States hunting laws

States hunting laws

This is a discussion on States hunting laws within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was just reading that Wisconsin recently changed their law, allowing bow hunters to carry firearms as protection against predators. Got me to thinking... In my ...

Thread: States hunting laws

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

States hunting laws

Was just reading that Wisconsin recently changed their law, allowing bow hunters to carry firearms as protection against predators. Got me to thinking...

In my state, Virginia, there are state game laws, and there are county by county laws in additon, which are referenced in the state pamphlet handouts.

For instance, Southampton County is currently the only county in VA to disallow muzzleloaders. Don't believe what anybody says, this is done to protect bucks til the shotgunners can get to them. There was a lot of dancing last year between a muzzleloading fan and the board of supervisors, but I heard it from some land owners' mouths what the truth was.

Which other states have localities imposing additional regulations on hunters?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    MI has a rifle/ shotgun line. Mostly due to less space/more people. Some counties are regulated with doe harvests and baiting , but its all decided at the state level.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - PGC (PA Game Commission) is IIRC applied across the board - and thus far haven't heard of any local variations.

Have only hunted in my own county and so be interested to hear from other Keystoners if they have any special restrictions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

When I lived in WI the warden said as long as the weapon wasn't being used to take game it was allowed under open carry laws.

Ever since I was 18 I carried a handgun openly out hunting.

MIchigan folks who have a CCP can carry concealed while bow hunting anywhere in the state.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    MIchigan folks who have a CCP can carry concealed while bow hunting anywhere in the state.
    Is it all hunting we can carry concealed now?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    In the list of places not to carry to in Tennessee, hunting during archery-only season is one of them.

To legally hunt with a handgun, it must have a barrel length of at least four inches. I have commonly carried an SnDub K frame with a four inch barrel. It came in handy last year when I got a bad shot and left my rifle in the truck while I tracked a deer for four hours.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Is it all hunting we can carry concealed now?
    Yes, as of last year. Same time the law was changed regarding state parks.

Texas the laws hunting laws are from the state. Each county may have different limits or whatever, antler restictions other things. Other states I have hunted they are set by zone, but the regulations are set by the state, not localities.

We can carry concealed during archery season here in Texas if you have a CHL. Others without the CHL are not permitted to concealed carry. The way that I understand it is that you technically aren't supposed to carry a firearm during archery season with out a CHL, but I know others that do in case they see a feral hog or other legal game during the archery season. I think this is a touch area, and would depend on the game warden and situation.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Was just reading that Wisconsin recently changed their law, allowing bow hunters to carry firearms as protection against predators. Got me to thinking...

In my state, Virginia, there are state game laws, and there are county by county laws in additon, which are referenced in the state pamphlet handouts.

For instance, Southampton County is currently the only county in VA to disallow muzzleloaders. Don't believe what anybody says, this is done to protect bucks til the shotgunners can get to them. There was a lot of dancing last year between a muzzleloading fan and the board of supervisors, but I heard it from some land owners' mouths what the truth was.

Which other states have localities imposing additional regulations on hunters?
    Yeah...It makes hunting here like throwing darts at the state map. You never know how you're going to end up depending on which county you land on. One of my few irks about my otherwise lovely state.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

We recently saw I very large cougar on my 400 acres in SW Oklahoma while setting up tree stands. Oklahoma allows those with CCW to carry while bow hunting. I gave my daughter her Kel-Tec P3AT before getting her CCW because of that. While she is walking into her stand she has the P3AT in her hand because I figure there would be no time to react any other way. I know it's not quite legal for her but I don't want to take a chance with her life and she would never use it unless necessary. I've carried my concealed handgun since I got my CCW while bow hunting. I don't always carry while rifle hunting but lately we've had problems with poachers too so I'm going to stick with having a hand gun on me at all times.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links