling on the outside of the package that it is a pistol inside.
    It cost me $50.00 to ship from Florida to Texas.
    or
    If you know of an FFL that you trust that will send it for you, have him do it.

*Below is a link to the BATF Guidelines. About halfway down the page it addresses 'Shipping Firearms'.
    http://www.fega.com/members/batf.html

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Yep, youre going to have to get an FFL holder to ship it FedEx for you.
    Wrong.

link:
    http://www.fega.com/members/batf.html

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Go to www.fedex.com and read their policy regarding the shipment of handguns. You do not need to be an FFL to ship with FedEx. It will have to be shipped overnight for morning delivery which is the most expensive way and it must be going to someone who is legally licensed to receive it if it's not going to the manufacturer. I have shipped FedEx several times out of the FedEx facility at the Buffalo, N.Y. Airport without any problem. I always declare it's an unloaded firearm and it's been taken apart. I also buy insurance and I keep a copy of their corporate policy in the car in case I ever run into a twit at the counter.

You can't send a pistol by US Mail, BUT any FFL can. The cheapest way ii to take your pistol to a local FFL and have them ship it by US priority mail. UPS is a rip off, they insist on their EXPENSIVE overnight delivery to avoid giving more opportunity for theft while in their system and to GET MORE $$.
    Last edited by sass20485; November 28th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

Links