Took Daughter to the Range

This is a discussion on Took Daughter to the Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my 12 YOA daughter to the local range for "lady's night". She shot my Hi Power and had a great time. She is ...

Thread: Took Daughter to the Range

I took my 12 YOA daughter to the local range for "lady's night". She shot my Hi Power and had a great time. She is no Annie Oakley but I think she definitely has the shooting bug now. Ol' Dad sat back and let someone else coach her. Man it was hard not to go out there and add my $0.02 but I managed to refrain. She seems to respond better to others coaching. Grumble Grumble Grumble For those of you with daughters, should I try to coach her now or leave that in other capable hands? I've coached others and had good success. I coached a friends wife, Val, for her CCW permit and she did so well that my wife got miffed that I bragged on Val so much. What do you guys think? OK, I know the answer. I guess I'm looking for any excuse to train the young'un myself. This is hard on Ol' Dad.

Awsome, just keep up the positive reinforcement! Any good advice is better than none.

I feel like I've done a good job with my (4) girls... They've had some input from others, but I did the introductions and thoroughly covered the basics with them... heavy on the safety!

It's a very individual thing... and don't turn down qualified help!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I started my youngest daughter on a 22 rifle and coached her myself..now fast foward 6 years..shes a dead shot with her buckmark..scary accurate, wish I had 18yr old eyes again, and always wants to shoot the BFR 45/70, and hopes to be in the fbi once she graduates..bomb and arson investigation.

You are a great dad! Raising a daughter who will know and appreciate how to defend herself...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hope to work with her on dry firing this week end, emphasizing not squeezing the grip when squeezing the trigger. With dry firing she should be able to see what she is doing/not doing when the sear breaks. I may take her to the range and let her try out the .22 conversion kit for my 1911.

Keep up the good work! Spending quality time at the range with your daughter is one of the things you'll both remember forever :)

Here's a recent picture of my oldest. I'll never forget taking her to the range her first time! (yeah, I'm a proud papa)

Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I thought mine to shoot starting about 6 years old.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Since we are posting daughter pictures...

here's my little girl.
    Attached Images
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I took daughter back to the range Sunday night and again to Lady's Night. I switched her to the 1911 with a .22 conversion kit. She shot a lot better after a little coaching from Dad on Sunday. I just had to do a little myself. Tonight Chuck, her coach from two weeks ago, coached her again and she was better yet. I wish she would slow down but she likes to shoot fast. That will come I guess but she is enjoying it and that is enoughfor now. I think I'll get her a brick of .22s for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Catfish View Post
    I wish she would slow down but she likes to shoot fast.
    Let her have fun... Accuracy and good technique can come later.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Catfish View Post
    I think I'll get her a brick of .22s for Christmas!
    There's not a better gift to be had at any price. Not only is it hours of enjoyment, and building skills for a lifetime, it's also quality time with Dad. What could be better?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I have found that is depends on the activity whether or not I can coach my children...If they are taking to my coaching I will keep it up...but if not I turn it over.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member
    As the old saw goes, "If you take your 'boy' huntin', you won't be huntin' your boy!"

Links