Stainless steel glock slides - Page 2

Stainless steel glock slides

This is a discussion on Stainless steel glock slides within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The top is my G23 with the nickel slide.. (sold) Bottom is my G19 with an NP3 slide by Robar....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless steel glock slides

The top is my G23 with the nickel slide.. (sold)

Bottom is my G19 with an NP3 slide by Robar.

I simply don't know why anyone would take off the tenifer finish and redo it in hard chrome; all they really have to do is just remove the black parkerizing, and you have virtually the same treatment, with the same corrosion and wear resistance. To me, the key to these guns is not really making the slide tolerances tighter, it has been the trigger, the heart of any good accurate firearm. if Glock could do a redesign on their triggers to make them smoother, they would solve any minute problems anyone had with accuracy.....

Personally, I leave my 34 just as it came out of the box. And it works just fine.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

From my point of view, this is purely a matter of aesthetics...I like the look of the two-tone Glocks, they're unique. Why can't my deadly force implement be beautiful as well as functional....a la a well crafted Katana...
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I've wanted to get a SS slide for my 34 competition gun just to add some flash.

tenifer is not part of the glock black finish, it is a metal treatment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenifer

Tenifer is a trademarked name for the end result of a chemical bath nitriding process that embeds nitrogen into an iron-containing alloy to create a corrosion-resistant finish that is a dull grey in color and extremely hard. The generic term for this type of process is carbonitriding. Other trade names for carbonitriding include Melonite, Sursulf, Arcor, Tufftride, and Koline.

Glock, an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes this process to protect the slides of the pistols they manufacture. The Tenifer finish on a Glock is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 millimeters thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C (diamond cone) hardness rating via a 500 °C nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. Several other pistols also use this process including the Walther P99 and Steyr M/S series.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links