Anyone used an adjustable diopter on glasses?

This is a discussion on Anyone used an adjustable diopter on glasses? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm gettin' older and my new glasses are not helping my sight picture at all! So I'm thinking of trying one of those stick on ...

Thread: Anyone used an adjustable diopter on glasses?

Anyone used an adjustable diopter on glasses?

I'm gettin' older and my new glasses are not helping my sight picture at all! So I'm thinking of trying one of those stick on adjustable irises for doing target shooting like the one made by Merit Gunsight Co. here:

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

Anyone have any experience with these? The working principle is sound I just wonder if they stay in place and are easy to use?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Eric .......... I got one ages ago and yes they do work, up to a point. The old ''pinhole camera'' principle is alive and well.

Thing is, I have found - I forget I have it and of course for real-world practice it ain't gonna be there to help!! It is good for bullseye shooting of course.

Finding the exact right spot to stick it on is a bit tedious and another reason maybe why I make less use of it than I might. So - yes they work, but I tend to think many folks might find same as me, plus despite me having your eye problem, I try to work around it as I know in a ''situation'' I would have to manage, even with no glasses at all if mine got bust.

Thus an ability to get better at point shooting is I think a must and deal with that blurred sight picture best ya can.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I still do plenty of real world work but I was interested in this for when I settle down for some pure bullseye shooting and would be using it for just that. I agree with needing to improve the point shooting but there's just something I've always enjoyed about plugging bulls eyes fer sport!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    If bullseye Eric then yes - you'd find it useful - once that is you find the ''sweet spot'' to stick it on the glasses.

Shooting in good light works best because you can close the iris down further.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey, Eric. Are you a candidate for Lasik? That could eliminate the need for another external lens.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I'm still just a little paranoid of Lasik. A friends mom works the back office for a major firm doing them and still wears glasses. She's sees what happens to the few that don't go well. I'm no gambler with my eyes. Not yet anyway!!!!

I use a merit for open site silhouette, and it works quite well. The merit pivots, and the iris is adjustable, so finding the sweet spot is easy. Or, you can take a piece of tin, drill a 1/16" hole in it and hook it over your shooting glasses. One of our best senior shooters (82 years young) did that years ago, and still uses that little piece of tin!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I use a merit for open site silhouette, and it works quite well. The merit pivots, and the iris is adjustable, so finding the sweet spot is easy. Or, you can take a piece of tin, drill a 1/16" hole in it and hook it over your shooting glasses. One of our best senior shooters (82 years young) did that years ago, and still uses that little piece of tin!
    +1 on the Merit, as I have tried Swifty's and they do work. The hole in the tin also works if you want to experiment with different hole sizes.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Links