I confess, I did it (bought a 7.62 Russian Nagant revolver)

This is a discussion on I confess, I did it (bought a 7.62 Russian Nagant revolver) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At a gunshow in Durant OK the middle of November there it was, a Russian Nagant Revolver, with holster and cleaning tool. 150 smackers and ...

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar

At a gunshow in Durant OK the middle of November there it was, a Russian Nagant Revolver, with holster and cleaning tool. 150 smackers and it was mine. Sad fact is I haven't had a chance to shoot it. I waited until Turkey holiday as I visited my best friend. He has the same gun and has already reloaded, purchasing he dies and getting infor from the web. Bad weather kept us in at his place over the weekend and now I'm home, with the gun and ammo, I come down sick. Nothing serious, but let's just say yesterday I was tethered to the toilet.
    As clunky as the gun looked I haave begun to like it, it balances much better than I expected and after good oiling the SA trigger is actually not bad. If anyone else has one of these one of a kind in design revolvers I'd like to hear your stories.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Mine was pretty cheap, around $100. It came with a holster,cleaning rod and lanyard.The date on mine is 1914 and is in excellent condition. I shot the yellow box Russian target stuff through it and the Russian stuff made the gun feel like an airsoft, only with lots of smoke and gagging.Very accurate and have still not found a use for it other than just some range fun and making people wonder what the heck I'm shooting.

If I were to buy ammo right now I'd buy the Hotshot ammo however,I'm waiting for Wolf to come out with some ammo in their Gold line hoping its up to original military standards even if they were low velocity.

I seem to remember seeing ads in SGN of people selling cal. 32 replacement cylinders for the Nagant. I haven't seen the ads lately, but the .32 cylinders are out there .... somewhere.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

I think these guys have the cylinder nuparadigm mentioned.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1059
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

You can for sure win the ugly dog contest with one of these, but they are fun to shoot and tend to draw onlookers.

Bought mine over 5 years ago for well under a hundred, picked up a set of Lee dies and cobbled up several loads using cast bullets that have surprised me. One ragged hole at ten yards using Lee's 100 gr RN cast over 3.0 of BE & lubed with Alox. (and mine has a far less than perfect bore) If you reload there's little call for the add in cylinders that'l cost you just as much as the gun did in the first place!

Single action on mine is quite good, but DA was quite heavy, I managed to solve part of the heavy pull issue by finding a coil spring replacement for the cylinder internal one and lightened it considerable.

A bit of work on the mainspring would easily bring it down much more but haven't got around to it yet.

Bottom line is that they're fun pieces of history and well worth fooling with.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    my buddy has one i liked it but 2 expensive for me to shoot he said the ammo was 35$ a box

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    my buddy has one i liked it but 2 expensive for me to shoot he said the ammo was 35$ a box
    Too true.

-B

Sounds like it could be fun, but expensive to shoot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I like to shoot mine. I haven't bought any 7.62 Nagant for it yet. (the prices scare me) but I have shot some .32 S & W long out of it. Pretty neat and it sounds like a cap gun compaired to the .45. LOL.

32 s&w longs

DITO. I hav been shooting 32 S&W longs through mine. No problems and it is alot cheaper than the factory 7.62x38 ammo.

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I knew I had ready access to ammunition, my friend who reloads. He gave me 75 rounds he had made up for early Christmas! I can save the brass and eventually get him to reload for a dime or so each, just his cost as he likes to do it. He is an engineer by education and is VERY precise. I am recovering from the crud and may finally shoot the gun this weekend. I live in the country and can as long as it is not something really powerful all I have to do is go out to my yard.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Links