San Fran idiots trying another "gun buyback" [MERGED]

This is a discussion on San Fran idiots trying another "gun buyback" [MERGED] within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; San Francisco does a "gun buy-back" This is on a local paper's website (The Palm Beach Post). It's the typical garbage letting everyone know that ...

Thread: San Fran idiots trying another "gun buyback" [MERGED]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

San Francisco does a "gun buy-back"

This is on a local paper's website (The Palm Beach Post). It's the typical garbage letting everyone know that criminals could turn in crime guns without any investigation into what those guns were used for, and others could turn in worthless guns for $150 to use toward newer, better guns.

Some excerpts:
    Among the 100 guns collected Saturday were 4 assault rifles and two sawed-off shotguns, said Mikail Ali, director of the mayor's office of criminal justice.

As Ali discussed the city's efforts to curb violence another man walked up with a large, black gun case. He took out a black assault rifle with a folding stock and pistol grip and turned it in.
    Oh, okay, people are turning in rifles worth probably over $800 to collect only $150? Just who are these morons who would turn in any "black rifle" for a $150 gift card?

California law makes owning an assault weapon illegal, but Gifts for Guns allows people to turn in their firearms without showing identification, and officials promise not to ask any questions about the guns' origins.

Once in police custody the guns are checked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to see if they were stolen. Ali said 99 percent of the guns recovered are destroyed and, if the guns were stolen, they are returned to their owners, if possible.
    Great. So what we're doing is paying for the possibility of having felons turn in guns that if they had been caught with them a day earlier, might have done 10 years in prison for possessing them. What a great plan. Let's let criminals get rid of crime evidence and pay them for it!

Who wants to wager on how ardently they try to place the guns with their rightful owners? The whole point of the plan is to take guns away from civilians: it would be self-defeating if they were trying to give back the guns they take in, so who rally believes they are trying that hard?

I loved what the last guy quoted had to say, though.

VIP Member

San Fransico making streets safer for criminals

San Francisco Offers Gift Cards for Guns
    By JASON DEAREN (Associated Press Writer)
    From Associated Press
    December 01, 2007 11:37 PM EST
    SAN FRANCISCO - A man carrying a semiautomatic handgun approached a group of San Francisco police officers Saturday afternoon and, with a smile, handed over the pistol in exchange for $150 in gift cards.

"I used to fire it at bottles or do some plinking in the woods," said the gun's owner, 48-year-old Bruce Bourne. "But I have a 6-year-old daughter now and my wife was uncomfortable with it being in the house."

For a few hours on a sunny yet brisk Saturday, San Francisco police officers accepted 100 guns from about 80 people in the city's second "Gifts for Guns" event. The first event in July brought in 117 handguns and 2 shotguns.

The idea is to make the streets seem a little safer when the city's murder rate has risen in recent years - San Francisco has had at least 89 homicides so far this year.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...71201153430467

Until they have a program like a "Turn a Criminal" they are just wasting their time.

VIP Member
    Merging these threads....
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

If they had a Turn in a Felon , dead or alive no Questions asked it would do more good.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    If they had a Turn in a Felon , dead or alive no Questions asked it would do more good.
    Thats good!

Just because they turn in the weapons and aren't prosecuted for having them at that time, it doesn't mean the Po=Po aren't going to see if they can lift prints and do ballistics on those gun to match them to crimes.

"Once in police custody the guns are checked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to see if they were stolen. Ali said 99 percent of the guns recovered are destroyed and, if the guns were stolen, they are returned to their owners, if possible."

And like we suspect, some people are just using the program to cash in - and G0D bless them for doing it.

"But not everyone participating in the gun program Saturday believed it was helpful.

Peter Buxtun, a 70-year-old gun advocate, turned in two pistols Saturday that he said were worthless. He collected $300 in gift cards.

"You can buy junk guns for $10 and then use the gift cards to buy new guns," he said. "I saw a half-dozen uniformed SF police officers taken off the street to sit for hours in a City Hall photo-op, instead of patrolling certain drug-ridden and gang-infested neighborhoods."

If I knew a town was going to do that, I'd be out collecting junk and turning it in too.

Mitchell, I agree.
    I read of people doing that here in West Palm Beach, too.

Then there was one ooooold guy who turned in some antique Japanese test proof rifle of some sort; he later found out that it was worth like $5000, and he appealed to them to let him have it back, and after some hemming and hawing, they finally did give it back to the guy.

I did not support the idea of them doing so. I feel, hey, if this moron decided to "sell it back" to the police for destruction, because he fell for the whole idiotic idea that somehow everyone's made safer when even good people divest themselves of guns, let him suffer for his stupid mistake. Oh well.

I remember one gun writer several years ago when this **** started who took old gun parts on his work bench and "built" guns; there was no way they would work, and he spot welded parts together, but he would turn them in, take the money, and buy or lay-away a new gun.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

That's funny!

I could swear I've heard of TOY gun buybacks... can anyone confirm that they've been done? I'd hit the dollar store and buy a load of cheap crappy ones and make some money off that, if I knew of one around here. Do they exist? I could swear I've read about them...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Mitchell, I agree.
    I read of people doing that here in West Palm Beach, too.

Then there was one ooooold guy who turned in some antique Japanese test proof rifle of some sort; he later found out that it was worth like $5000, and he appealed to them to let him have it back, and after some hemming and hawing, they finally did give it back to the guy.

I did not support the idea of them doing so. I feel, hey, if this moron decided to "sell it back" to the police for destruction, because he fell for the whole idiotic idea that somehow everyone's made safer when even good people divest themselves of guns, let him suffer for his stupid mistake. Oh well.
    Stupid should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Stupid should be painful.
    Yup. But in this case, stupid's sting was removed for him by other stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I remember one gun writer several years ago when this **** started who took old gun parts on his work bench and "built" guns; there was no way they would work, and he spot welded parts together, but he would turn them in, take the money, and buy or lay-away a new gun.
    Now this is an idea I like!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links