Defensive Carry banner

1911 Ambi safety problem

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Supertac45 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble installing an ambidextrous safety on my Kimber UCII. I started with a Wilson Combat safety. The transition from off to on was very hard, I'm sure it needed some professional work, and the other side required either a trim to the safety or to the grip.

So, ordered one straight from Kimber. This one is pinned. No problem with the transition from off to on, and no need to trim either the right side safety or grip.

Problem is that operating the safety from the right side, does not actually move the left side enough to engage/disengage. the center connection between the two is not tight enough. In addition, the left side safety will then flex to the left of the frame and wants to come out entirely. When operating the safety from the left side, your thumb keeps it tight to the frame, and there is no problem

I did some experimentation with the factory single safety, and it does the same thing. You don't notice this till you play with it. Normal operation keeps the safety tight to the frame.

It appears to me that the grip safety does not keep the 2 halves tightly together. And, the safety lock plunger is not keeping the left side safety up against the frame. The plunger appears to be fine, but seems like this must be the problem.

I have several other 1911's, and none of them have this problem. The safety lock plunger rides in the thumb safety so as to keep it pushed up against the frame in both on and off and transition positions.

I've installed ambi safeties on these others and never had a problem.

I have not called Kimber yet, too late. I suspect however that their standard response will be, take it to a gunsmith. However, I can not see what anyone could do in this situation. Not sure where you could remove material to help.

Anyone ever experieced this, or have any ideas?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good point. I didn't notice it being loose. However I took and measured it to the best of my ability, and it appears that the back of the plunger is further away from the frame by somewhere between 5 and 10 thousandths.

Would seem like the place to start.

#4 ·
The way to check it is to take a light under the tube with slide off and safety out and use a small drill bit slide it in the tube and put pressure i didnt say torque on it just slight pressure on the tube away from frame if you get daylight start there .. cuz its loose..

Most of the makers now adays seem to have forgotten how to stake the tube .. every used 1911but 1. i have bought in the past 3 years had a loose plunger tube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.