Carrying a firearm around my infant son.....

This is a discussion on Carrying a firearm around my infant son..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son was born on November 1st, and I plan on introducing him to self defense and firearms when he's old enough. I will have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a firearm around my infant son.....

My son was born on November 1st, and I plan on introducing him to self defense and firearms when he's old enough. I will have my CCW permit shortly, and I already carry whenever I'm at home. The things I'm wondering about are (a) what's the best way to teach him about firearms (especially how to respect them), and (b) at what age should I start thinking about it? I'm hoping that some other parents are willing to provide some pointers. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    (offtopic: Congrats On The Baby Boy !!!!! Thats So Awsome)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I started shooting at age 8 or 9 I believe. 22 bolt action rifle

From what I understand the NRA has some excellent literature on the subject of introducing your children to firearms...

Congrats by the way.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

First, congrats on the baby!!! I have a 7 month old at home now. Definitely exciting times! Immediately, I would take precautions to not bring lead home after shooting and to clean the firearms outside the house where the cleaning chemicals will not get near the baby. Lead from shooting and the cleaning chemicals are dangerous for babies and children.

I am anal about not bringing lead into the home. When I come home from the range, I disrobe and go right to the shower. The shoes/boots I use when shooting never come inside the house (they stay in the garage). If I use a gun I will be carrying in the house, I clean it. I also try to get the lead particulates out of any holster I use at the range (wipe down a kydex holster or use compressed air to "blow out" my leather holster). My range clothes are washed separately from other clothes, especially baby clothes.

Make sure you have a good gun safe and either keep the firearm in a quality holster on your person or secured in the safe. IMO, off body or unsecured are just asking for trouble. Kid-proof your guns now when they are only at your home. You will have time later to gun-proof your kids when they get a little older (see the Eddie Eagle Program from the NRA).

As to your original question, I do not know the answer to that. Right now my plans are to wait until my boy gets old enough to understand firearms and shows maturity. Then onto airsoft and a 22lr rifle as his maturity and discipline dictate. Definitely want to get him ready for deer hunting by the time he is 12 if I can.

Again, congrats!

Every kid is different. I've known some kids with BB guns at 8 who were very responsible, others at 10...BB'd every window in the backyard...(needed an attitude adjustment on the proper use of weapons)...not my kid, but a neighbor who had a 'glass shop' at home.

When we were living in Alaska, my boys were around 8 or 9 when I let them begin learning about firearms and firearm safety. Never had a problem with weapons with either one...and they never touched my guns that were just in the closet. Now that they are both in their 30's, they both said that they knew enough to leave the weapons alone, period!

It's never too early to talk about firearm safety...for both around your own home or someone else's.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm no parent, but I can say that I don't remember the first time I fired a rifle. When I got old enough to want to, I was allowed to shoot almost anytime I wanted; the key was that Dad or Granddaddy had to know and be with me. I credit that with my never playing with guns when no one was around.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Congratulations on the baby! My opinion is start them early. How early you ask? When they are talking in sentences, like around 3 or so. Kids that age are very curious, what I did was to let my sons see me cleaning/repairing/refinishing guns and to answer all of their questions about them. I told them that they were not toys and that they were never to touch them unless I was there. My sons are 5 and 9 now, and anytime they want to look at one (usually while I'm cleaning it) they always ask. My 9 year old is a pretty fair shot with a .22...my 5 year old has shot before, but it was with me holding the rifle and him squeezing the trigger. If you take out the mystery surrounding guns, they will most likely ask to touch rather than touch without asking.

I was around guns at an early age.
    I think my family used gun oil on me instead of baby oil.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

1st of all Congrats!!!
    As for me and my view on teaching kids. You are the only one who can make that call. They're never to young to learn about the dangers of handling a weapon. But with my kids, I always try to gauge their level of interest in firearms. For example, my 2 sons were very interested. So at about 8 years old I took them in the backyard with a bolt action, single shot .22. And I observed how well they listened and handled the gun. And progressed fom there. Now they will shoot a .22 revolver and 10 shot .22 rifle. But they are still nervous about the 9mm pistol. So, in time I will teach them about that one. Now my 8 yr old daughter is very curious. The wife thinks shes too young. But I feel that when they start to show this curiosity, it is my reponsibility to teach them, and show them. Assuming that I feel that they are mature enough and reponsible enough to do it correctly.
    You are the parent, you have to make the call.
    There's no rulebook, and no instruction manual on being a dad.
    CW

