Mittens/gloves

Mittens/gloves

This is a discussion on Mittens/gloves within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wasn't sure where to put this so please move if appropriate. I live in MN and if you have seen the weather the snow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mittens/gloves

Mittens/gloves

I wasn't sure where to put this so please move if appropriate. I live in MN and if you have seen the weather the snow is really coming down today. That coupled with the cold in the teens necessitates wearing something on the hands. Now I find mittens to be the warmest but for obvious reasons they are not what you want if you have to draw and fire your gun in self-defense. I also have a really nice pair of warm, but not as warm as the mittens, shooting gloves I bought from Cabela’s. So I hit upon the idea of wearing a mitten on my left hand and a shooting glove on my right, dominate, hand. (I actually carry both pairs in my coat pocket.) Now others may have been doing this all along but I never heard anyone suggest it before so I thought I would throw this out for all of you living in the cold north.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Can you perform all of the manipulations that your chosen weapon requires? If so, what about switching to your off hand in the event of injury? If those questions are answered to your satisfaction, why not?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

VIP Member
    It's cold for the BG too, wear mittens over your gloves and pull the strong hand mitten off when you need to or are getting in a tight space.

Lead Moderator
    I wear thinsulate lined(and spectra) Hatch leather frisk gloves. It may not be as warm as mitts, but I can operate my gun with em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Its to cold to go outside. Just stay inside where it is safe, or at least you don't need gloves LOL. It is in the 80s here, I don't see how you can do anything in that weather up there. Good luck.

It's not a prefect solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Can you perform all of the manipulations that your chosen weapon requires? If so, what about switching to your off hand in the event of injury? If those questions are answered to your satisfaction, why not?
    That is for sure. Switching to my off hand would mean I would have to loose the mitten real fast. In the cold without some kind of glove or mitten my hand would be too frozen to be of much use so this seems to work pretty well.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Lead Moderator
    No kidding. I stood outside without my gloves for about 5 min. today. My hand was white it got so cold. I still had some feeling, but not nearly full dexterity .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I buy a pair of neoprene gloves every year. If I can find the ones with a cut out in the trigger finger, I'm even happier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a pair of these and I was surprised at how warm they are. The palms get kind of cold if they are out of the pocket and not on the gun though.

http://www.hatch-corp.com/detail.aspx?pid=NS430

I was thinking about getting a pair or mittens or something to put on over them for very cold weather. then I could just pull the outside pair off and have still have nice shooting gloves on. Anywho, I'm not sure what I want to try for this winter.

EDIT: Looking further, they also make them in winter versions.

http://www.hatch-corp.com/detail.aspx?pid=NS430L

ree
    I wear mittens most of the time because my circulation is poor unless I'm doing something active, and even then it takes a while for my hands to warm up. If I wear gloves that are snug enough to work my weapon, they are way too tight to allow air movement inside to keep all my fingers warm. So I'm resigned to having to yank my mitten off to use the gun. Good thing about my sheepskin mittens is that they come off very easily.

If you remember Darrel Mulroy, he told me in a class ages ago that he knew a trooper who'd wear large mittens and carry a small gun inside the mitten when initiating stops in the boonies during our cold winters. Obviously, that's a technique reserved for very specific scenarios, but I thought it was a cool idea.

yea my mittons/gloves i cant wear while shooting. for this reason if i am an a not so great area - like walking back to my apt from the parking lot. i take my right one off and stick my right hand in my flease lined jacket pocket.
    also practice glove off and draw.
    actually i now that i think about it i could probably draw and fire with my gloves if i had to

I'm staying here in Texas. Brrr...!

This reminds me It's time to get out to the hills and practice with my gloves on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links