Pennsylvania laws regarding carrying firearms

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania laws regarding carrying firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Buddy called me about something that got his wife concerned. She was walking back to their appartment and in the parking lot there was someone ...

Thread: Pennsylvania laws regarding carrying firearms

Buddy called me about something that got his wife concerned. She was walking back to their appartment and in the parking lot there was someone strolling with a rifle slung across his shoulder. Don't ask me what kind of rifle cause all I got from her was that it was a gun :D

So... what are the rules regarding transporting firearms in PA?

Thanks

It is my understanding that as long is it not a state of emergency they would be ok doing that. If I read it correctly you need to have a concealed carry license to carry any firearm during a state of emergency. That being said unless you are going to or from a reasonable place carrying a weapon like that you are likely to get hassled. IE coming home from range, taking it to be repaired. Legal or not if you wanted to carry a rifle on a whim I think you are just going to stir up a lot of hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofgore View Post
    It is my understanding that as long is it not a state of emergency they would be ok doing that. If I read it correctly you need to have a concealed carry license to carry any firearm during a state of emergency. That being said unless you are going to or from a reasonable place carrying a weapon like that you are likely to get hassled. IE coming home from range, taking it to be repaired. Legal or not if you wanted to carry a rifle on a whim I think you are just going to stir up a lot of hornets.
    cool, thanks. I kind of figured that PA rules are way more lax then what I'm used to in CA. I"ll pass it on to him with a warning that if a character looks shady go the other way. Interesting thing is that they lived in the same are afor 5 years and it wasn't till now that they encountered a person openly carrying a rifle in the apartment complex parking lot which I can see how it would cause them a reason for concern.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Where did this happen? It's rifle season in PA right now and she probably saw a hunter coming back from the hunt. Open carry in that context is legal.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Forgot to add: Refer her to PA Title 18 Chap 61 for all you could ever want to know about PA's firearms laws.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Buddy called me about something that got his wife concerned. She was walking back to their appartment and in the parking lot there was someone strolling with a rifle slung across his shoulder. Don't ask me what kind of rifle cause all I got from her was that it was a gun :D

So... what are the rules regarding transporting firearms in PA?

Thanks
    It has been deer hunting season around here. I'm pretty sure its cool to "open" carry as long as its not loaded. PA is lax on stuff like that. We got a D- on the Brady Bunch website... we need to push harder for that F

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - Buck rifle season - not at all uncommon to see a rifle slung on shoulder or just carried. As long as it is unloaded no problem.

In fact if revo used for hunting that is meant to stay visible too - I remember when I had my Raging Bull in hunting holster having no bad responses if i went into a store etc. This area, sorta SW, is pretty hunting/gun oriented
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    As long as it is unloaded no problem.
    Why is it necessary for the rifle to be unloaded?

Are there statues in the PA code that disallow open carry of rifles?

Administrator
    This might help. Pennsylvania

Carry
    Any person carrying a firearm "in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person" is required to have a license to carry or a Sportsman's Firearm Permit (good only for hunting and fishing).

Exceptions: No license is required:

to carry a firearm in one's home or fixed place of business.

when engaged in target shooting or while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, so long as the firearm is unloaded and the ammunition is carried in a separate container.

for law enforcement personnel, including: policemen, jail wardens, sheriffs and their deputies.

to carry an unloaded and wrapped firearm from place of purchase to one's home or place of business, to or from a place of repair, "or in moving from one place of abode or business to another."

to carry while hunting or fishing or going to the place of hunting or fishing, provided one has a hunting or fishing license and a Sportsman's Firearm Permit.

The Sportsman's Firearm Permit is valid only for sporting purposes and does not authorize the carrying of a loaded handgun in a vehicle.
    It is obtained by applying to the county treasurer.
    The applicant must present his hunting or fishing license and pay a fee of $6.00.
    The permit is valid for five years, but must be carried with a valid hunting or fishing license.

The state legislature has preempted the field of firearms regulation: "No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession or transportation of firearms when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sounds ok to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sponsored Links