Greg,
    Thanks for not letting me be the only one, so far, with a 3 yr old enrolled in "Gun Basics 00101".
    He turned 3 Nov 27th and I'm buying him a BB gun next week.
    He might not get it this year, but I'm buying it anyway.
    Packin, congrats on the young'un.
    As others have said, you'll have to make that decision based on your childs own development.
    My way of thinking is, the earlier a child is exposd to something, the sooner they will develop some form of relationship with it.
    And with some patient guidance, slowly mature into someone that has some level of competence, even mastery, of that particular item.
    I sat at the piano with mine when he was only a year old, just letting him listen to the notes and hitting a few keys.
    Before long, he would waddle over to the piano, reach up over his head to reach the keys and start makin' "music" on his own.
    Same with the guitar.
    Now, we "play" together regularly
    Same with my firearms.(Unloaded of course!!)
    I let him touch it, opened the slide so he could look inside.
    Let him spin the chamber or just hold it, with my help.
    All the while talking about it and making sure to keep it pointed AWAY from us.
    When he sees it on my hip now, he'll point and say "Dada, me see gun PLEEEEZE?"
    And I'll stop, unload, and go through another little handling session.
    But, I'm pleased to say that I notice just a little less wonderment and staring at it now that he has been exposed to them so much .
    I've laid an unloaded pistol on a table just to observe his reaction it and, at most, he has walked up to it, looked at it, never touched it and gone about his business.
    If his hand started going towards it, he would've heard Dads' voice in that unmistakable "I think I'm doing something I shouldn't" tone and inflection.
    I think he's going in the right direction.
    Just take time, as often as you feel necessary.
    Expose him to it and explain as much as you think he can comprehend at each level and you'll both do fine.
    Good luck!
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

I introduced guns to my boys when they were 3 years old...a la Eddie Eagle. As they got older and began to understand more (plus seeing them on TV), I showed them how they work and took them to the range to show them.

My oldest (now 11), got a .22 pistol for Christmas last year--however, as a responsible parent and gun owner, I keep it secured in my safe. When he wants to see it, all he has to do is ask (but it doesn't leave my sight).

Since my I've done this, I've reduced the mystery of guns...they don't need to see anyone else's gun, and they know what responsible gun ownership looks like. If it looks different than what I have trained them to recognize, they are to leave and find me (or another responsible adult).

Congrats and good luck
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Congratulations...some parenting points to ponder;

Having a baby changes everything.

It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping.

They don't grade fathers, but if you're daughter is a stripper, you f**ked up.

Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, than the raising of the next generation.
    The parents exist to teach the child, but also they must learn what the child has to teach them; and the child has a very great deal to teach them.

Becoming a parent is like traveling to a foreign country: you have no way of knowing beforehand what you’ll encounter once you get there.

I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.

Teach your young to say “I do not know” and you will make progress.

If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    When you teach your son, you teach your son’s son.

Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege than the raising of the next generation.

Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

You will never know how much your parents love you until you have kids of your own.

Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.

A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.

The great man is he who does not lose his child’s heart.

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.

Your child needs your love the most when he deserves it the least.

The attitude you have as a parent is what your kids will learn from more than what you tell them. They don’t remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.

Make a memory with your children, spend some time to show you care;
    Toys and trinkets can’t replace those precious moments that you share.
    Money doesn’t buy real pleasure, it doesn’t matter where you live;
    Children need your own attention, something only you can give.
    Childhood’s days pass all too quickly, happy memories all too few;
    Plan to do that special something, take the time to go or do.
    Make a memory with your children, take the time in busy days;
    Have some fun while they are growing, show your love in gentle ways.

Stop trying to perfect your child, but keep trying to perfect your relationship with him.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.

It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father.

You can take a test to see if you have the patience, flexibility and endurance to be a good parent. You take this test when your child reaches the age of two.

I could now afford all the things I never had as a kid, if I didn’t have kids.

Until you become a parent, you can’t begin to discover your capacity for strength, love and fatigue.

Truly successful parents are the ones saying, “Go on, you can do that, you’ll be great at that, you’ll be terrific.” By voicing such positive enforcement, our children get to believe in themselves and can do more, be more, achieve more. If we just say “no,” they’ll grow up with low self esteem and lacking in confidence.

Whatever they want to do, it is not your job to edit their dream, stand in their way, voice your concerns, limit their hopes, or discourage them in any way. Your job is to give guidance while supporting and encouraging. Your job is to give them the resources to achieve whatever it is they want to. Whether they do or don’t achieve is by the by. If they had a chance, that’s everything.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have been around firearms since ever since I can remember what a gun is and then some.
    Depending upon the lil' tyke's general attitude, you can start him as early as 5 or as late as 8 or 9. I would think, in order to get him used to the sight of a fire arm, is to raise him up with them. The sooner the better, he can identify them, slowly to be taught never to touch one, then when able, to tell an adult when he finds one plus never touch it, and on and on.... If I broke that rule, I felt the back of a hand, switch, or belt...
    It never ends.....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

its very important for children to be able to handle a gun if they want to and shoot one if they want to- under careful supervision of course. of course while also teaching the dangers of firearms. and that they must never ever touch one without your permission. teach them to show both you and the gun respect.
    the worst thing a parent can do is have a gun accessible and tell a child they must never touch it.

My wife and I have 5 kids ranging in age from the oldest at 17 to the youngest, twin boys age 5. All have shot and all are familiar with our guns. The twins too.

5 years old is the age when all or ours shot the first time and I started really teaching them about the guns in earnest. They all know that they are not toys and they should not treat them as such.

I open carry around the house and to be honest a good bit of the time around town during the summer. To my kids, Dad, and Mom, having a gun on them is just a normal part of life and all of them. except the twins so far, have commented to me and my wife that it seems strange when they go to a friends house and their parents are not wearing a gun. They say it makes them a little paranoid, like their friends family isn't prepared if someone tried to kick in the front door. That makes me feel good about our house and our preparedness.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links