Grip It Till You Tremble!

This is a discussion on Grip It Till You Tremble! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New 1911 owners/shooters: You may or may not be aware that NOT gripping your 1911 pistol tight enough can cause sporadic function related problems. Too ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip It Till You Tremble!

Administrator

Grip It Till You Tremble!

New 1911 owners/shooters:
    You may or may not be aware that NOT gripping your 1911 pistol tight enough can cause sporadic function related problems.
    Too weak of a grip can also cause you not to hit/group as tight as you should especially when shooting rapid fire.

SO...How DO you KNOW when you're holding your pistol tight enough in your gun hand?
    Here is an old secret tip that I learned mucho many moons ago.
    Shhhhh.....Don't tell everybody...OK?

Grip your pistol in your gun hand & then slowly tighten your grip....tighten it some more...tighten your hand/grip EVEN MORE...progressively tighten your grip until the muscles in your hand and fingers actually begin to tremble.

Now slowly LOOSEN your grip until your hand STOPS trembling.

REMEMBER exactly how tight that is.
    That is how tight you should be holding your 1911 pistol with your gun hand for real world self~defensive shooting.

Then...however you you want to position your weak or support hand is personal preference and that up to you.

Also...do hand, finger, wrist & grip exercises ~ you'll be glad that you started doing them because your shooting (in general) will always improve. Guaranteed it really will.
    Stay Safe. Have fun shooting.

2. Remove Ads

Good Tip Qk

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I'll try that; however, I use a 60/40 grip technique with 60% of the strength of the grip coming from the support hand. This allows for the shooting hand to be more relaxed, which allows for smoother trigger control.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    QKShooter, I am in complete agreemant with your post. I have been told by instructors that my grip on my weapon is the tightest that they have ever seen in a student. This is probably due to the frequency that I shoot "Hand Cannons". (I always keep my wrist locked also)----------

OD*
    The firm handshake technique works best for me with the 1911. Now for the earsplittenloudenboomers, I couldn't agree more.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Reason

I put this thread up because many newbie 1911 shooters are a bit lax in their grip & some also "serious limp wrist" ~
    That causes the pistol to "eat up" lost of slide energy that really is needed in order for the pistol to cycle properly.
    Especially...a N.I.B. pistol with factory fresh springs that is not "shot in" yet & they tend to blame the firearm & call it a lemon.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Extremely valid recommendation QK, one for newer shooters to take on board. This is especially true with small semi's - P3AT, and R9 very much so.

I tell my students - grip to ''white knuckle'' and just back off a bit. Same sorta deal really. Also helps when conditions allow - to manage full lock out on strong arm - everything of course geared to not ''soaking up'' recoil and thus wasting energy input into the actual cycling.

I always employ pretty much 60/40 with two hands but always add a smidgeon extra when finally locking thumbs - my avatar may show, forget without checking - but weak thumb ''X's'' over strong and makes for a great addition to whole grip and stability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe call this smilie the ''limp wrist smilie'' - - LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

you crack me up P95 the limp wrist smiley is to funny

I alway see the exact opposite. I see people with death grips on their guns so tight their hands are shaking all the time.

I think this is an important thing to remember now matter if you're a new plinker or an old gunny no matter what you're shooting.

VIP Member
    I can grip pretty tight, I just have to remember to keep my fingernails short, otherwise they'll painfully bite right down into my palm when I shoot. It can sure ruin a good range day. I've actually drawn blood that way before. But I suppose you guys don't have a problem with nails.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    I've actually drawn blood that way before. But I suppose you guys don't have a problem with nails.
    Haha - Betty - on whom have you drawn blood then eh - mrshonts? - he been ''blooded'' yet LOL!

Seriously - when I do NRA courses I do - or have - mentioned to one or two of our lady students that mega long nails may not be ideal for their grip - for this reason.

OTOH - just maybe long nails could be quite a useful weapon, in themselves!

<snarl - Grrr> - crappy big cat impression
    Chris - P95

Maybe I am different but I actually grip more (no where near white knuckle) with my weakhand than I do my strong hand (60/40). I also parallel the thumbs not cross them. This is with everything from factory .45 on down.

In the end I guess it is whatever gets the job done for you. My take has been that if your white knuckeld or near with your trigger finger hand that adversely impacts the trigger finger movement. In tandem with sight alignment trigger control is paramount to good shooting.

I have seen many folks try to eliminate recoil of a firearm through a gorrilla grip locked arms etc. etc. If you allow the gun to recoil and control it (rather than try to eliminate it) through grip and stance you can do much better job.

Oh well just my 2 cents worth.

Steven

Administrator

Thumbs up The Bottom Line

The bottom Line is that if you are an experienced shooter you'll figure out what works for you. As long as you are hitting accurately and QUICKLY for defensive shooting I'll not argue with you.
    Once saw a shooter in Linesville, PA that had no index finger at all on his gun hand due to a mill related incident & he gripped his pistol with that hand & pulled the trigger with the other. He was a decent shooter.

An additional note: You'll find that if you do finger strength work-outs with a medium Gripmaster...you'll be able to effect an extremely strong grip on your pistol without affecting your trigger finger motion & you'll come back on target much quicker as an added bonus.

NOT MY HAND...I do not have wimpy butter smooth hands.

There is also another identical appratus that is less expensive than the Gripmaster. Anybody remember the name of that one? It was posted on the forum before we changed servers...(I think)

Assistant Administrator
    There is also another identical appratus that is less expensive than the Gripmaster.
    - The ubiquitous tennis ball??
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Thumbs up Tennis Ball

That should work!
    Low Tech but, effective.
    GRIPMASTER HAS REINVENTED THE TENNIS BALL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links