Every so often things just go right! (Long)

This is a discussion on Every so often things just go right! (Long) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've been in the market the last few weeks for a new 1911. Something that would be a good shooter for fun at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every so often things just go right! (Long)

Every so often things just go right! (Long)

So I've been in the market the last few weeks for a new 1911. Something that would be a good shooter for fun at the range with less emphasis on carry. Got that end of the spectrum covered!

I had mentioned to a good friend who is a top IPSC shooter in the area to ask around the club if there were any good deals on single stacks. Hadn't heard much of anything so went to the local gunshow this weekend. I tore myself away from a beautiful nickel plated detective special. Original box and a near perfect finish for a fairly good price. Not what I was there to spend money for! Saw a NIB Les Baer but too rich for my wallet. Then I started agonizing over two STI's, a Trojan and a Lawman. I had just walked away to think up some good explanations to my wife on how great the pistols were when my friend calls me up.

"Still looking for a 1911?"

"Yeah, I think I'm going to pick up an STI"

"Would you be interested in a pre firing pin block Kimber?"

"Wellllll, I dunno. I think the STI might be a better shooter"

"Not this one, (name with held) tuned it and shot one match with it. I bought it and shot two matches with it. Never shot another single stack match again. It's been sitting in my safe for a few years and I got to thinking it might be a good one for you. It's one fine shooter and has about 1,000 rounds through it. I really would like to see you get a sweet gun I'll let you have it for (you don't want to know)"

"Wow, that's a good deal. Let me think about it."

So I agonize for the next few minutes between the two choices. Now these two shooters have been super friends. When things were looking rough with my wifes health and our finances I got free trigger jobs and action tunes. I got a "spare" reloading press and supplies. They just figured they'd help out a fellow shooter to keep him going in rough times. I also knew if this certain person had tuned the gun it would be sweet. Maybe better than that beautiful STI.

So I called back and said "Well, I might be interested. That's a pretty good price."

"Why don't you borrow it and shoot it a bit then decide. By the way, that's YOUR price. No body else gets that price."

So I go to the range last night wearing new glasses, upside down bifocals that I had set up for work and shooting. These things feel weird and are going to take so getting used to.

I send a target down 35 feet and try a few dry fires. Jeez with this setup I can see the front sight great but the target is a really fuzzy blur. Load up and here goes nothing.

The orange bullseye is 1". And there are 8 hits in that group, just a few in the same hole in the center.

It got better after that and on targets that were fuzzier than they used to be but that front sight sure was clear.

For those of you blessed with good eyesight just wait......middle age is coming!

So the upshot is I lucked into a darn fine Kimber Royal Classic that's hands down the smoothest actioned best triggered 1911 I've ever shot, for me anyways. Everyones different but I think everythings just sort of worked out in the right combination and this puppy is the right setup for me with middle aged eyes and a touch of arthritis and my little quirks as a shooter. The trigger is set at 2.5 lbs by the gauge so it's not really for carry and besides the blueing job is very good, why wear it down?

So I called him today and said he couldn't have it back. He also told me that if I hadn't decided to keep it he'd decided not to sell it 'cause it just flat shot so well for him too.

Wow, how did this happen to me?

It also came with six Wilson mags tuned for the gun. And the price? I ain't saying, I don't want to get banned.....

Good friends are rare, great friends are even rarer.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Looks good! (Love my 3 Kimbers..)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

lucky

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Congrats - on the friends I mean!! Oh by the way nice pistol!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Assistant Administrator
    Eric - sometimes some things are just ''meant to be'' - this has to be one of those

Judging by that target - this is indeed one sweet shooter - plus re your glasses - know what ..... if they force target to be fuzzy (as it should be) and sites look good - that's the way to go.

I use (right now) special glasses that let me get close to monitor . if I shoot with those it's amazing - sites are real clear and target fuzzy regardless. Trouble is I can't walk round all day with them!!

Lovely deal - and even if you did mention price - heck man, how could we ban you Just be 20 lashes
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That's a real nice looking Kimber you stole,,, I mean Bought.

That is a really nice grouping. Way to go on picking it up.

yea, yea, you don't want to tell anyone the price cause everyone will have the keyboard keys imprinted on their forhead. LOL.

VIP Member
    Congrats on a great looking piece of 1911 metal. Great shooting, too. Glad you got it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Judging by that target - this is indeed one sweet shooter - plus re your glasses - know what ..... if they force target to be fuzzy (as it should be) and sites look good - that's the way to go.
    Well, it was fuzzy before but now it's really really fuzzy. As in I hope that's the center of that target. At 60' things are even hazier. Maybe it's time for the ol' bullseye shooter pinhole attachment?

I protest against the entropy of age!!!!

Not that it's going to help.........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Good job!Congrats!

Is there a rule about posting a price???

You must be living right. Congrats on a fine weapon.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    Congrats. Great shooting with an obviously fine handgun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Congratulations.

Is that a Clackamas or Yonker's?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Congratulations.

Is that a Clackamas or Yonker's?
    It's a Yonkers.

Very nice find. Lucky to have such a friend.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links